jwelch

Post Helicopter ride-along

Wassup,

I'm not sure if this is allowed but I have to check. I'm a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer and I'm coming to New York July 17-20, 2003. I want to know if it's possible to do a ride-along with the helicopter unit. Our department allows an officer to ride if they are sponsored by another officer for example. If anyone has any contact information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

jt welch

Metro174

Don't know about NYPD but Maryland State Police allow police to do ride alongs in their helicopters. They do require that you do the whole shift as well.

jeeper

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

I did some training a couple years ago with the Minnesota State Patrol's helicopter unit. That is such a cooooool tool. I've been toying with the idea of researching cost/benefits to having a unit. I think it would be entirely workable in my area, but the subject has NEVER once been brought up.

Evnings

I did a ride along with the Dallas PD Helicopter Unit one night. That was probably the best time I've had while wearing clothes.

It wasn't too hard for me to get permission. I know one of the pilots and he got the authority from his supervisor. I think other officers have to contact the unit commander.

skippy

I did one with CHP, watched a pursuit with OPD across the Bay bridge, AWESOME! Unless you know someone with rank on the Aviation Unit, your chances are not good at getting up.