Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

Thread: Crooked Cops?

Forum Member

Crooked cops do exist, but as many have said, they are a rare and people's definition of crooked my vary. Ask some people, accepting a free drink from the gas station makes you a bad cop. So it is at times hard to quantify. Keep in mind, you are posting on a board specifically for cops, so expect at least some hositility if you are asking if our profession is packed with liars, thieves and crooks. Imagine going to medicaldoctor.com/forum and asking if there are lots of doctors who are drug addicted like "House". I'm sure you would get very similar responses.

Movies are movies and books are books. I've worked for three agencies in my career, honestly I've never worked with an officer that I would consider "crooked". Sure I've seen policy violations in my day... but I've never worked with an officer that I've known to steal, plant evidence, lie in court, ect, ect, ect.

NOT banned
    ignignokt,
    its obvious youre young and inexperienced in the ways of Police work and internet forms....admittedly I have not read all the posts, but please define "crooked" as you see it.
    does crooked mean wishing death on someone? accepting a "free" pop at Quik Trip? Is "crooked" only at work? meaning if a cop is absolutely model while working but beats his wife when off duty, is he a "crooked cop"?
    just trying to define what youre talking about....
    "Lighten da' cargo...Fer' a chick wid' big boobs...cause I like boobs, big boobs...."
    Da Admiral Sully

"To the open-carry nut-rider, a firearm is his persona, a soap-box, and his reason for being. By strapping one on, he proclaims to the world, 'even though I didn't get hugs as a kid, somebody's going to By Golly pay attention to me now'."
    slamdunc

Police Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignignokt View Post
    I have been seriously pursuing a career in law enforcement now for the past few months and I have taken the time to understand the dangers of the job. One thing scares me more than anything though and that would be crooked cops. So I don't know if anyone is comfortable answering this but are there really lots of crooked cops in the big cities or is that just a movie thing? Thanks in advance.
    Most crooked cops I see get surgery to fix their handicap. After an hour surgery they are straight as an arrow.

Forum Member

There are crooked doctors, crooked plumbers, crooked everything. Corrupt police exist but they are few in number. Some large cities have a reputation for corruption. Again, they are the exception--not the rule. IA exists for a number of reasons. They spend most of their time investigating allegations of policy violations or to verify that officers were in compliance with policy--not investigating police criminal behavior. An analogy would be to say that you don't want to go to medical school anymore because there are doctors who sexually abuse their patients, engage in medicaid fraud or sell drugs and/or scripts.

In the hils
    Crooked cops needs to be defined first for my reply but that would take a long time. There are always bad people in the world, in any profession. Period.

I have run into a few bad apples in my time. How does one handle it? You will know when the time arises and should know before having your morals and ethics in tact.

I have observed behaviors from officers ranging from abusive, excessive use of force, deriliction of duty as well as other "corrupt" behaviors. But I have been in administrative positions where I must deal with the issues and correct them in a way appropriately.

As a patrolman I did not run in to "corruption" so much as stupidity.

Remember the news sensationalizes and hollywood wants ratings!!!

Forum Member
    Well, I've heard stories. I know internal affairs exists so I know crooked cops exist.
    What you actually know is nothing. What you assume to know is laughable. Criminal actions by cops make up a tiny percent of IA's work load. Complaints of rudeness, failure to act, excessive force, and violation of policy are much more common. Yes, crooked cops exist. If that's your biggest fear then you're probably looking at the wrong line of work. Is your biggest fear at Wendy's that someone's stealing burgers? Biggest fear at the office someone's sleeping with the boss for a promotion? Why would someone else's failiure in ethics be your biggest fear?

