Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Former Combat Plumber
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamkn View Post
    Bustacap's work immediately.
    True, but the antenna trick is more fun

RIP Seann1

Res-Q-Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8yLk2S83FM

I carry a black one on my duty belt now so it's always with me.

I'm also going to include a Vortex Striker flash hider on my upcoming rifle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9EtzS6b4uo

A L L H A V E G I V E N S O M E,  B U T S O M E H A V E G I V E N A L L

Chicks Dig It
    CHICKS DIG IT!!!

I DID MY BEST
    Every cop should carry a spring loaded punch, the kind used to dent metal before drilling a hole, and not in their briefcase, in their pocket, patio doors need breaking too. Every cop should carry a good knife. Every cop should carry a spare flashlight. Every cop should carry a towel, yes an ordinary towel, nice to wipe the clipboard off on rainy nights, and your hat, and your seat. Every cop should carry a hobble, to secure kicking feet. Every cop should carry two pairs of cuffs and spare flex cuffs. Every cop should carry a minimum of 4 magazines, probably more, everyone see North Hollywood video? Every cop should carry a minimum of 10 rounds 12ga slug in addition to what he is issued by the dept, same reason as last sentence. Every cop should carry a backup gun. Every cop should carry a map of his potential pursuit area, like half a state. Every cop should carry an emergency $50. Every cop should have gloves, leather and latex. Every cop should have a face mask for the crook in the backseat with TB coughing his left lung through the cage at you, works good for spitters too. Every cop should have been taught all these things by his FTO.

Forum Member
    This is what I use. It has a clip and goes in my pocket like a pen. It cost like $8.

I did add a soft top to cover the sharp point so it doesn't put a hole in my outer vest carrier.

Max Rockatansky
    Quote Originally Posted by NBW791 View Post
    Looks like these work well, but I've never tried one. I'd like to have one though.

http://www.bustacap.net/
    I have one of those opn my ASP and MAGLIGHT and I LOVE them...works very well and handles windows on the first try
    Chris
    STEAM ID: MrManslaughter
    XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Resq14 View Post

I'm also going to include a Vortex Striker flash hider on my upcoming rifle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9EtzS6b4uo
    Dammit! I have a Vortex flash hider and I had no idea they had a glass breaking version!

Cop, Trainer & Locksmith
    Some of it depends on WHY you are getting in. For a vehicle rescue (child locked in car, pet locked in car, etc) breaking the window can be dangerous due to the sharp glass. I use a vehicle entry kit that works very well. On the other hand, as stated earlier, if damage is not an issue and time is of the essence, a spring loaded punch works great!
    "Luck" is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
    www.lockpicktraining.com

"Professional training in practical entry techniques."

Forum Member

I wish I would have read this about 3 months ago. Had a vehicle pursuit end in an enclosed yard where he promptly threw it into reverse and parked on the hood of our patrol car. Needless to say I had exited the vehicle prior to this happening with gun in one hand, flashlight in the other. As he threw it into drive and tried to go forward I began striking the passenger side glass with the butt of my glock. At the time it felt like the heavier of the two items I was holding due to my flashlight being a mini and our former chief refusing to let us re-cert on batons. In hindsight striking anything in an attempt to break it with my pistol was probably not the safest idea. I'm just glad my Lt. managed to wrestle his way into the open driver's window and remove the keys before the guy was able to go anywhere else.

On a positive note, I scratched the hell out of his passenger window.

One man Wolfpack
    I've smashed windows repeatedly with my asp with little effect.

Then shattered the window of my car washing it too hard.

I would say, use the key fob.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Forum Member

Haven't seen this trick mentioned, so thought I'd throw it out there.

Another good item for cops to carry is good ole-fashioned duck tape (or 100 Mile-an-hour tape in Military Speak).

Should you ever need to break a window where you have concerns about the occupants getting cut (and obviously have the time to do this) simply take your trusty 100 Mile-an-hour-tape, rip off two pieces, tape the window top corner to opposite bottom corner on both sides, making a duck-tape X across the window.

Use a spring-loaded center-punch and the window will shatter but will be held together in a solid piece by the tape which you can then simply remove. Very handy trick.

I'd also recommend carrying some 550 Cord.

100 Mile-an-hour tape and 550 Cord were absolute necessities whenever I would deploy in the Army. There's just so much you can do with that combination.

-V

Forum Member
    I always carry my trusted BFR. it was free and fits nicely in the trunk of my car. I can break any window with the BFR. Carful to not break the window with the occupant sitting by the window. Choos a window with no live human being behind it. The BFR has been known to do facial damage.
    It takes a Wolf.......

Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by NBW791 View Post
    Looks like these work well, but I've never tried one. I'd like to have one though.

http://www.bustacap.net/
    I have one on my LED Stinger, it's definitely worth the money, works really well

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishluck31 View Post
    I always carry my trusted BFR. it was free and fits nicely in the trunk of my car. I can break any window with the BFR. Carful to not break the window with the occupant sitting by the window. Choos a window with no live human being behind it. The BFR has been known to do facial damage.
    Is the BFR related to the BFG?
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...
    Quote Originally Posted by scvideoguy View Post
    I just got off a grave shift so I don't want to get into the whole story but I was wondering if anyone has tricks to breaking a side window on a car. Last night my Sgt. FTO and I all tried to break out a window using our baton's and flashlights and were unable to... is it how to hit it, or where you hit it. Or is there something that is normally carried in a patrol car that works really well. I couldn't find or think of anything. Lucky everything worked out without breaking the window but it was a scary feeling being unable to do something so simple when someones life was hanging in the balance...

also we don't care ASP batons, I know they have the after market add-on's that add in breaking windows. We carry the baton you can close by pushing a button on the bottom.

(Also, I now have a window punch so if it happens again I'll be ready so I am just looking for some advice)

Thanks!
    While at the last SWAT Challenge, I Picked up a Benchmade Houdini Pro Rescue Tool for my buddy and he says it works like a charm. Much cleaner and easier then breaking windows with flashlights, etc, and takes up minimal weight/space on his belt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ci6W...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvNiq...eature=related

Just press against window, press button, window shatters.
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Forum Member
    during firefighter vehicle extrication training, we were taught how to use a center punch, or any other small pointed object (screwdriver, etc) to break the window without worrying about your arm getting cut to shreds...

1) wear gloves.
    2) place your hand palm down at the bottom of the window in the corner near the b-post (front door) or c-post (rear door)
    3) put the point of the center punch between your thumb and index finger
    4) push hard.

the window will break and because your hand is there, it stops your pushing arm from going through to the shards of glass. doesn't really sound like it would do anything but cut both arms, but trust me it works.

the reason glass wont break with a blunt impact from a light or baton is because glass is very strong. a big impact displaces energy over the entire window, while a punch puts all energy in a single contact point. with just a few pounds of pressure on a punch the window will shatter.
    Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil because my GOD IS GREATER.

Forum Member

I carry something similar to what Resq14 posted. It looks like a little orange hammer and has a belt cutter. Works very well and requires minimal effort. $12 on Galls.

Forum Member

After an intense pursuit, my Investigator shot the tires out on passenger side, then the motor, and finally when suspect stopped, he slapped the window out with his Beretta. Driver came out of the broke window like a new born baby.

Forum Member

When I was in the military I found that the barrel of a M-4 worked really well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JW356 View Post
    I carry something similar to what Resq14 posted. It looks like a little orange hammer and has a belt cutter. Works very well and requires minimal effort. $12 on Galls.
    Yep, we have a similar thing in all the cars.

I carry a combo handcuff key, spring loaded hole punch, works great

Forum Member

Dive Team trick - underwater, it is impossible to get a good swing in, and punches have a bad habit of gunking up/getting rusty. Take a screwdriver (we actually used dive knives), and jam it as far into the groove along the edge of the window as you can. Pry/twist/profit. Works like a charm, even on safety glass, although you end up having to peel the safety glass out.

Forum Member
    I've been on 5 years and only had to break two car windows out. First one a Correctional officer felony duece crashed and fled the scene on foot. He was very nice and locked his BMW doors with the engine running and the engine smoking. One good swing with my ASP and I was in.

Second time a guy Dukes of Hazzard'd it over 3 sets of railroad tracks. Tried to flee from me at 3 MPH while I was on foot (he was boggin in the mud). One swing with my ASP I was in. I had really good momentum on that one because the ASP hit him in the face. It had the intended effect on him...he stopped.

Both breaks were backhand swings.

Forum Member
    Monadnock batons work well on corners of the window, shield your face also when you do it, as glass will fly. Asp's are curse for bending on impact.
    "Well, I never had an invisible friend when I was young, but I'm sure that if I did, it would be Constable Smiley."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
    Step 1: Unholster weapon
    Step 2: Aim at window
    Step 3: I think you get the idea.....

J/k Do not do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

I wish that was the case, I've had one too many crackheads drive right off on me with my .45 caliber pistol aimed at their heads.

I ♥ my GLOCK
    I broke out the back window of a Jeep Grand Cherokee at a rollover. The driver was hanging upside down in his seatbelt like a bat, his head was turning a wierd shade of red/purple and he was screaming to get him out of the car. First whack with my baton it bounced back and almost took my head off. Second one I was in. Crawled inside, cut him out of the seatbelt, and all was good....until gravity kicked in. Needless to say, he walked away from that wreck and I learned that windows don't break as easy in real life as they do on TV.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last