Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    tc215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    139

    Gen4 Glock 19 review

    I recently purchased a new Gen4 Glock 19. Let me preface this by saying that I do not drink the "Glock kool-aid", and believe there are much better pistols out there, but I still recognize the fact that Glock makes a good gun. I've owned a few Glocks in the past, and my wife has a Gen3 G19.

    I like the new grip texture on the Gen4 models, and the smaller Gen4 19 grip feels better in my hand than the Gen3. I have large hands and have not added the additional backstraps (It comes with two backstraps, and all the Gen4 models ship with 3 magazines, not just the blue label LE Glocks). There is a larger magazine release and the recoil spring assembly has been re-designed.

    This morning I bought a box of Federal 115 grain 9mm FMJ's. I loaded up one magazine with 15 rounds, and that is all I shot. Out of those 15 rounds, I had 13 FTF's and one stove pipe. Needless to say, I was not pleased. The rounds were consistently coming out of the magazine too far nose-up and not feeding.

    I had read that other folks were having similar problems with the Gen4 9mm models and Glock had traced the problem back to the new recoil spring design. These problems are usually occuring with "weaker" range ammo. My recoil spring is stamped "03", and the newer springs Glock is sending out are "04's".

    I called Glock CS, and was able to talk with a rep after being on hold for 20 minutes. He asked me what kind of ammo I was using, and told me that it would run fine with higher powered "duty ammo". He did not mention the spring issue until I brought it up. I told him that I had the 03 spring and wanted the new one. He said that they were out of them, but offered to send me one when more came in. He did not know when that would be. He was polite the during the conversation, but I was still frustrated.

    Other than that, it shot like a Glock. The trigger seemed to be a little stiffer than previous models, but will probably get a little better.

    I'm going to fire some 124gr +P and 147gr through it tomorrow and see how it does. I'll be sticking to my 1911's for off-duty carry.







    Sorry for the blurry photos.

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    30
    I bought my Gen4 19 a few months ago. Ive only put about 200 rounds through it but no problems so far. I also have a 03 spring.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    brad601's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Saginaw, TX
    Posts
    982
    Im chompin at the bit to get my Gen 4. Got a few more weeks to wait till I can get it though. Looking at a full size .40 though
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Sioux City, NE
    Posts
    4,489
    I have a 19 with a ported barrel and the Remington green box 115 will not cycle it at all. Gen one gun, I shoot 124 the most. I have seen plenty of Glocks that won't cycle weak 115 ball when shot by weak wristed folks.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Southern Appalachia
    Posts
    322
    Yeah, when I picked up the Gen4's this past weekend and looked at the recoil spring assembly the first thought in my mind was "more crap to break/more to go wrong." I feel they over-engineered that thing; its way too beefy.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,697
    Sticking with the Gen-3 Glock...

    "Improving" on the Gen-3 Glock 19 is about as stupid as can be...

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,836
    I am a bit concerned about failing to eat a common ammo, however, every gun maker has had similar problems at one time or another. So it's hard to judge Glock too harshly.

    I don't dislike glocks, but like the OP, I think there are better options. That being said, the Glock 19 is by far my favorite design from the company and I am thinking about picking up a Gen 4 Glock 19.... provided the spring problems are resolved.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    tc215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    139
    I shot the gun again today as follows:

    -15 rounds, Remington Golden Saber 124gr +P. All flawless.

    -5 rounds, Federal 115gr FMJ. 1 FTF after round 2.

    -10 rounds, Remington Golden Saber 124gr, standard pressure. Flawless.

    -8 rounds, Federal 115gr FMJ. FTF after every shot.

    Obviously, the gun runs fine with duty/SD ammo. I'm sure if I shot enough of it the gun would break in and be able to run the weaker range ammo. However, I can't afford to do that, and will be waiting on the spring from Glock.

    Crappy cell phone pic:


  9. #9
    Firefighter/Cop (crazy)
    FiremanMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,400
    I am cutting and pasting my thoughts on the FTF issues with the Gen4 glock from another forum. I love my Gen4 glock 19, and I have had several FTF issues, but all have been attributed to underpowerd ammo. My glock is 100% with +P duty ammo as well as my hotter load that I'm currently running in it..
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

  10. #10
    Firefighter/Cop (crazy)
    FiremanMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,400
    Again, this is my post from a different gun forum

    I worked up a new load on my reloading bench for my Gen4 Glock 19 (03 spring). Like many, I have cycling issues with softer loads, and the mouse-fart load I had worked up that cycled my M&P9 with almost no recoil just wasn't cutting it. My gun is about 98% with softer 115gr factory loads, and has always been 100% with +P duty ammo. Long story short, I charged my new load to just under the max for titegroup with 115gr FMJ bullets and took them to the range. I have loaded this round before and shot it on an M&P9 and it felt very snappy, never chrono'd it though..