Have gun......will travel
    Thank you for your reply, Nikk. To clarify why it is a concern of mine is that I would never want to be put into a position where I was dealing with an/several officers who do wrong on a daily basis and have to work with them. I now realize how uncommon it is and now I don't worry at all. I think you're right about the media often portraying police officers as the "bad guy" considering nobody wants to hear about a good guy. It makes a lot more sense and now that I see the realistic end of it like the rest of you, I can see why it seems like a dumb question.
    Sigh..................From reading just the first page, you appear to lack the self confidence and strength of character that is required in LEO work. Your query really leaves me wondering. Perhaps you should pursue another field, keeping in mind the reality of what PhillipCal has said about corruption in other professions.
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Barefoot Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
    Sigh..................From reading just the first page, you appear to lack the self confidence and strength of character that is required in LEO work. Your query really leaves me wondering. Perhaps you should pursue another field, keeping in mind the reality of what PhillipCal has said about corruption in other professions.
    Yea, I was thinking about flipping burgers at McDonald's but then I heard that the grill guys sometimes spit in people's food and steal stuff out of the freezer. I'm afraid I might run into one of these guys....
    Quote Originally Posted by kontemplerande View Post
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.
    Strong is what's left when you've used up all your weak.

Bringing back old school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Matt View Post
    No, no I’m afraid of peeps walking around saying Oh My God, Oh My God over and over again, Outlaw Motorcycle Gang are just something you see on TV.
    Yyeeaahh, figured that was first day academy stuff when they went through "Introduction to Gangs".
    Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Quote Originally Posted by dontknowwhy View Post
    I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
    Quote Originally Posted by weinerdog2000 View Post
    as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Go on, touch it...
    If you can't deal with what you deem to be 'harsh' responses on an internet forum, if a 'lack of respect' gets your panties in a wad, then I suggest that you go find another line of work. You will rarely be shown respect by both people you work with and those you are serving. You can ask any question you want, you don't get to dictate each individual's answer and if you're 20 and worried about crooked cops in law enforcement, you've got growing alot of growing up to do as there are a lot moer things to worry about than that.

There are over 800,000 police officers in the United States.......the percentage of crooked ones are slim.
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Forum Member

This is what I find so offensive: I don't like being talked down to by people whether it be a police officer or an ice cream truck driver when they aren't people who have any say in what I do (forums). I simply just expected better behavior and a much more supportive approach from all of the people I admire and hope to join the ranks with. Stupid question to you? Sorry, it happens. I also apologize if you have taken what I said out of context in previous posts. I believe every police officer is an extraordinary human being and I admire and respect them but it doesn't mean I like to be treated like crap when it isn't necessary, which is human. Nobody likes it.

If I don't get a straight, respectful answer then I probably should have just ignored it and not been so abrasive. I am not demanding respect in any way shape or form, I'm only requesting it. I have been through a hell of a lot for a 20 year old. I have been taken to court on ridiculous false accusations from my 4.5 year old sons mother twice and fought for custody, ultimately winning. I work and I try to lead the best life I can for my son and for the people who I care about so I'm pretty proud of my grocery clerk status at the moment. My only goal in life is to die a content man, knowing I helped change peoples lives and making my son proud. I am not your average 20 year old frat-boy who thinks beer pong is a sport. I am honest and I am kind and I have been betrayed many times because of it so I really do feel a sense of right and wrong.

I'm not here to kill time, I am here to help get motivated to become a greater police officer in the future and I'm relying on everyone here to give me an extra push (not that you should feel obligated). To make matters worse, my father disappeared from us when I was 10. Changed his name and nobody heard from him in 10 years and oddly enough he got my number and called me tonight so I've been a bit sensitive, a "twat" if you will.

With that said, allow me to apologize for being so "stand-offish" and I now know my place here. Now that you know me a bit better, does this affect the answer to my question?

