Mitzi

Post Can a car be impounded for this?

A friend of mine on another forum is really upset. He husband got home today and told her his car was impounded. He is giving her some stupid story about how a woman came up to him, asked for sex and they impounded his car.
    I told her it sounded like one of 2 things to me. It could ne he tried to solicit an undercover policewoman. Even so, I've never heard of a car being impounded for that.
    Or, it could be he was dealing drugs (he has a substance abuse problem). I know that a car can be seized for that.
    Have you ever impounded a car because a man tried to solict sex with a prostitute or an undercover policewoman?

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: Mitzi ]

LeeRoy

Here in CA anytime we arrest a driver of a vehicle we are permitted to tow the car away (ostensibly to keep the arrested person from returning to the neighborhood but it makes for great retribution when the crook is a jerk).

For CA in order for the car to be impounded (meaning it stays in impound for some time) or forfeited (car gets sold) after a prostitution related arrest there must be a city or county ordinance authorizing this.

Evnings

If the person arrested was inside the vehicle at the time of the arrest or the vehicle was used in the commission of the crime it was more than likely a legal impoundment. Laws and policies vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction though.

In the county that I live and work in, there are wildly varying impoundment procedures. A city just down the road from mine impounds cars for things I would never dream of. But, theyve been sued alot too....

DesertRat

Yes, here we impound for soliciting arrests.

Mitzi

Thanks....She checked up on him and he was arrested for soliciting a prostitute. His marriage is now over also.