X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THaselton
    Forum Member
    • May 2010

self defense shooting

Lets say I had to use my firearm in my home for self defense for whatever reason. How would you want me to be positioned. Should wait to put the gun down when I see lights? Should I be a distance away from the firearm? In the unfortunate occasion that it happenes what would be ideal for you guys to handle it?
    "Men are like steel, they lose thier temper they lose thier worth." Chuck Norris.
  • F.I.S.H.D.O.
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2009

Let's say that you killed the intruder. You have no reason to have your gun out. Put it down and dial 911 and let them know what just happened.

Comment

• THaselton
      Forum Member
      • May 2010

makes scence.
      "Men are like steel, they lose thier temper they lose thier worth." Chuck Norris.

Comment

• CruiserClass
        Forum Member
        • Sep 2006

YOU know its a self-defense shooting, WE don't. We recently had an incident where the shooter pretended to be a victim upon police arrival. We are not going to trust our lives to your honesty and dispatch's accuracy, so expect to be detained and cuffed until the situation sorts itself out.

Do not have your gun out, this just sets us up for a misunderstanding. You're now under great stress, you may be swinging it around where you're looking without thinking about it. This could get you shot. Put the gun down or at very least holster it if the BG is incapicitated but not dead, then FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS OF ARRIVING OFFICERS. Trying to explain, justify, or argue only slows us down and puts everyone in greater danger.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

• NYCDep
          S*** just got real!
          • Jun 2007

I don't think Cruiser could over emphasize that statement: FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS OF ARRIVING OFFICERS

Don't be offended or assume that because we don't immediately treat you like the victim or someone who performed an action that was legally just, that we don't know what happened. We prefer to be the only people on a scene pointing a gun at anyone. Follow the officers instructions, and never, ever point your gun towards any officer.

We've had off duty police officers get shot by on duty officers for failing to follow those seemingly obvious instructions.
          “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

• MiGuy
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by F.I.S.H.D.O.
            Let's say that you killed the intruder. You have no reason to have your gun out. Put it down and dial 911 and let them know what just happened.

If you are most certain that the intruder is dead, then I'd say HOLSTER your gun if you have one. Or if you used a shotgun or do not have a holster, put it right next to you and dial 911. The reason I don't say put it away or put it down and go leave to contact 911 is for a few reasons. Unless you physically check, you may think he is dead when he is not. But more realistically, you may not be sure if someone was with him. Especially if there is a "getaway" driver. He hears the gunshot and decides to go inside and sees his buddy dead and your weapon without you by it... Or you are caught off guard and he has a weapon and you no longer do because you put it away or put it down and left. You just never know. Either way, as we can all agree, LISTEN to the uniformed Officers that come on scene. As mentioned, they will treat you as the suspect. We can't tell who is innocent and who's not by looking at you when on the scene. All we know is there is a dead guy and a guy with a weapon.

If you shot the intruder and he is alive, DO NOT put down your gun. Just because someone is injured and shot does not mean that they can not attack you and/or they don't have any weapons on themselves that can injure you the moment you let your guard down. And most importantly you still listen to the uniformed Officers and make SLOW and DELIBERATE movements when given orders so not to be mistaken as anything else.

Be smart, be safe, and LISTEN to the Police when they arrive.

Comment

• ArkansasFan24
              Forum Member
              • Sep 2006

Well, let's see.

Kill the intruder.

Make sure he's dead which doesn't imply shooting him in the head a few extra times.

Secure the area, i.e. close your open front door (don't want more bad guys coming in), move the weapon from the body (he may not be dead), get the family to safey (more bad guys might be around plus who wants their kids to see a bloody mess by the couch). Sure, all of that alters the scene, but big deal. This is self-defense we're talking about here. Just be sure to report it all. You might even rehearse some of these scenarios with a gun you know not to be loaded or operable. I have.

Call 911.

Tell them what you need to say and respond to the operator's questions. Tell them what you look like (dress if any) and that you have weapon x with you.

At that point, yeah, my gun(s) would still be readily available.

Now, to keep some adrenaline-pumped, tunnel visioned officer from blowing me away in the process I would distance myself from the weapon at about the time they should arrive. I'd probably just lay it somewhere inaccessible to the man supposedly dead on the floor and tell the arriving officers its location. Granted, this scenario is one of me waking up at night. During the day I'd just stick the pistol in my pocket and reach for the sky when the cavalry arrives.

ck ,This is a lot to think about after the experience you would have had, and you won't think of all this, but here it is!
              Last edited by ArkansasFan24; 06-15-2010, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• THaselton
                Forum Member
                • May 2010

Originally posted by CruiserClass
                YOU know its a self-defense shooting, WE don't. We recently had an incident where the shooter pretended to be a victim upon police arrival. We are not going to trust our lives to your honesty and dispatch's accuracy, so expect to be detained and cuffed until the situation sorts itself out.

Do not have your gun out, this just sets us up for a misunderstanding. You're now under great stress, you may be swinging it around where you're looking without thinking about it. This could get you shot. Put the gun down or at very least holster it if the BG is incapicitated but not dead, then FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS OF ARRIVING OFFICERS. Trying to explain, justify, or argue only slows us down and puts everyone in greater danger.
                thank you very much. I figured most of what everyone else has been saying about wether any other threats in the area. I also figure that is circumstantial and the only thing I can realy bank on is that I should not hae a weapon in my hand when police are within sight.

Comment

• Rudy8116
                  G-14 Classified
                  • Jul 2009

I echo about what to say to the dispatcher. I would suggest keeping your weapon out just in case the intruder is not dead or he has a buddy. Once you see the police arriving, holster your weapon or put it in your pocket (I always have pockets) so the weapon is out of sight. Upon making contact with the officers, keep your hands away from where ever the weapon is, and let the officers know that you are armed. Let them take the gun from you. And as was emphasized

FOLLOW EVERY INSTRUCTION THE OFFICERS GIVE
                  I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12289 users online. 75 members and 12214 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...