Forum Member

I need to earn 60 "affordable" college credits, any suggestions?

Hey all!
    I passed the initial NYPD test with a 99.118% and list number 126. I know it'll be a while if I get called. In the meantime, I need to satisfy the necessary 60 college credits. I don't make a lot of money right now so I was wondering if there was an inexpensive and simple/quick way to earn these credits. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.

Forum Member
    ^^^That is the best affordable/quality option I can think of too. Most community colleges have flexible class schedules for working individuals and financial aid is not hard to come by if you are eligible for it.

Forum Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys...I appreciate it!

L-1
    Forum Member
    Most colleges will award credits under the College Level Equivalence Program (CLEP). You take a battery of three hour exams that determine whether you possess that level of knowledge necessary to obtain a passing grade in a given subject. There are tons of different CLEP tests available for you to take. The cost of having each test administered is fairly inexpensive and you can get your scores back within a few weeks.

About 17 years ago I needed a bunch of units to qualify for a POST certificate in a hurry. I knocked out 54 units within three months under CLEP. It amazed me as to the knowledge I had accumulated in different subjects without knowing it. My girlfriend was a VP in marketing. I absorbed enough from her over the years to score a 98 on the Marketing exam. Similarly, she has a BA in art. Over the years I absorbed enough from listening to her to get an 80 on that exam. Those two exams earned me six units.

Check here for further information http://www.collegeboard.com/student/...lep/about.html
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Forum Member
    When I checked into CLEP test last year they were running about $75 bucks a test. The big thing to remember is you only have to pass. I was told they are listed as a pass/fail for the grade.

Forum Member

dont go to community college because they have limits to how many classes you can take (CUNY, usually nomore than 4-5classes) just go to a regular college maybe john jay and get those 60credits and financial aide.
    Also you can get 8 credits from completing the FEMA course online, and 6 credits from nypd auxiliary program.

Born Alone Die Alone
    Empire State College is a great school. A lot of flexibility and they help with financial aid.
    NYPD "ROOKIE COP"

XBOX ONE GAMERTAG: CYNGOD
    PS4 GAMERTAG: CYNGOD

Half Man - Half Amazing

Forum Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I will definitely look into CLEP. I will also look into the police auxiliary program.

Forum Member

go to John Jay College, when you do get hired, you can then finish your BS degree and the dept will pay for it ....

www.jjay.cuny.edu

Forum Member

NYPD accepts a couple of online schools. One of them is Ashworth College.. You can gets 60 credits as fast as you can read the text books. If you work on it everyday for about 4-5 hours you can probably get 60 credits in about 6 months.. I just finished my 60< took me about a year but I work 50 hours a week and am married with two children. Good Luck.
    Exam: 8050
    List:2xxx
    Med: passed
    Written Psych: passed
    Oral: passed
    JST: 9/29/10 Passed, Damn I am out of shape 3:26
    Met with BI: 05/10
    Mini Med:????

DENIED!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblue View Post
    NYPD accepts a couple of online schools. One of them is Ashworth College.. You can gets 60 credits as fast as you can read the text books. If you work on it everyday for about 4-5 hours you can probably get 60 credits in about 6 months.. I just finished my 60< took me about a year but I work 50 hours a week and am married with two children. Good Luck.
    Are you sure we take Ashworth. Im not doubting you, but did you ask the education department, and did they look in their little book of all the schools they accept?.

It would be a shame to keep taking expensive classes and in the end, NADA.

Ashworth is a nationally accredited school, and not a REGIONLLY accredited school as what the NYPD particularly looks for with new hires.

Forum Member

FEMA worked for me.

Forum Member

Yes, Thats who they told me when I called them and my BI reviewed my transcript and sai everything was ok.
    Exam: 8050
    List:2xxx
    Med: passed
    Written Psych: passed
    Oral: passed
    JST: 9/29/10 Passed, Damn I am out of shape 3:26
    Met with BI: 05/10
    Mini Med:????

Blind Follower

If you're going to get/pay for 60 college credits, get your moneys worth. DO NOT get 60 worthless credits that do nothing other than satisfy the NYPD college requirement. People get disqualified in the process for the most bogus things every single day. If that happens to be you, you'll be out of luck with absolutely nothing to fall back on. I know it could never happen to you, but have a back up plan in case it does.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by options open View Post
    If you're going to get/pay for 60 college credits, get your moneys worth. DO NOT get 60 worthless credits that do nothing other than satisfy the NYPD college requirement. People get disqualified in the process for the most bogus things every single day. If that happens to be you, you'll be out of luck with absolutely nothing to fall back on. I know it could never happen to you, but have a back up plan in case it does.
    Options is absolutely 100% right. The best way to lessen the hit of feeling you have worthless credit in regards to fema courses, is to open a credit bank with TESC. They'll put 29 credits on an official transcript for $469. If you were to go with Frederick Comm. College it would cost you $2,204 to transfer the same 29 credits. In the end I wouldn't say femas are completely worthless as there are a few schools with emergency management programs that'll let you apply femas towards a degree program. Also they look impressive on a resume. I recently went for an internal interview at my current job, and when asked "how do would you handle irate clients?" , I referenced my "emergency management" education on how to handle this situation.

DENIED!
    what is TESC, a buddy of mine has a bunch of FEMA courses he wants to transfer, but cant fork over the 2+k for them.

Thanks a lot!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by usman939 View Post
    dont go to community college because they have limits to how many classes you can take (CUNY, usually nomore than 4-5classes) just go to a regular college maybe john jay and get those 60credits and financial aide.
    Also you can get 8 credits from completing the FEMA course online, and 6 credits from nypd auxiliary program.
    are you saying you can only get 8 from fema?? or can you get as many from fema that you want?

Forum Member

I got over 30 from FEMA just to have enough to get hired....then i went to college for real.

It was cheap, and yea it may not do much for me towards a degree, but it did it's job for me getting on.

Forum Member

Im really mad right now, I had 8 credits on my JJAY transcript from FEMA but they were taken off.. Why???

Forum Member

Hate to bring a thread back from the dead, has any of you who have taken the FEMA courses gotten exactly 60 credits transferring them over with Frederick Community? I called the education dept when i was double checking for Ashworth and the Officer on the phone told me FEMA now offers up to 60 Credits was just curious if any of you have gotten that much.

Forum Member
    I say go to a community college and knock out an Associates Degree. It might be a while before you get a call. You also want to have something to fall back on incase NYPD does not work out for you. Always have a backup plan my friend.

Forum Member
    Tesc is much cheaper to transfer FEMA credit don't use Federick college. Tesc 1-60 credit $467 federick college 60 credit $4,500. I went to school got 21 credits did a spanish Clep test 12 credits and 27 FEMA credits transfer them to tesc for $467.
    Last edited by mikey1787; 04-20-2011 at 08:27 AM.
    NYPD
    on the job

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCTNT View Post
    what is TESC, a buddy of mine has a bunch of FEMA courses he wants to transfer, but cant fork over the 2+k for them.

Thanks a lot!
    Call tesc ( Thomas Edison state college) Tesc.edu 888-442-8372 ask for the credit banking department.
    NYPD
    on the job