    As I suspected, my gun was 100%, and I was pleasantly surprised at how completely tame the load was in my little g19. Much like a .45, recoil was more of a push than a flip, and as has been my experience with everything I've shot out of my G19, follow up shots were flat and fast. My buddy was on the range with me, he's been on the fence about getting a gen4 because of cycling issues. He was also impressed with the lack of recoil on this particular load (he loads titegroup also), but still said he would pass because "I want something I can feed anything to".

    This statement is not unlike many that I read here on these boards. People poopoo the gun because it won't feed anything like previous generations of Glocks. I'm not of that opinion. I think Glock set out to make a gun that would comfortably and rapidly shoot self-defense/duty ammo, and the 02-03 springs delivered just that.

    So why is it that people desire a gun that will shoot any crappy *** light range load they feed it. Are you using these rounds for self defense? Do you plan on getting into a firefight loaded with 45+1 rounds of 115gr FMJ pushing 1000fps? On the range, who cares if failures happen, no one is shooting back. I want a gun that eats 124gr Bonded +P rangers and spits 'em out as if I was shooting a previous generation with crappy *** light range loads. My Gen4 does just that.

    In short, the Gen4 is designed to be a combat handgun shooting combat loads.
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    tc215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    139
    This statement is not unlike many that I read here on these boards. People poopoo the gun because it won't feed anything like previous generations of Glocks. I'm not of that opinion. I think Glock set out to make a gun that would comfortably and rapidly shoot self-defense/duty ammo, and the 02-03 springs delivered just that.
    No offense, but this is precisely why I can barely stand to read anything on this subject on the GlockTalk forums: all the fanboys making excuses for their beloved Glocks not running. Glock messed up this time with the 9mm's. I think they did good on the .40's (which will even cycle the "weak" range ammo).

    So why is it that people desire a gun that will shoot any crappy *** light range load they feed it. Are you using these rounds for self defense? Do you plan on getting into a firefight loaded with 45+1 rounds of 115gr FMJ pushing 1000fps? On the range, who cares if failures happen, no one is shooting back. I want a gun that eats 124gr Bonded +P rangers and spits 'em out as if I was shooting a previous generation with crappy *** light range loads. My Gen4 does just that.

    In short, the Gen4 is designed to be a combat handgun shooting combat loads
    I desire a gun that will shoot "crappy" range loads because I cannot afford to shoot and train with HST's/Golden Sabers/Gold Dots/etc. And, yeah, I do care if I have failures on the range. It's a little frustrating to have a FTF after every shot, literally.

    The Gen4 may fire duty ammo, but so do all the previous generations. The previous generations also cycled range ammo without any issues. I have never had a single issue with my wife's Gen3 G19, or two Gen3 G26's, with any type of ammo.

    I have a HK USP .45 with around 10,000 rounds through it over the years. From Wolf and Blazer to Gold Dots and Golden Sabers, it has never hiccupped. And this is certainly a "combat handgun", as you say. My other two HK's have never had any issues either.

    My 1911's, which are notorious for being picky about ammo, have also fed everything I've run in them. Even the "weak" range stuff.

    My AR also functions fine with range ammo. And duty ammo.

    Glock messed up, and the new spring is the fix. I'll update again when I get it.

  12. #12
    Firefighter/Cop (crazy)
    FiremanMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,400
    Quote Originally Posted by tc215 View Post
    No offense, but this is precisely why I can barely stand to read anything on this subject on the GlockTalk forums: all the fanboys making excuses for their beloved Glocks not running. Glock messed up this time with the 9mm's. I think they did good on the .40's (which will even cycle the "weak" range ammo).
    None taken. I'm usually on GT for the reloaders forum in there, it's actually quite good. Sometimes I get bored..

