Forum Member

Criminal Investigator for Texas OIG

Hello all,

I have been on the board for awhile but haven't posted much. I was just offered a position with Texas HHSC as a Criminal Investigator and was wondering if there were any others on the board? Just wanted to get a feel on how the working conditions (management attitudes) are because I haven't met anyone yet other than the interview. Stay safe

Forum Member
    I'm curious, what does your job consist of?
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Forum Member

I will be an Investigator VI for the State conducting criminal investigations at state supported living centers. It is a sworn LE position and from what I understand there aren't that many of these positions out there.

Go on, touch it...
    How are you bypassing the OIG Trainee position that is open and jumping right to an Investigator VI position?
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Forum Member

JSD,
    It seems every dept in the state has an OIG. Most of the Trainee positions are with TDCJ. This one is with HHSC.

Forum Member

The job was posted as a Inv. VI and as yammahoppy said, the OIG Trainee slots are with TDCJ.

Go on, touch it...
    Yeah, about three hours after I posted that I realized that the OIG position wasn't just at TDCJ, chalk it up to stupidity.
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Forum Member

Nah...I did the same thing before I applied...because they are all posted as OIG.

Forum Member

Is there a singular website that post all State Peace Officer jobs? I think i recall TCLEOSE stating that they were going to get a database together.

Forum Member

je1054

You could try www.tml.org or you could register at http://www.twc.state.tx.us/jobs/job.html and search all jobs the state has open. These are the two that I use.

Forum Member

Work in Texas is a great one like yammahoppy said. I have never used tml.org though.

Forum Member

It is my understanding that if you get hired by the OIG, you may get a peace officer slot only after 90 days of employment if you are qualified and certified by TCLEOSE as at least a basic officer. It is also my understanding that each unit has a limited number of peace officer slots and if that particular unit your assigined to has no slots, you won't be considered a peace officer. I may be wrong, but i'm sure thats how it works for a new employee. I could be wrong, could someone clarify this for me!

Forum Member

K9,

I think it would depend on the agency. I know that the AG OIG that does the medicaid fraud has both certified and non-certified. All the TDCJ OIG spots are Certified. There is no rhyme or reason as to how the state does this stuff. I think there is some rule that any state agency that does "investigations" has to call that department of the agency OIG.

Forum Member

There were a couple of positions that were listed as having the potential of becoming a peace officer after the 90 day timeframe. Luckily, I applied and was hired for the sworn position, I will start November 1.

Forum Member
    I have a buddy that is an Investigator for HHSC in Austin, but eventhough it is a LE position that requires TCLEOSE cert., they do not carry a gun or have a LE type badge.

I do not think that HHSC is listed as recognized peace officer by the Legislature or CCP.
    "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Forum Member

I was sworn in today and given my badge and gun, the Inspector General is recognized to carry commissions.