Forum Member

Should I carry a taser gun on post? Security 3rd shift

Is it illegal for a un armed security guard to carry a taser gun while on duty?.
    Last edited by msoler29; 10-07-2010 at 12:32 PM.
    **Just never give up, even when the odds are against you**

It's Complicated
    Depends on the laws of your state.....................................

AND the policies of the company you work for.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    Depends on the laws of your state.....................................

AND the policies of the company you work for.
    X-2. Let me throw an additional thought out to you. Let's say you arm yourself with a Taser. Are you certified in it's use? If you use it, will your security company cover you? Will the client who's property you're protecting back you? I can pretty well tell you the answer to the last two questions is "No". If you're assigned to an unarmed post, I suggest that's what you be.

Barefoot Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by msoler29 View Post
    Is it illegal for a un armed security guard to carry a taser gun while on duty?.
    Sounds like a good way to get fired.

In Wisconsin, its also a good way to go to jail.
    Quote Originally Posted by kontemplerande View Post
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.
    Strong is what's left when you've used up all your weak.

Forum Member

You are an unarmed security guard. What is the meaning of the word "unarmed"? There's your answer.

Chicks Dig It
    Mainly going to depend on the policies of the company you work for. If you're carrying a civilian model taser, there's no violation in California. It's just going to depend on your policies.
    CHICKS DIG IT!!!

Forum Member
    Use pepper spray

Forum Member

I know a couple security officer's who carry a taser gun with no problem. Sometimes, the area is really bad and high with crime activity being un-armed you get picked on, or into verbal arguments just cause you're security and are trying to look out for the people on the post keeping an eye out for abnormal activity. My post has been getting really bad tons of activity and i'm not sure if my state allows me to carry a Taser gun, I live in the state of Florida I think i'm going to go with the pepper spray and work on getting my gun license really soon to carry on allowed post armed.

Quote Originally Posted by SRT936 View Post
    Sounds like a good way to get fired.

In Wisconsin, its also a good way to go to jail.

Forum Member

I think that's the way i'm going to go next pepper spray seems good to have especially if things get out of hand god forbid..
    Thanks for the tip
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalBeldo View Post
    Use pepper spray

Forum Member

I would be very careful in this decision. If your employer will certify you in it and has a policy in it's use, you'd be fine. If they don't have a policy for use, you could be in a world of hurt if someone you tase gets injured. You could, of course, use one in complete self defense without much issue, but if you tase someone, they fall over and crack their head open, you can bet they'll be coming after you. If there isn't any policy in place, your employer will let you hang. There is a pretty good potential for injury with taser use.

Forum Member
    I'm not a Florida LEO, but it looks like under FL statute 790.01, one can lawfully carry it for self-defense purposes. The main question is, as others have pointed out, does your employer allow it? If the answer is "no," then don't waste your money. If you get injured or injure someone during deployment of a taser and you were not authorized (or more importantly trained) by your security company to use one, it's your a**.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Forum Member

I know a couple security officer's who carry a taser gun with no problem. Sometimes, the area is really bad and high with crime activity being un-armed you get picked on, or into verbal arguments just cause you're security and are trying to look out for the people on the post keeping an eye out for abnormal activity. My post has been getting really bad tons of activity and i'm not sure if my state allows me to carry a Taser gun, I live in the state of Florida I think i'm going to go with the pepper spray and work on getting my gun license really soon to carry on allowed post armed.
    Let's see how this sounds. "Observe and report". The motto of successful security guards everywhere. At the beginning of this thread you asked our collective opinion on whether or not you should carry a Taser. You have received some excellent replies, yet you don't seem satisfied with them. Let's do this one more time. Even if state law allows you to carry a Taser, company policy and client policy could very well prohibit it. In that case you would not be indemnified or protected if you used the weapon. This would be true even if the use was justified. You need to be fully familiar with your firm's policy with regard to any weapon(s) including firearms. You can be certain that you'll be thrown under the bus, be toast, be history, should you violate those policies.. Don't base your stance on carrying any weapon on what other guards do. They're not going to be there for you when your job goes south. It's really pretty simple. Do what your firm authorizes you to do. Nothing more.

Forum Member
    An actual Taser requires a handgun permit in Indiana, but a regular stun gun wouldn't.

Bring the Noise
    Deleted , you wouldnt wanna know anyway
    Last edited by dontcallmeradio; 10-08-2010 at 05:27 PM.

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by CruiserClass View Post
    An actual Taser requires a handgun permit in Indiana, but a regular stun gun wouldn't.
    Both do in Iowa..............

But company policy will still rule even if he had one.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member
    The part in bold is what really worries me here. As someone who started out in unarmed security and worked his way up to local law enforcement, I can tell you that (as someone else here said) your job is to "observe and report." That's it. Don't get into arguments with people. Don't confront people. A cell phone or radio should be your primary weapon. And don't get "short man syndrome" if someone picks on you for being unarmed security. There's no shame in your job and you should be adult enough to let it roll off your back. Simply put, avoiding a fight is a much better strategy for you than arming yourself in a way that could leave you out to dry in a civil lawsuit if someone gets hurt. Stay within company policy and if you don't feel safe, talk to your supervisors about it.
    "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep." -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman