Forum Member

Road closure laws in Pa.?

Does anybody know of a website that lists pa state laws that involve road closures and posting detour signs?
    Firefighters tease cops, cops tease firefighters, it's the natural order of things!

Forum Member
    What exactly are you looking for?

A listing of road closures in a county or state wide?
    Brad

Forum Member

no, a supposed law that states if you close a road (for construction for instance) the company or folks working on the road are required by law to post the detour until the road is open again. I don't think Pa. actually has this law, nor did Google turn anything up, but Pa. is horrible about posting it's laws anyway, so I supposed it could actually exist.

This is NOT for the mitigation of emergencies, just planned closures.
    Firefighters tease cops, cops tease firefighters, it's the natural order of things!

Forum Member
    Google Penndot. The first page may help you with scheduled closures for the year. As far as specific laws for signs? I'm not sure but you may find something.

Forum Member

I already checked the PennDot site, It's as useful as PennDot itself. haha

PSP Ret.

Any laws pertaining to road closures would be listed in Title 67 Transportation. The specifiics of the requirements for signing and notifications would be contained in various regulations published by PennDOT. The initial publication of those regs would have been in the Pennsylvania Bulletin. Try www.pacode.com to search Title 67. The problem with a statewide listing of road closures is the shear number of entities that own the roads. PennDOT owns the state highways but some counties own some roads but most roads are owned by townships, cities and boroughs.
    When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Forum Member

The concern is more that there should be actual signs on the ground that mark a detour on any road work that has a road closed. As I said I think the guy I work with is nuts on this but I will try to find it anyway under title 67 as you suggest.

As much as I would LOVE to blast PennDot I cannot blame them for not being able to track every road closure across the state, that is a big undertaking in itself that would just cost us more in tax dollars anyway.

Even if I do find a law, it's not like it can be enforced anyway, what's he going to do . . perform a citizens arrest the local Road Master for not posting a detour? Lol But it is fun watching him get all worked up.

Thanks for the help!!

Forum Member

Holy Cow! I think he was right! Check this out.

ยง 212.701. Processions, assemblages and special activities.

(a) Criteria. The closure or partial closure of a highway for a procession, assemblage or a special activity, may be permitted on local roadways by local authorities and on State-designated highways by the Department if the following criteria are satisfied:

(1) Conventional highways and expressways.

(i) An alternate route, which is not more than 5 miles longer or five times greater in length than the normal travel distance, is established to detour traffic around any closed routes, except an alternate route is not required if one of the following exists:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...hap212toc.html

Nice website!