By the way, scoliosis jokes are cracking me up.
    Oh, you poor, put upon, self entitled, potential applicant. You don't demand respect Mr. Grocery Clerk, you command it. There is a major difference. Here's another fact for you to digest. No one really gives a rat's rear end what you've "endured" at age twenty. We get fifteen year old posters who demonstrate far more maturity than you do. You're just another self entitled, it's all about me individual who has a hard time handling the truth. The truth is that when you visit this forum, when you ask a question, you'll receive honest answers given in good faith. It takes a certain amount of maturity to accept these answers. Thus far, you've demonstrated that you don't have that maturity yet. Hopefully, before you waste a Department's time (yours too) by applying, you'll work to acquire the maturity I'm referring to. Quite possibly, part of that can obtained through your current employment. Your "apology" is noted, but my replies to you remain the same. Keep in mind that this forum owes you nothing, with the exception of honest answers. Those you have received. It's equally true that we have nothing to prove to you, nor does any agency you apply to. Now her it comes Pal: Go into a hiring process with the dump truck full of "attitude" you've shown here, and they'll show you the door in a minute. In the highly unlikely event you make it to an Academy, they'll bounce you the first day. Think you've had a hard time here? Wait till you meet a Tactical Officer or instructor who's got your number. Finally, and try to keep this in mind. Those of us who've taken the time to reply to you are either serving Officers, or ones who've retired. Either way, we've been there we've done that. You're still very much on the outside looking in. You'll remain in that status until such time as you do some serious growing up. It's my sincere wish that you can do that, and emerge as a viable candidate. That is, if law enforcement is really what you desire to do.

Sh#% Magnet
    Thank you for your reply, Nikk. To clarify why it is a concern of mine is that I would never want to be put into a position where I was dealing with an/several officers who do wrong on a daily basis and have to work with them. I now realize how uncommon it is and now I don't worry at all. I think you're right about the media often portraying police officers as the "bad guy" considering nobody wants to hear about a good guy. It makes a lot more sense and now that I see the realistic end of it like the rest of you, I can see why it seems like a dumb question.
    Go into another line of work if in fact this question was a serious one. As was stated previously, crooked cops will be the least of your concerns.

L-1
    Forum Member
    How common are the crooked cops we have ALL heard about, the real ones, not the ones who make you smash your dope rather than arrest you. Is this an issue in big cities, like we have ALL heard about (real life, not movies) and if I take on a job in a big city some day, will I have to worry about my fellow officers doing the wrong thing or is that uncommon. In real life...
    II guess it might be helpful if you first give us a better definition of "crooked cops".

Simply saying that an officer is crooked because he does not play by the rules doesn't cut it. I know of a sergeant who got three days off for using training material not approved by headquarters. Clearly he did not play by the rules by that did not make him crooked. I know a lieutenant who got demoted because he directed some four letter expletives at a secretary when she accidentally poured hot coffee on him. Clearly he did not play by the rules, but that did not make him crooked. I know of an officer who got fired because he kept straying onto another jurisdiction and poaching their calls because he was bored, they offered more activity and he refused to stop when ordered to do so. Clearly he did not play by the rules, but that did not make him crooked.

I worked IA for years and never once wound up charging an officer with taking a bribe, stealing evidence, framing a suspect, stealing from a citizen. falsifying a report, committing perjury, etc. Instead, most involved violations of departmental rules or policy.

So again, how are you defining "crooked"? Be very specific.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by L-1 View Post
    II guess it might be helpful if you first give us a better definition of "crooked cops".

Simply saying that an officer is crooked because he does not play by the rules doesn't cut it. I know of a sergeant who got three days off for using training material not approved by headquarters. Clearly he did not play by the rules by that did not make him crooked. I know a lieutenant who got demoted because he directed some four letter expletives at a secretary when she accidentally poured hot coffee on him. Clearly he did not play by the rules, but that did not make him crooked. I know of an officer who got fired because he kept straying onto another jurisdiction and poaching their calls because he was bored, they offered more activity and he refused to stop when ordered to do so. Clearly he did not play by the rules, but that did not make him crooked.

I worked IA for years and never once wound up charging an officer with taking a bribe, stealing evidence, framing a suspect, stealing from a citizen. falsifying a report, committing perjury, etc. Instead, most involved violations of departmental rules or policy.

So again, how are you defining "crooked"? Be very specific.
    Apparently he's a fan of the movie "Training Day" with Denzel. This movie mus be apparently what the So-Cal guys do each shift.

