Page 6 of 99 First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 56 ... Last
Like Tree808Likes

Thread: Illinois State Police

Forum Member

Great News! I'm currently in the pool like many others are. Should I test again? Or just sit and wait? I'm not sure if testing would reset my status in the pool. Get out there and run guys! Best of luck to everyone with the testing process.

Forum Member

You are not allowed to test again. Please don't waste your time. They sent an email about 6 mos ago stating that the current eligibilty list will not expire yet. They will not be happy if you do!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by twhitt10 View Post
    ISPCAPT; I can only imageine the satisfaction you receive from seeing some the guys go on patrol and have shared their gratitude for your info.
    I started with the ISP over 30 years ago Times were tought then to get hired just like a lot of times throughout history. Good times, bad times, it's always cyclic. You have to learn to ride the bad times with the good. Even the bad times are better than most departments ever see in their good times.
    Don't pay any attention to the nay-sayers. Districts may close, who knows. Doesn't make a bit of difference. Anyone with a lick of sense would understand that there will still be Troops in those counties. They may not report to District Y but they'll still be reporting to a District and still working the road in every one of the 102 counties.
    I do find a great deal of satisfaction reading about the good folks getting hired and carrying on the tradition. I'll never see those coming on today retire. Hopefully the good ones will carry on the tradition and the bad ones will fall by the wayside.
    I was fortunate to have been trained by and worked with some of the finest cops ever to wear the uniform. One just passed a week ago. Gerry Cavanaugh was one of the finest gentleman to ever grace this earth. While in the Army he was on the Army's pistol team. He came to the ISP and taught many of us to shoot. Gerry taught us more than putting holes in paper. He also taught defensive tactics. There has never been a better instructor than Gerry. He taught us to survive. Rest in Peace Gerry. You deserve a rest from the pain. Thanks to Gerry I made it retirement. What I learned from Gerry allowed me to survive. He was the finest of the best.
    183 FBINA

Forum Member
    All due respect to him Capt. Sir! Your comments about this man who sounds like One hellava great man shows a lot of passion. Sounds like if one has never had a chance to meet and be trained by Mr. Cavanaugh you are missing out on a blessing. I truly share my deepest sympathies and prayers Sir. God Bless n God is Great.

Forum Member

Is it true that ISP is now advising those lucky enough to get selected their districts prior to going to the academy?

Forum Member

Congrats Mope Thomper; I am one of the unlucky 135 candidates. Good luck to you and all moving forward. i am very frustrated about this cancelling the eligibility list at the last moment. I am at the final stage of Cook County, 2nd stage of will county and only dreamed of joining ISP. If hired in May by Cook County I would have left for ISP. But now started all over again isn't the most exciting avenue for Oct/Nov academey. God has a plan for everyone and very soon i will know what my plan is. Again congrats and good fortune to all candidates of class 119. This ISP thread has always been educational and informative on a professional level!

Forum Member
    Good luck to all trying to get into CC120:

NEW NOTICE 3/28/2011 1:00 PM:
    The application process is open and accepting applications.
    Please visit www.publicsafetyrecruitment.com/isp.
    The application process will close April 29th, 2011 at 12:00 PM.
    | 03/28/2011 |

Forum Member
    Yes Mope
    A lot depends on your test score. Whether you are selected for BIs or picking Districts. Highest score gets chosen 1st and get to choose 1st. You will be able to choose your District just before the Academy begins. If you are at the bottom of the list you pretty much wont have a choice. Most spots are open in D-Chicago which makes sense because its such a large District with many, many retirements. They wont tell you your test score or where you fall in the pecking order. Good Luck to ya man, I truly hope things fall right into place for you!!!!!!

Forum Member

Thanks Que. As far as residency goes, does anyone know what ISP considers residency? I live just outside D-Chicago and that is the district I prefer (and probably will be sent to should I make it that far). I understand rules are rules, but I can't move the fam. a couple miles away just to satisfy a requirment. Anyone know if a one bedroom apartment suffices? I know a few Troopers and they said when they where new Troopers, as long as you where 10-41 on time in your district it didn't matter where you lived. I know times have changed, but boy in this housing market wouldn't that be nice!!!

Forum Member

Just heard one of the Troops call out training probationary this morning over the radio and realized you guys graduated.... congratulations and stay safe out there... if any of you are working d-chicago northern I-94, maybe i'll back you up one day... remember to make friends in the suburbs, there will be times a local cop will be there long before your back shows up. good luck and happy pickings!

Just saw one of the new 118 cadets and an fto on frontage road... guess its a small world.
    Last edited by axelfoley4; 03-29-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOPE THOMPER View Post
    Thanks Que. As far as residency goes, does anyone know what ISP considers residency? I live just outside D-Chicago and that is the district I prefer (and probably will be sent to should I make it that far). I understand rules are rules, but I can't move the fam. a couple miles away just to satisfy a requirment. Anyone know if a one bedroom apartment suffices? I know a few Troopers and they said when they where new Troopers, as long as you where 10-41 on time in your district it didn't matter where you lived. I know times have changed, but boy in this housing market wouldn't that be nice!!!
    The short answer is that you are required to live within your district. If you can't move a couple of miles into D-Chicago, then try to get D2 or D5, which ever one you live in. You could do the one bedroom thing but that is just throwing away money.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILTPR View Post
    The short answer is that you are required to live within your district. If you can't move a couple of miles into D-Chicago, then try to get D2 or D5, which ever one you live in. You could do the one bedroom thing but that is just throwing away money.
    A few people in 118 tried to live just outside the border, but D-Chicago command was pretty strict with making sure all new troopers lived in Cook County. Your best bet if you want to stay where you are is the tollway (D15) if available because you have to live within 20 miles of any tollway.

