Forum Member

Pistol permit question(s) for suffolk

I'm sure this question may have been asked before or maybe not however i'd figure it would be a better idea to post it here then in the off duty due to the fact this question is related to suffolk. I already got some info from a few other officers but I wanted to ask the fellow people here at officer.com

So, would it be a good idea for me to apply for a pistol permit? I dont have anything in my background and I ask this because whenever some agency decides to hire me would they like question me on why I applied for one? and let's say I do fail the application; when I try to join agency what would happen then?

I have been trying to look for answers about suffolk gun permits, but seems to be very limited information. Do I get like interviewed or something or just fill out a lot of paper work?. The main reason why I would like to apply is for

1) My own security at my house
    2) I'm going to be an officer one day and would like to start shooting and practicing.

I would also like to ask, with a pistol permit for suffolk, can you only carry it around suffolk county or is it for all New York state?

Thats all I can really think of, if anyone can enlighten me a bit I would much appreciate it

Thank You
    NYPD Exam:2311
    Let the process begin!

NCPD Exam:2000
    Score: Pending...

SCPD
    Score: Passed/No call

Suffolk Corrections:
    Score: Passed/No call yet

Suffolk Parks:
    Score: Passed/No call

Suffolk Sheriff:
    Score: Passed/No call yet

PAPD
    Score: Qualified.

NYSP
    Exam: Oct 12th 2013

Forum Member
    Why not? Can't hurt imho. It'll be good anywhere in the state except NYC

Forum Member

Ok Ill give my input on this one. When you apply for a pistol licence in Suffolk, your first step is the paper work which you can get off their web site. It took them about three months to call me after I submitted mine. You will get a call from a investigator and they will set up a date for your interview. At the interview you will be finger printed and asked a bunch of questions, just basic questions. Then you will wait and wait, it took them about 6 months on mine. To my understanding this is when they go though everything.. they did call my boss, my wife and my mother in-law. Then it just shows up in the mail if everything is ok. Remember no cash, just check or money order
    Now as far as carrying the gun, they offer a few types of licenses check the web site so you get the exact info, I wouldn't want to mis lead you. I do know if you get a sportsman which (what i had) is the basic one like you described for home protection and target practice. If you hold a sportsman license you will only be allowed to carry the gun to and from the range.
    Now I am not a cop, I don't see any reason why a police agency would look down upon you for having a pistol permit. I have mine and I have applied to them all. I have been processed for Suffolk county park rangers, on my psych she asked I told her I like to shoot, and she was fine with it. She actually told me she was a shooter as well and we talked about different guns for a few minutes. I do know that if you enter the some academies they make you surrender all hand-guns. Hope this helps you, I would say go for it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IwantTobeANYSP View Post
    I'm sure this question may have been asked before or maybe not however i'd figure it would be a better idea to post it here then in the off duty due to the fact this question is related to suffolk. I already got some info from a few other officers but I wanted to ask the fellow people here at officer.com

So, would it be a good idea for me to apply for a pistol permit? I dont have anything in my background and I ask this because whenever some agency decides to hire me would they like question me on why I applied for one? and let's say I do fail the application; when I try to join agency what would happen then?

I have been trying to look for answers about suffolk gun permits, but seems to be very limited information. Do I get like interviewed or something or just fill out a lot of paper work?. The main reason why I would like to apply is for

1) My own security at my house
    2) I'm going to be an officer one day and would like to start shooting and practicing.

I would also like to ask, with a pistol permit for suffolk, can you only carry it around suffolk county or is it for all New York state?

Thats all I can really think of, if anyone can enlighten me a bit I would much appreciate it

Thank You
    -How long exactly did you spend "trying to look for answers"????? took about 20 seconds of google search to find this:
    http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/onlineforms.htm
    you can print all the paperwork you need from here then submit at your local PCT.
    -the permit will allow you to own it, you CANNOT CARRY ANYWHERE, NOT SUFFOLK, NOT ANYWHERE. You can have it in your house, or in a locked gun case, unloaded, separate from the ammo, in your trunk while driving directly to or from a range, that's it. Get caught carrying it around and you will be arrested, end of story.
    -nothing wrong with owning one or applying for the permit. An agency you apply to will question it, not "like question" it, but real questions. You have a constitutional right to own a gun, and they'd be more suspicious if you own a couple dozen or are buying and selling lots of guns (for profit).
    -If you want one for home protection, just go buy a shotgun or rifle. You can buy one same day, no waiting period, no permit. Just 18 y/o with valid ID and no felonies. If you want a pistol because you think it's cool and want to show it off, then you probably shouldn't be anywhere near a gun.
    -Since you are 100% certain that you're going to be a LEO sometime soon, you'd be much better off waiting to get trained by professionals instead of developing bad habits by shooting on your own, not to mention the huge risk an untrained civilian with a gun poses. They issue you a service weapon when you graduate.

