Comic Relief Expert

iPhone 4 Police Scanner App

So I guess they came out with a police scanner application on the new iPhone 4..maybe some of you have heard? People who have this app can not only get local agencies near them, but agencies that are over 1000 miles away. Since this is a big officer safety issue, and pretty much a "free police scanner" to anyone who owns an iPhone 4 and downloads this app, do you think the government may get involved and have this sort of thing taken down so it's not so available to the public?
    Next Generation Officer

Why so serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by NextGenOfc View Post
    So I guess they came out with a police scanner application on the new iPhone 4..maybe some of you have heard? People who have this app can not only get local agencies near them, but agencies that are over 1000 miles away. Since this is a big officer safety issue, and pretty much a "free police scanner" to anyone who owns an iPhone 4 and downloads this app, do you think the government may get involved and have this sort of thing taken down so it's not so available to the public?
    The Gov't hasn't "taken down" traditional police scanners available to the public at any Radio Shack in the U.S., why would they for this if it's essentially the same thing?

Different story if the app is capable of de-encrypting encrypted police radio traffic, but if it just scans unencrypted transmissions, I don't see the difference between this and what has existed and been available to the public (free or not) for a long time.

Police Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
    The Gov't hasn't "taken down" traditional police scanners available to the public at any Radio Shack in the U.S., why would they for this if it's essentially the same thing?

Different story if the app is capable of de-encrypting encrypted police radio traffic, but if it just scans unencrypted transmissions, I don't see the difference between this and what has existed and been available to the public (free or not) for a long time.
    +1

However, it is illegal in MI to possess a police scanner in a vehicle during the commision of a felony.

Forum Member
    Last edited by Wethington8093; 10-28-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: ask a cop section

It's Complicated
    My "guess" is that since the iphone app is NOT a scanner---none of the "scanner laws" would apply to this new technology. Most of the laws I have read use the terms "scanner" and "radio capable of"......the iphone isn't either.

The laws are going to have to keep up with the technology................and that will take time.

The app is really nothing more than a web connection to RadioReference.com and the online scanner audio from that site. You could do the same with a laptop and a wi-fi phone card.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

SHU
    Forum Member
    I have one on my android phone. Works great.

Forum Member

I have one for my iphone3gs ... heard a possible 10-31 like 5 blocks away from me once, turns out someone just left their garage door open when the left. Kinda dumb thing to do ...

Off topic poster
    There's lots of different apps for police scanners in the iTunes app store and the apps ain't just for the iPhone, u can get them for the iPad and the iPod touch as well. As long as there's an internet connection for the device, the app can work. In the app store, there's free and paid apps. I can pick up the dept I work for and listen in if I'm out of town and just feel like hearing a radio or I can pull up international channels and listen to the cops in Melbourne Australia.

No use fighting the inevitable, Apple and chinchillas will one day rule the world as we know it.