Solo is how I roll

Prison Squad TV show on A&E

Just saw the most recent episode where the guards and the THP conducted a vehicle checkpoint at the prison. I have never heard of a SP/HP agency participating in a checkpoint at a prison. The Troopers didn't seem like they did much except stand around until one of guards found some ecstasy in a woman's purse and she was turned over to the Troopers. Seems like the guards did all the searching and the Troopers did all the arresting.....

Are these Prison/THP checkpoints a common deal in TN? Or was this a dog and pony show for A&E?
    Last edited by statebear; 09-02-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Forum Member
    I'm not positive, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're conducted periodically throughout the year at various prisons. I imagine there are signs stating that people (and vehicles) are subject to search at anytime on state property (same as schools).
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Forum Member
    Im pretty sure that TBOP has some kind of agreement with THP because Ive worked a couple different prison breaks and THP is always heavily involved. I dont know about the checkpoints though. I would imagine the troopers are there to make an necessary arrests or citations.

Forum Member

That show gets on my nerves. First of all, the TDOC doesn't have a "Tennessee Prison." They aren't housing prisoners in "The Walls" anymore, but for some reason they keep showing the old state pen as if it's the main facility, even when they're dealing with a plot at the Turney Center, or the new Morgan County facility.

The little things like adding siren sounds (all the time), using road names that don't exist (fake dispatcher using "Knoxville Highway" when they were clearly on the interstate) and the fake dispatch traffic ruin what could be a killer show. At least from a cop's perspective.

I do think without adding all that stupid stuff that show would be interesting enough on its own.

Those TDOC special agents appear to be darn good at what they do.

Forum Member

They didn't actually show what the THP did, I know the officers involved in the episode, there was a LOT that they didn't show. Most people know that media only shows what they figure to be interesting to the general public, not necessarily providing factual evidence and scenes in the process.