    I desire a gun that will shoot "crappy" range loads because I cannot afford to shoot and train with HST's/Golden Sabers/Gold Dots/etc. And, yeah, I do care if I have failures on the range. It's a little frustrating to have a FTF after every shot, literally.

    The Gen4 may fire duty ammo, but so do all the previous generations. The previous generations also cycled range ammo without any issues. I have never had a single issue with my wife's Gen3 G19, or two Gen3 G26's, with any type of ammo.

    I have a HK USP .45 with around 10,000 rounds through it over the years. From Wolf and Blazer to Gold Dots and Golden Sabers, it has never hiccupped. And this is certainly a "combat handgun", as you say. My other two HK's have never had any issues either.

    My 1911's, which are notorious for being picky about ammo, have also fed everything I've run in them. Even the "weak" range stuff.

    My AR also functions fine with range ammo. And duty ammo.

    Glock messed up, and the new spring is the fix. I'll update again when I get it.
    Yes, but my point is the Gen4 Glock 19, with an 03 spring, cycles duty ammo and +P ammo much softer than ANY OTHER polymer frame weapon I've ever shot. This makes it very desirable in a combat situation as opposed to a range situation. I would almost go as far as to say the Gen4 G19 (03 spring) has softer and flatter felt recoil than a Gen3 shooting range ammo. This is why I think glock made this gun and spring in the manner in which they did, to shoot high power duty ammo in a more controllable platform than anyone else.

    I can certainly see your frustration on the range. If you don't have the funds to shoot higher power practice ammunition (and really, who does) and don't want to take up reloading to make a more stout round, then the 04 spring is the answer for you. Please don't discount the 03 spring setup though, it does a fabulous job of taming hot rounds. If I was in your exact shoes, I would probably use the 04 spring for range practice and put the 03 spring back in when it's loaded with duty ammo.

    FWIW I've read reports of people who swapped to the new spring and are unhappy with the difference in felt recoil between the two springs.. YMMV of course.\

    P.S. - anything in my quoted post that may have come across as an attack on you personally was not intended, as I said this was exactly what I wrote over on GT.
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    HeadDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Southcentral Alaska
    Posts
    1,273
    I have lots of pistols which will digest whatever I feed them and have quite manageable recoil. Sorry, but this is a FAIL! If this POS were made by anyone but Glock, the gun boards would be all over it. Really...if you can't manage the recoil of your pistol, you need to practice more. The solution is not to buy some over-engineered piece of junk and then spend your retirement money putting ammo in it.

  14. #14
    Caution: Unvetted member.
    KenW.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    3,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Roast View Post
    Yeah, when I picked up the Gen4's this past weekend and looked at the recoil spring assembly the first thought in my mind was "more crap to break/more to go wrong." I feel they over-engineered that thing; its way too beefy.

    Been said about 1911s also.

    If it were my 1911 I'd have to say a recoil spring, but I know about Glock perfection.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

    Douglas MacArthur

  15. #15
    Fidelity~Zeal~Obedience
    towncop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,155
    Glock haters crack me up. To the original poster, not being an *** here, but in your opening statement you said you "believe that there are much better pistols out there." Then why spend your money on a Glock?
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

    * "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

    * Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    tc215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by towncop View Post
    Glock haters crack me up. To the original poster, not being an *** here, but in your opening statement you said you "believe that there are much better pistols out there." Then why spend your money on a Glock?
    How does me saying that I think there are better pistols out there equal me being a "Glock hater"? I currently own three, and have owned several more in the past. I have a numerous other firearms, and I like some more than others. And I spent my money on a Glock because I wanted a Gen4. No other reason. I'll probably trade it for something different somewhere down the road, like I usually do.

    I definitely don't drink the "Glock Perfection" kool-aid like some do, though.

    Anyway, my replacement recoil spring assembly came in the mail yesterday. Unfortunately, the spring they sent me is for a sub-compact model. Oh well. I'll call them back Monday.

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,697
    I am a Glock Kool-Aid Drinker...and this is "fail" in my opinion.

    If the gun won't run with range ammo, how in the hell am I supposed to train with it for high round count classes? As to switching out recoil springs for range & carry use - no.

    Get real. Glocks feed ANYTHING - those that do not are "fail".

    I do not know when my 'range ammo' might become my 'emergency ammo' if the SHTF, and while I don't plan to get into a gunfight with Federal American Eagle ball or Winchester White Box 115 grain 100 round value pack ammo...

