Thread: Suicide Smocks

Forum Member

Suicide Smocks

Just looking to see what other jails are using for suicidal inmates. We have some green outfits right now with velcro but they don't work very well. We also looked into getting some paper smocks but they also don't seem like they will work very well.

It's Complicated
    The heavy green ones------------------quilted with Velcro work fine. We have about 10 yrs on them-----and like them.

Yea they take some getting used to but they are warm (well somewhat warm) and can be used as a blanket in a pinch. We often give them two---one to wear and one to lay on in the suicide room
    We also have the suicide blanket but it is nothing but a smock that doesn't have Velcro.

In one of our facilities it takes one inmate (frequent flyer in the suicide room) about 10 minutes to unravel the quilting on the smock..........................
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeaster View Post
    Just looking to see what other jails are using for suicidal inmates. We have some green outfits right now with velcro but they don't work very well. We also looked into getting some paper smocks but they also don't seem like they will work very well.
    We had an inmate string himself up by the neck with a paper gown, the green dress looking ones work the best, never had someone beat that yet.

Forum Member
    When I worked for the state we didn't give them anything. They had to stay naked in the suicide room until a security blanket (same quilt Iowa mentioned) was authorized by psych. Psych would then eventually allow them to work their way into a standard issued inmate jumpsuit with socks and underwear and thats when the ones who really want to commit suicide do it. The rest are just so happy to finally have clothes that they stfu until they go back to gp.
    Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
    Me: you really want an answer to that
    Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

Forum Member

We give ours green ones with velcro too. And the same blanket minus the velcro. Ours haven't started tearing them up or anything yet, mostly they seem to like to scratch at their scabs and then squeeze a meager amount of blood on the floor. They don't seem to understand that this gets them no sympathy, only our contempt. There is no bed in the cell either, but they have a little shower and a toilet too, which I heard from a nurse who used to work at UCI, over there you have to pull them every time they need to bathe. This may be off topic, but as an aside, is it just me or do the convicts always want to declare psych emergencies right around 30 minutes before end of shift?

forum member
    Green moving type blanket no velcro.

Does it keep em warm??? Who knows? Who cares?

Having to sheeeot and pee in a hole in the floor, being fed thru a port hole and being cold...
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.