Forum Member

What are the class president responsibilities??

So my department is sending me to the Academy this January. I've been told I should run for class president by one of my co-workers. I'm not sure what a class president does, and I'm sure each academy is different. I don't get any extra credit for it, it's more work for me, but also comes with some possitive outcomes as well.

Can any give their opinion on a class president and what he/she does and the weight load they may carry while in the class.
    Last edited by vigil2448; 12-19-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Which Academy are you attending?
    "In the fury of this darkest hour, we will be your light"

Forum Member

It's at the local community college in Pueblo, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Trauma_Diddy View Post
    Which Academy are you attending?

Si vis pacem, para bellum
    I'm headed to the one in Delta starting next month and I hear we have the same position. I can only guess that its similar to "Platoon Guide" in US army Basic Training. The person is in charge of dispersing information to the recruits from the drill sergeants, setting up fire watch schedules (night watch in the army), and similar tasks. As for our respective academies.... I have no clue....lol
    "In the fury of this darkest hour, we will be your light"

Forum Member

The class pres in my academy took all the crap for our screw ups. Not a job I would want.

Honor. Pride. Integrity.
    Being the class president is an awesome opportunity and can increase your chances of getting hired. Some academies call it class leader, and other call it class president. Either way, in my academy our class leader was the head of all of the recruits and oversaw the three squad leaders who in turn oversaw about 6 recruits each. It is the beginning of getting the recruits to start understanding the chain of command and how it works. The class leader was responsible for making sure the entire class was in check from routine class inspection to paper work/memos, and leading the class while marching and other important drills.

Is it hard work and more than others have to do? Yes, undoubtedly but when you graduate and an agency is looking at you vs others, its one more thing that stands out and will give you an edge. It shows a lot to a recruiter when they can already see you've established your ability to lead and have verifiable experience. I would say if you think you can handle yourself and want to show it, apply for the position.
    Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. - Matthew 5:9

Welcome to the greatest show on earth......

Forum Member

The title you want in the Academy is the title of EMPLOYED But since your department is sponsoring you, I assume you already have a job waiting? This is my view assuming you already are EMPLOYED and arent job hunting. If you are job hunting, ACrowley has some good points.
    I have been in LE for 13 years now. I was an FTO for about 5. SWAT, SWAT trainer, Narc, Flight Officer, now a pilot. I dont ever recall asking any trainee or any of my beat partners if they were class president. Short story....nobody cares. Just like Boot Camp. In the 5 minutes immediately following graduation, nobody cares who you were in boot camp. You all show up to Infantry School as nasty Privates! Same thing. Just added stress you dont need for a position that nobody cares about. Concentrate on academics, shooting and PT scores. Some academies have the "Trench Award" or "Gunfight Award" something like that. Where everyone votes who they would want next to them when it hits the fan. Thats the one I would want.
    My class President had to lead PT, got yelled at, had to schedule people for their scenarios and other things. Had to be there early and left late. When we graduated he was working right along side me with a department full of other Deps who could have cared less too. He resigned 2 years later and opened an insurance office. I graduated #11 out of 22 and have literally done everything and more than I ever dreamed I would. So those are my thoughts.
    Last edited by FlyingPig1; 12-19-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Forum Member
    I was selected in my class. While it was neat to help people out and maybe steer the class in the right direction for the most part it just meant when the class screwed up I got the chew'n for it and I didn't get any real special recognition for it. Alot of making sure everyone else is squared away and making for sure your more squared away. Looks pretty bad if the class leader doesn't get an A on the test or shoot in the 90%'s or PT in the top 10 guys of the class. It was an experience but I don't think it enhanced my academy training any. It certainly hasn't been anything that has impressed my coworkers since I have finished training. JMHO. Some may have a different point of view.
    "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

Forum Member
    I wouldn't touch a leadership position at the academy with a 10 foot pole. The class leader or squad leaders has extra responibilities, which equates to less time to study, practice defensive tactics, play Wii, drink, etc. You also get the added bonus of having the majority of your classmates not liking you because you're the one that has to report problems to administration.