    Hell. Nobody figured on the LA riots or Katrina...and when the good ammo is gone and the only thing that you can stuff in your gun is ammo from someone's range bag, it better work.

    Even if it isn't 124 grain +P HST or 115 Grain +p+ Gold Dot.

    The idea that a Glock will be ammo picky is a poor joke. If I wanted a gun I had to feed a particular round to, and wouldn't feed anything else, I would buy a 1911. Sorry. Homey don't play that. (And yes, my friends Colt XSE eats EVERYTHING...it's been around my Gen 3 Glock 19 so long it picked up bad habits.)

    Time will tell, but as I'm not looking for a Glock Gen 4 till 2018. 3rd gens will be around and as long as can do a refurb on anything I pick up from "the older generation" I will stick with it.

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadDoc View Post
    I have lots of pistols which will digest whatever I feed them and have quite manageable recoil. Sorry, but this is a FAIL! If this POS were made by anyone but Glock, the gun boards would be all over it. Really...if you can't manage the recoil of your pistol, you need to practice more. The solution is not to buy some over-engineered piece of junk and then spend your retirement money putting ammo in it.
    What he said.

    You want to control you gun better?

    Learn how to grip it properly.

  19. #19
    Firefighter/Cop (crazy)
    FiremanMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,400
    Wow, two personal attacks against me for stating the gen4 shoots better with higher powered ammo. Way to take a civil discussion and turn it into a ****ing match.

    I bow to your 9mm recoil handling prowess
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

  20. #20
    Caution: Unvetted member.
    KenW.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    3,501
    I'm not a Glock hater. I know many, many people who carry them every day. They recently became the issue weapon for my agency (we just left the HK USP40).

    While I've shot the .40 models, I am very pleased that my agency has an awesome alternate weapon policy and I am allowed to stay qualified with and carry my 1911s and XDs.

    Glocks have a reputation for reliability and durability. I do though, have to stop short of claiming "perfection" because of reports such as this thread started with. They are not the be-all and end-all of law enforcement weapons. One size does NOT fit all.

    You have to admit though... They are most always the lowest bidder.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

    Douglas MacArthur

  21. #21
    Forum Member
    HeadDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Southcentral Alaska
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell_in_CT View Post
    Glocks feed ANYTHING - those that do not are "fail".
    Bingo! Glock, CZ, Colt, Smith and Wesson...If it won't feed whatever I stuff in it, I don't want it.

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    HeadDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Southcentral Alaska
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
    Wow, two personal attacks against me for stating the gen4 shoots better with higher powered ammo. Way to take a civil discussion and turn it into a ****ing match.

    I bow to your 9mm recoil handling prowess
    My use of the word "you" was meant to be generic, not personal and it is true that you stopped short of actually recommending the pistol. I'm sorry you thought that I was attacking you personally...that was not my intent. Still...the day I find a 9mm with recoil that I can't handle, I'll quit shooting!

  23. #23
    Firefighter/Cop (crazy)
    FiremanMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,400
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadDoc View Post
    My use of the word "you" was meant to be generic, not personal and it is true that you stopped short of actually recommending the pistol. I'm sorry you thought that I was attacking you personally...that was not my intent. Still...the day I find a 9mm with recoil that I can't handle, I'll quit shooting!
    nevermind..

    The Gen4 guns give a noticeable speed advantage, similar to that found in competition shooters who intentionally cook up underpowered loads to gain flatter recoil and faster shot-to-shot times.

    I couldn't care less if you think I can't handle a 9mm.
    Last edited by FiremanMike; 11-25-2010 at 10:47 AM.
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

  24. #24
    24/7/365
    Surf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West of the Atlantic
    Posts
    2,021
    So far I have a Gen 4 G17 and Gen 4 G22. I will say that my 17 and 22 run great for me, practice or duty ammo. Maybe I am lucky. Haven't had time to pick up the Gen 4 G19 yet.
    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

    Surfs Up on youtube!

    Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7
    I have a Gen 4 G22 and so far it has only had one problem, and that was the magazine nor catching the slide after all the ammunition was shot. My slide did not lock back like it should letting me know it was out of ammo. This could have cost me my life, good thing it only cost me a top shooter trophy at the academy. I think that I just need to clean my mags. Other than that issue, I haven't had any issues as far as FTF/Feeds/Fires go. I like my Glock and will stand by it.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register