Forum Member

Juvenile Interview and Interrogation Methods

Can anyone recommend any good reference material for interviewing juvenile suspects?

Forum Member

Nope.. but I could tell you some things I've used on my four year old nephew.
    1) Children like games and contests.. Challenge the suspect to a truth telling contest.
    2) Little boys like Spiderman.. give the suspect the Spiderman lecture about how "with great power comes great responsibility." That will usually jumpstart their conscience.
    3) Tickle the suspect.. but their confession might get thrown out, not because it's coercion, but because no one can understand what the suspect is actually saying amidst the uncontrollable laughter.

Here to learn

You would have to social engineer them. You have to watch eye movements and body language. It all depends on the child and what they did. I've never interrogated anyone. However, i know when someones lying to me and i've read tons of books about that kind of stuff.

There's a book in pdf format i can email you. It's called The Science of Influence - How to get a person to say yes in eight minutes or less. It's a really good psychology related book that goes through a lot of material on how humans think. It doesn't exactly talk about interrogation, but it talks about different ways people will react to things. Just pm me your email address if you'd like to read it.
    Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

"Retired"
    I'd suggest you get a copy of "Criminal Interrogation and Confessions" by Inbau, Reid and Buckley. You can find it through John E. Reid and Associates (Chicago, IL).
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Barefoot Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by pulicords View Post
    I'd suggest you get a copy of "Criminal Interrogation and Confessions" by Inbau, Reid and Buckley. You can find it through John E. Reid and Associates (Chicago, IL).
    +1.

Also, The Age of the Child and Youth on Trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by kontemplerande View Post
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.
    Strong is what's left when you've used up all your weak.

Forum Member
    I was referring to a juvenile between the ages of 12 to 17 years of age. A parent must be present during any questioning or interviews of a suspect under age 18. I am looking for any techniques that work best for this type of situation. Thanks for the book references.

Sh#% Magnet
    To me gaining the parents trust first goes a long way. They can make the kid talk when you can't. If you speak directly to the parent first and treat them as an adult I've found they are likely to help you in the interrogation process.