Forum Member

Thanks for the answers!

Forum Member
    BIs have officially begun!!!
    GL to all my buddies geared for CC119!!! CC120 is not too far behind ya! ;-)

Forum Member

how long is the hiring process with ISP? is it a super long wait like Chicago or does it move faster?

Forum Member
    Moves MUCH faster than a four year wait....thats for sure! But it all depends on when Quinn gives the ok and the budget is good to go....every class' timeframe is different CC118 lasted 8 months. 119 tested almost a year ago. They may start mid to late Summer. CC120 MAY....MAY move a little faster. Again, depends on the Gov's OK+ enough budget $$=Cadet Classes. CC120 MAY start 3-4 months after CC119....well, thats what the Merit Board and ISP wants....We shall see....

Forum Member

CC118 was 8 months from the day of our first testing to the first day of the academy. However, I applied in April of 2009 and had the original test date (June 09) and then a make up test date (Sept 09) canceled on me. When we did get rolling here is each step that we took:

Written and Power Test: Jan 2010
    Background: Feb/March 2010
    Oral Interview: April 2010 (Initially were told at the Oral's that the class would then start in June 2010)
    Medical/Vision: Late July/August 2010
    Orientation Day: Late August 2010 (not everyone who was there was hired, at least not initially)
    Notifications on who is in: 9/14/2010
    District Assignment Choices: 9/20/2010
    1st fun filled day at MP 88: Sept 26, 2010

So overall from the time of my first application to the first day of the academy was 17 months. If backgrounds have indeed started, it is still a long process with many more steps to go, but it is a start and some good news for those of us needing seniority!

If any of you guys have any questions about the process or the academy, PM me, I'd be happy to try to help you.
    Last edited by ISPTPR22; 03-31-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Forum Member
    Inspiring.....Motivating....
    Today, for the second time this week I passed by one of the new Troopers on FTO patrol. The first day was last Tuesday on I-294 by the Halsted exit. Today there was another on I-57 n/b near the 147th st./Sibley exit. One thing I didnt realize is that they do ride-a-longs with their FTO. I Always thought they rode in their own car and if they were to pull someone over then they would be met at that site by their FTO. Learn something new everyday....

Forum Member
    ISP doesnt care what prior training you may have from what Im told. They will train you to do everything the ISP way from learning the law, to combat on to shooting a weapon. ISP wants you to learn their way.

The higher you score on your written exam determines who gets called 1st as well as 1st pick at Distrct assignment IF that particular District has any openings. You choose your district assignment about a week before the Academy. Good luck to ya Loyola
    Last edited by Que_Dog7; 04-01-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Que_Dog7 View Post
    ISP doesnt care what prior training you may have from what Im told. They will train you to do everything the ISP way from learning the law, to combat on to shooting a weapon. ISP wants you to learn their way.

The higher you score on your written exam determines who gets called 1st as well as 1st pick at Distrct assignment IF that particular District has any openings. You choose your district assignment about a week before the Academy. Good luck to ya Loyola
    This is mostly correct, it doesnt matter if you have no prior LE or 15 years prior LE, you are going through the academy just like everyone else. If they ever reopen the fast track program, anyone with prior LE can get into an abbreviated academy, but you will be doing at least three months in Springfield.

As far as the district assignment goes, what you wrote is/was correct for CC117 and 118, but for every other class, they didnt know until they were in the academy for quite some time. I wouldn't assume this will continue, then again it may be the new way of choosing, it all depends on the upper brass.

Forum Member

Quick TRT question

As far as ISP TRT, I know there are three teams; north, central, and south. Does anyone know what county or city each team is located out of? Are these teams assigned to or report to a specific district from their area?

Forum Member

TRT, named recently changed to SWAT, has their own command structure which is HQed in Springfield.
    183 FBINA

Forum Member

Does anyone know typically how many applicants apply for ISP everytime they have an application process?

Thanks

Forum Member
    There are generally 4-500 who apply. There is about 3-400 who show up, usually half of those pass. If you goto the merit board website, click on the Link to the left that says Board. Then click on Board meeting minutes and it will tell you on May 15, 2010 somewhere over 500 applied, over 300 showed and 162 passed. Hope I wasnt too wordy and going off of memory....

Forum Member

For those of you in the process, I was stuck working the desk for a few minutes at my dept today and an ISP special agent came in to ask for a check on an applicant. Was talking to him for a few minutes and he said they are trying to push this class for July. Take it for what its worth, but thought I'd share for those who care.

Page 6 of 99 First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 56 ... Last