Forum Member

http://longislandfirearms.com/forum/

Check out this site. It is a little more specific to your question.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 31_b View Post
    -How long exactly did you spend "trying to look for answers"????? took about 20 seconds of google search to find this:
    http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/onlineforms.htm
    you can print all the paperwork you need from here then submit at your local PCT.
    -the permit will allow you to own it, you CANNOT CARRY ANYWHERE, NOT SUFFOLK, NOT ANYWHERE. You can have it in your house, or in a locked gun case, unloaded, separate from the ammo, in your trunk while driving directly to or from a range, that's it. Get caught carrying it around and you will be arrested, end of story.-nothing wrong with owning one or applying for the permit. An agency you apply to will question it, not "like question" it, but real questions. You have a constitutional right to own a gun, and they'd be more suspicious if you own a couple dozen or are buying and selling lots of guns (for profit).
    -If you want one for home protection, just go buy a shotgun or rifle. You can buy one same day, no waiting period, no permit. Just 18 y/o with valid ID and no felonies. If you want a pistol because you think it's cool and want to show it off, then you probably shouldn't be anywhere near a gun.
    -Since you are 100% certain that you're going to be a LEO sometime soon, you'd be much better off waiting to get trained by professionals instead of developing bad habits by shooting on your own, not to mention the huge risk an untrained civilian with a gun poses. They issue you a service weapon when you graduate.
    Please do not post inaccurate, false informaton. Only give advice and input when you are 100% certain you are correct. The statement you made that I bolded is 100% false. Suffolk and Nassau counties issue carry permits on a daily basis. Also known as "sportsman" permits, they allow the permit holder to carry a pistol or pistols LOADED and CONCEALED to & from a designated shooting range for target practice and also when hunting legally in NYS. NYS only has one type of permit for pistols.....a full carry permit. However, depending on what county you reside in inside the state, the specific county will impose restrictions on the permit (ie: to & from range and hunting). If a LEO stops you and feels that your carrying the weapon when your not hunting or not going to & from a shooting range, they may confiscate the weapon and your permit. YOU WILL NOT BE ARRESTED, IF YOU ARE THE CHARGES WILL NOT HOLD. After a hearing in front of a judge you may have your permit revoked or suspended. But the individual would NOT face criminal charges, unless they were in NYC (where the Suffolk permit would not be valid). If you could be arrested and charged for carrying with a permit, why have the permit at all??....that would make you no different than a gangbanger on the street with an illegal gun.

31 B.....The scenario in which your describing is only true for NYC permits issued to civilians (gun must be locked in lock box in trunk seprate from ammo, etc.)

IWANTTOBENYSP....get your permit and carry your weapon loaded & concealed...exercise our 2nd amendment rights (or what's left of them) because before you know it civilians may be stuck in a scenario that 31 B described.....

Forum Member

thank you, checked it out and you were right.

Please don't confuse a "carry" with a "sporstman" though.
    SPORTSMAN – (Target and Hunting) – For the underlined purposes, firearms may only be transported between your residence and an authorized target shooting range, a legal hunting area in New York State and while actually afield hunting.

CARRY – Full Carry License, for the purpose of self-protection. If you are seeking a SELF-PROTECTION license, you will be required to show “proper cause” pursuant to Penal Law Section 400.00 Sub. 2 (f). “Proper cause” is determined by a review of all relevant information bearing on your claimed need. You must show that you are exposed to extraordinary personal danger, documented by proof of recurrent threats to life or safety, requiring authorization to carry a firearm.

Carry permit is rarely given out.

Forum Member

Just to clear up the "When you can carry issue"

THE FOLLOWING WILL BE ACCEPTED AS PROPER CAUSE FOR A TYPE (f) LICENSE WITH THE ACCOMPANYING ENDORSEMENT REQUIREMENTS.
    (1) SPORTSMAN – (Target and Hunting) – For the underlined purposes, firearms may only be transported between your residence and an authorized target shooting range, a legal hunting area in New York State and while actually afield hunting. For the purpose of hunting, you are reminded that you must also possess a valid New York State hunting license. Handguns must be carried concealed except when in the field hunting or on the target range for the purpose of target shooting. A sportsman license will be canceled if you relocate to another state. If you relocate outside the five western towns of Suffolk County but continue to reside in New York State your records can be transferred to the appropriate officer at your new place of residence upon payment of the appropriate transfer fee. For the purpose of firearm training: a pistol license holder who has a valid Hunter Safety Education Instructor Certificate issued by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and/or is a National Rifle Association of America certified instructor and is instructing a firearm safety class, may possess for demonstration purposes, a licensed firearm. An instructor if carrying a licensed firearm must have in their possession while traveling to, during and from the training class, documentation showing the type, location and time of the class scheduled and proof of their instructor certification.
    (Note) For the purpose of target shooting and hunting, licensees are authorized to meet for the purpose of car pooling or to stop only for nonalcoholic refreshments and/or a meal on the way to and from their shooting destination. You are authorized to do this only during the period upon leaving your residence and arriving at your shooting destination or during the return trip. You are not authorized to take your firearm to any establishment used exclusively for alcohol consumption. You are not authorized to conduct any other non-target shooting or hunting activity while in possession of your handgun. In the event a licensee does choose to
    break for a refreshment and/or meal, they are responsible for the concealment and safeguarding of their firearms.

Forum Member

My permit has a stamp that says hunting and camping on the front. I however it is still a concealed carry permit. I have been pulled over by state troopers in the past and handed my drivers liscense, registration, and pistol permit to him. He asked if I had the pistol on me, I told him in the glove box. A few minutes later he said make sure not to leave it in the car due to several break-ins, keep it on my person till I got home.
    He never asked if I was shooting at a range. [I was in a work truck at the time so he knew better anyway.] But to be safe, when traveling county to county, be careful. The rules do differ.

Deputy Sheriff
    Quote Originally Posted by brettrocker View Post
    But to be safe, when traveling county to county, be careful. The rules do differ.
    Notwithstanding NYC counties, if you have a full carry from any other county in NYS a county with more restrictive 'rules' can not restrict your concealed carry in that county.

E.G. if you have a full carry from Dutchess Co., and go to White Plains in the more restrictive W'chstr Co., you're fine.