I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
    as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Forum Member

Well lets look at the scenario. I'm 20 years old and I want to be a police officer. I asked based on the things I have heard all my life growing up and considering the geographic difference in the members of these forums I believed it would be easier for most members to understand with something that we could all relate to: movies. I didn't ask if I will ever get to jump out of a 10 story building while firing two guns at a helicopter while saving a kidnapped baby in a baby backpack. I am inexperienced, I am curious like most civilians because we aren't all cops and we don't know what goes on inside police departments.

I think I have every right to dictate a response to a logical question that only seems illogical to one who knows the ins and outs especially in a place that is meant to give out professional advice. Lets say you asked me what a pick-up on a guitar was and you were a starting guitar player and I sighed at you and responded sarcastically. To me, it's ridiculous you don't know, because I play guitar, to you it's new and unfamiliar. I would answer the question with respect and intent to make you a more knowledgeable guitar player.

All I'm saying is that I'm very new at this and with the responses I was lead to believe crooked cops are a fairy tale...and please be nice.
    Go away.

Forum Member

The bottom line is, if you make it into law enforcement, do your job. Don't worry about what other officers are doing. Handle your business and handle your calls the way you were trained and the way you know how. The very small percentage of other officers not doing the right things should have no effect on you.

On the road again....
    Rob2121 has it right...

Are you worried that you would be tempted to join in if you were around "crooked" cops? Are you concerned that you would be unable to "just say no"?

Out of all the issues that face LEOs these days, this is the one that you are preoccupied with?

After reading your posts, it is apparent that you have a lot of maturing left to do.
    "They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes..."

"You must get involved to have an impact. No one is impressed with the won-loss record of the referee." - John H. Holcomb

"I'm a driver's wife, Ricky Bobby! I don't WORK!"

The .40 Dog Whisperer
    OP, don't listen to these guys. I'll give you the real stats:

We try to keep the balance at 50% good cop, 50% bad cop. That way, we can do like on TV when we question the "perp."

You are generally asked when you apply, whether you want to be a good cop or a bad cop. Most departments try to honor your request, but if they are short on bad cops, you may be assigned as one. After a few years you will have the seniority to switch to good cop if you so choose, but it is pretty rare. Due to the specialized UCBC training (UnControllable Bad Cop), there is a sort of brotherhood that develops and you will not want to switch.

just yanking your chain a little.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Forum Member

I'm young, I'm dumb and I'm naive which I have come to realize I'm the only one on the planet who has been 20! Haha. No hard feelings, I appreciate every ones help. I came here to gain something, anything, in my future career in law enforcement and I certainly have from each and every reply, especially the negative ones. Once again, thank you, sincerely! My question has been more than answered. King KONG....

King KONG....
    Whatever dude, lets all go get wet, and throw some choke holds.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redders View Post
    Whatever dude, lets all go get wet, and throw some choke holds.
    Count me in!

Patrullero
    Quote Originally Posted by ignignokt View Post
    i'm dumb
    amen.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Gang Tactic Mode

Well, I've heard stories. I know internal affairs exists so I know crooked cops exist.
    An internal affairs investigation does not equal crooked cop. If someone complains that an officer was rude during a complaint, IA will investigate. If an officer gets into a traffic accident, IA may also investigate. If an officer does not follow a directive, IA will investigate. Real life is a lot different than movies.
    "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Forum Member
    Last edited by Mr. Green; 09-25-2010 at 02:05 AM. Reason: My Bad

Forum Member

"I'm young, I'm dumb, I'm naive". Add to that, self entitled, thin skinned, immature, callow, and childish. That's the bad news. The good news is, and this is also a challenge, all of those negatives can be corrected. Your call, Mr. Grocery Clerk. Presently, you have about two chances of entering the LE profession. They are, slim and none. Work on changing that, and it's possible you'll have a shot. If not, aspire to work the Customer Service Desk, and push this week's special. Now I know you'll feel that once more, you're being "talked down to". Well, it's also a dose of reality. Whether or not you make the cut in a LE hiring process is of little concern to me. If it is a concern of yours, get to work correcting the problems which have been noted to you. Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last