As previous posters have stated, there is no benefit to being a class leader. No one is going to care about it once you're out of the academy. The only time I would possibly consider it is if I was in an academy run by the department I was hired with. At least there, it might possibly get your name on the map a little earlier, but that's not even likely.
    Not me...Not my partner...Not on this shift...NOT TODAY!!!

Forum Member
    We had a class President and someone who was the overall squad leader. An academy CO I guess is what you would call him. The class President was in charge of making the class yearbook, the class graduation party and a few other responsibilities. The class CO however was in charge of far more and was the one who got chewed out if something didn't go exactly how the director wanted it to go.
    This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Forum Member

If you already have a job lined up at graduation I’d totally skip it.

What are your FTO’s going to care you were class president? That’s like being the smart kid on the short bus.

I was treasure and it created a bunch of work I didn’t get any credit for, nor will anyone really care when I interview. The class president was much the same, and he was responsible for keeping us apprised of what was going on and giving us “pep talks”.

I say leave the president opening up for someone who doesn’t have a job lined up and needs something to shine on their resume.

My academy pretty much selected our class officers by default after we each gave our own short autobiographies to the class. My class president was an Army Captain, West Point graduate and armor platoon leader. He’s now a Secret Service Agent. He gained nothing from the experience. I was selected because of my financial background, and over seeing millions of dollars in assets and I gained nothing from the experience.

Let the younger ones with no real life responsibilities carry the load and buffer their resume for that first job.

Example: You already have a LEO job, so after 5 years if you lateral are you going to mention on your resume you were academy class president?

It’s just not worth it. I took the treasurer slot because no one else wanted it and I was approached by my classmates. My logic was it would be a lot less difficult for me to do than anyone else.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

Forum Member

I agree with the others, unless you really want a meaningless position of minor power, but with a lot of added stress and responsibilities, I'd skip it.

Forum Boss
    Quote Originally Posted by vigil2448 View Post
    What does the class president responsibilities??
    What are the responsibilities of a class president

Quote Originally Posted by vigil2448 View Post
    I don't get any extra credit for it, it's more work for me, but also comes with some possitive outcomes as well.
    Positive

They'll be looking for that sort of thing, too.

If you already have a C.O.E., I'd skip it. It gives an edge to those who haven't already been hired on with an agency. If you have, it's not as necessary for you. If you really want to be the best, go for it. If you just want to do the academy, have plenty of time to learn, MAYBE some time to relax, don't do it.

Good luck.

Can any give their opinion on a class president and what he/she does and the weight load they may carry while in the class.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by mitojo View Post
    I was once thanked by two citizens in one day. Weird.

Honor. Pride. Integrity.
    Due to the fact that you are already hired as you stated, my advice wouldn't be a game changer. I would tell you to forget about it and stay away. For those who are self sponsored, it means you will want things to make you stand apart from others though, and when recruiters come to the academy, they will look at those things.

I mistakingly thought you were self sponsoring, my bad. Yes, as others have voiced out, it is filled with a lot more stress and unwanted work. You are already employed, so impressing people has been fulfilled due to the fact you have a job. Just let some other person volunteer for that position and relax on your end......
    Last edited by ACrowley; 12-21-2010 at 02:55 PM.
    Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. - Matthew 5:9

Welcome to the greatest show on earth......

FORUM STUD
    I say go for it

Forum Member

You already have a job and nobody cares when your in FTO, so why worry about the extra duties in the academy. I really wanted to be a class officer myself, but I was self sponsored and for some reason the officers always get jobs. I've already outlasted a few of the class officers from my academy in the job and all I had to worry about was myself and passing the tests. If anything just leave it open to the guys who need jobs.
    I enjoy life on the dirtroad