Forum Member

TABE Reading Comprehension Test

I have to take this test Aug. 24th. Is it difficult? Just common sense? Is there something I need to study?

Thanks

Forum Member

Not trying to be smart.........ss, but if you understand what you've read, it shouldn't be a problem. That said, don't race through it. Take the time to properly understand each question/situation posed. Good luck.

It's Complicated
    TABE Reading
    The Reading portion tests students’ knowledge in the areas of vocabulary and reading comprehension. The areas that are tested in the Reading section are:
    # Interpreting Graphic Information – using charts, graphs, maps, reference materials and other data to extract information
    # Words in Context – using multiple meaning words correctly and determining the meaning of an unfamiliar word based on its usage in a sentence or passage
    # Recall Information – recalling basic details from a reading passage such as who, what, where, when, why and how
    # Construct Meaning – identifying main idea and supporting details, summarizing and paraphrasing a passage, identifying fact and opinion
    # Evaluate and Extend Meaning – identifying author’s purpose, making generalizations, predicting outcomes, identifying persuasive techniques used

Here are some samples

http://www.testprepreview.com/modules/reading1.htm
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    TABE Reading
    The Reading portion tests students’ knowledge in the areas of vocabulary and reading comprehension. The areas that are tested in the Reading section are:
    # Interpreting Graphic Information – using charts, graphs, maps, reference materials and other data to extract information
    # Words in Context – using multiple meaning words correctly and determining the meaning of an unfamiliar word based on its usage in a sentence or passage
    # Recall Information – recalling basic details from a reading passage such as who, what, where, when, why and how
    # Construct Meaning – identifying main idea and supporting details, summarizing and paraphrasing a passage, identifying fact and opinion
    # Evaluate and Extend Meaning – identifying author’s purpose, making generalizations, predicting outcomes, identifying persuasive techniques used

Here are some samples

http://www.testprepreview.com/modules/reading1.htm
    Thanks for the info.