Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mtruong131
  • 1 Post By mtruong131

Thread: Testing for San Bernardino County Sheriff's

Forum Member

Testing for San Bernardino County Sheriff's

Hello all,

I took and passed the written and the PAT for SBSD in March 2010 and was placed on the eligible list. My question is, would it be smart to retake the written and the PAT to see if I can improve my score and maybe my placement on the list? I know for sure that I can improve my score on the PAT. The tests are scheduled for October 2010. Thank you
    georgimma likes this.

Forum Member
    HEy I'm testing soon with them. THey will allow you to retake the written and PAT? Also, what was involved on the PAT?

Quote Originally Posted by mtruong131 View Post
    Hello all,

I took and passed the written and the PAT for SBSD in March 2010 and was placed on the eligible list. My question is, would it be smart to retake the written and the PAT to see if I can improve my score and maybe my placement on the list? I know for sure that I can improve my score on the PAT. The tests are scheduled for October 2010. Thank you
    If you were placed on the eligible list, how far down the list are you? The testing for Oct is, no doubt, to establish an new and different list so they have one to go to in the event the other expires or taps out. My suggestion is to contact SBSD recruitment and inquire of their policy concerning retakes.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesxx View Post
    HEy I'm testing soon with them. THey will allow you to retake the written and PAT? Also, what was involved on the PAT?
    99yrd obstacle, 6ft chain link fence then run 30yrds, 6ft solid wall then run 30 yrds, 500yrd run, and dummy drag. It is just the standard CA post PAT.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtCHP View Post
    If you were placed on the eligible list, how far down the list are you? The testing for Oct is, no doubt, to establish an new and different list so they have one to go to in the event the other expires or taps out. My suggestion is to contact SBSD recruitment and inquire of their policy concerning retakes.
    I will do that Sarge. They did not say where I am on the list, just that I have been placed on the eligible list.
    wrekdgrafix likes this.

We start the SBSD Academy Oct 4th (Class 181) and i thought i heard that the PAT was a one time thing from our orientation.

Maybe i heard wrong?

Will you be attending the next class 182 in January i believe?

Is the written a standard post test? Do they allow you to submit previous written post scores?

Forum Member
    Joe-Jitsu, once known, please post how many bodies are in your class. I've heard they hire pre-service guys in place of academy drop outs and my background is just about done.

Poke'mon Master
    I took my test and PAT last december. Had oral interview with background investigator a while ago. Now I am just waiting for my POLY. My BI said not to worry and that it will take a while. If you already took and passed the test/pat i dont see why you would want to take it again.
    Gotta catch em allll.........

Forum Member
    TrojanAlum09 - No they do not allow previous scores. I was told... "The written test for San Bernardino County Deputy Sheriff Trainee is a county examination, not a POST test, and we do not accept other test scores."

Hey did anyone attend the PAT today? If so... good luck in the rest of the process!

Poke'mon Master
    OMG.... How long do I have to wait to get a phone call? its been a year and 3 days since i passed my 1st written test... does the time lapse or what? Do I have to re-take

Quote Originally Posted by SBSO_DISPATCHER View Post
    OMG.... How long do I have to wait to get a phone call? its been a year and 3 days since i passed my 1st written test... does the time lapse or what? Do I have to re-take
    Yes, unfortunately you may have to retake the written exam. Your test is only good for one year. But call recruiting and ask. Good luck.
    "Think about the consequences before you mess with a Deputy Sheriff."

Poke'mon Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Viffer View Post
    Yes, unfortunately you may have to retake the written exam. Your test is only good for one year. But call recruiting and ask. Good luck.
    Thats weaksauce and does not make sense... Why would they have me go through the whole process again? That cant be.

Quote Originally Posted by SBSO_DISPATCHER View Post
    Thats weaksauce and does not make sense... Why would they have me go through the whole process again? That cant be.
    Sorry, I hope I’m wrong…but that’s why you see people on eligibility lists for up to a year. We’ve had hired people since you’ve taken your exam. There have been at least three or four academy classes that had graduated with deputies in them. I’ve heard they were looking to hire 10 trainees for the next class…and they may continue only hiring 10 trainees for each class…but again, that is what I heard through the grapevine. We’ve recently hired a few laterals (or pre-service). SBSD has been known to take an extremely long time to hire people. It’s not that they are slow; it’s that there are so many applicants. I work with deputies who’s hiring process took anywhere from a year and a half to two years. Mine however took only four months, and that was with a computer glitch where they didn’t receive my application one or two months later.

I know SBSD is the department of your choice, and a great department it is. As you know, there is very little attrition with this department. With many SO’s you’ll see a lot of movement after a deputy has spent two years when the department to earn their Basic, then lateral to a PD. Only a very small percentage have done that, those who did in the past two years were laid off from the PD they lateraled to due to the economy. We haven’t had any deputies laid off from our agency…knock on wood. Good luck with your process, and keep motivated.

Forum Member
    If you have to retake the test again because a year has passed, do you retake the test and continue where you left off or do you have to start completely over?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWTECH View Post
    If you have to retake the test again because a year has passed, do you retake the test and continue where you left off or do you have to start completely over?
    If you are already in the process and assigned a BI, then you will need to ask your BI. If you have only taken the written and PT test, and have been on the eligibility list for a year, then it is likely you will have to reapply and retake the test. For example, you could have been in tip top shape a year ago when you took your test, but now you're out of shape and not ready for the academy. Again, you should check with recruiting, because they have more information and know the current procedures.

Poke'mon Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Viffer View Post
    If you are already in the process and assigned a BI, then you will need to ask your BI. If you have only taken the written and PT test, and have been on the eligibility list for a year, then it is likely you will have to reapply and retake the test. For example, you could have been in tip top shape a year ago when you took your test, but now you're out of shape and not ready for the academy. Again, you should check with recruiting, because they have more information and know the current procedures.
    I'm just waiting on my poly............ I'm actually in better shape now than i was a year ago lol.. i'd like to do the PAT again lol.