Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kindle or Nook

Forum Member

Kindle or Nook

I am interested in getting an e-reading device. Does anyone have one? and if you do, which do you prefer? I saw a Nook in Barnes and Noble today, I really like it, It was good to feel it, touch it, and work it. Plus there was someone there to help demonstrate it. I think this is a great way to read books without killing trees and going paperless. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Gopher Fan!
    Real paper and binding still has my vote...... if you're worried about killing trees, buy used books, or go to the library. I guess those e-readers would work if you're reading for entertainment, but most of my reading is still academic; even when I have an electronic copy, I prefer to print it out so I can take notes and highlight.

Liberals make me sick. Justsaying's Avatar
    I have a Kindle and love it. The new one is smaller and faster with higher contrast, I have ordered it, they sold out fast so I will get mine sometime next month. You really wont need help, they are really easy to use. I am sure you will like the one you get, I have read a lot more with my Kindle that I ever have, you really get used to reading with an e-reader. Good luck.

Macho Man
    I buy books just to throw them out.

I love my Kindle. One thing to keep in mind for the Kindle over the Nook; the Nook only has memory for about 350 books. The Kindle can store thousands.

Forum Member
    Barnes and Noble told me that memory for the nook can be upgraded to 16G, for over 3500 books

People still read books?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Forum Member
    Ipad!!!!!!!!

Macho Man
    Actually, that's a good point, getting an iPad. You wont be able to store as many books, but you can delete them once you're done reading them. You'll have movies, music, and other applications. Or you can get the iTouch which is exactly the same thing, just significantly smaller.

Gopher Fan!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenservo View Post
    Ipad!!!!!!!!
    The first iPad!

Quote Originally Posted by phillydog07 View Post
    Real paper and binding still has my vote...... if you're worried about killing trees, buy used books, or go to the library. I guess those e-readers would work if you're reading for entertainment, but most of my reading is still academic; even when I have an electronic copy, I prefer to print it out so I can take notes and highlight.
    +1........... Likes to dog ear my books.
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
    Not Yet Visited: 16
    Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Forum Member
    I don't know a lot about the Kindle, but the Nook is great.

Kindle may have this stuff too, but the 3G, internet access, audio output, and book selection is great. It's simple and intuitive to use and I like the size of it. The little color input screen works well.

Forum Member
    I'm thinking that too, I don't have WiFI at the house, I can connect from my pc to download a book. Barnes and Noble told me to put it on airplane mode, to save battery time also. I don't think I will have this urge to download a book at a Starbucks. There is a B &N close by, so I can go in easily with any issues. I think the Nook looks better too.

Former Combat Plumber sketchy002's Avatar
    I have a Kindle and I like it. you can use the internet and bookstore features pretty much anywhere because it uses 3G. I haven't found much use for the internet though. Still I have quite a few books on it and it's cool to use. I do have to agree with Cop Fan though, the Nook looks better, but I like my little Kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenservo View Post
    Ipad!!!!!!!!
    The advantage of the Kindle over the iPad is it's not backlit. It's a lot easier on the eyes, and the battery lasts weeks, not hours.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by a Cop Fan View Post
    I am interested in getting an e-reading device. Does anyone have one? and if you do, which do you prefer? I saw a Nook in Barnes and Noble today, I really like it, It was good to feel it, touch it, and work it. Plus there was someone there to help demonstrate it. I think this is a great way to read books without killing trees and going paperless. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Barnes & Noble put itself up for sale very recently. They went from a force that put fear into lesser book sellers to one that is scrambling to survive because they couldn't adapt to the "new method" that Amazon sprung on the world. Their Nook is too late to make in roads because of the Kindle's price drop and the iPad.

Investing in a product from a company floundering might not be the best choice. If it's only between those 2 products, I'd have to pick the $139 Kindle. Instead I use the (free) Kindle app on my computer and iPhone to read books and don't have a unitasker reader.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...d-2042654.html

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10829...stors-say.html
    Last edited by Bounce; 08-20-2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: added news links

Forum Member
    Kindle over the Nook

May I throw another hat into the ring? Have you considered a SONY eBook? I just bought one for my wife and she loves it. The reason I went with the Sony was because you're aren't locked down. With the Kindle you have to buy books through Amazon via their network. I mean honestly, how many times are you away from a computer and think, man I need to buy this book RIGHT now. For many of us I doubt that has ever or will ever happen. The Sony allows you to download books via their store or other options. It has direct access to Google books which has a ton of older classics. Another great feature is the program "Calibre". It's software that you can get for free that does so much. It is able to convert PDF and other formats to fit onto your reader. This enables you to download manuals, books, etc and put them right on your book effortlessly. Also it has almost 350 English news sources that it will automatically download and load onto your device. Finally, the feature that totally sold me was my local library. They have (and apparently its a big trend) an option to "rent" ebooks right from their website. You download them and put them on your reader and it is yours for two weeks. Ok done selling my opinion

That is actually what has stoped me from getting a nook for my fiance, she reads about 2 novels a week and we have a serious collection of them taking up alot of space. I just dont like the idea of being limited to only one way of getting something since alot of the stuff she reads might not be carried at only that one place like BN or Amazon.

JDougal,

I think you just sold me on the sony version. If im understanding it right though you CAN get them from amazon and barns n noble using the sony one or you can atleast get them on your comp and convert them?
    Last edited by Dingbat; 08-22-2010 at 07:55 PM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Forum Member
    I was at bestbuy to look at the Sony too, They had the Nook there too. That surprised me, I thought it would be exclusive to Barnes and Noble. I could not open the Sony Box, it had a security device on it. But the floor person told me that there is a big memory difference between these two devices. Nook comes with 2G, Sony 500mg(estimated) . If someone knows different, let me know. That is a big difference in the amount of books it can store on the device.

Forum Member
    wireless access allows for subscriptions to magazines, newpapers and other periodicals as well. if you travel, having a new issue waiting in your reader when you are ready for it is nice.

Forum Member
    I purchased a nook recently. I like the formfactor better than the kindle. The touch-screen below features a more useful, adaptable interface that changes depending upon what task the reader is being used for. i.e.: browsing for a book, reading a book, etc. I didn't like all of the buttons on the face of the kindle.

Calibre can be used for any ebook reader to convert pdf to another format, it's not unique to one reader. I liked the nook over the kindle because of the expandable memory option, and the ability to browse books at a local B&N store (though I was unaware of their current financial state. Time will tell with that one.)

The nook supports "e-book lending." Local libraries are now supporting ebooks as well. You log into a site with your library card number, and download a book that will be readable for 14 days. Check overdrive.com to see if your local library participates.

I'm also ignorant to the facts of whether the kindle can be modified or not, or even what the steps are but www.nookdevs.com has a lot of info on rooting your nook and adding 3rd party functionality to the firmware (generally inadvisable if you care about your warranty, but the option is there).

I'll be honest I haven't checked out the new kindle and it could change my mind, but I am partial to the nook for the above reasons.

Forum Member
    Bestbuy is starting to carry the Nook while Target is stocking the Kindle.

Forum Member
    I ended up getting the Kindle at 79.00 It is exactly what I was looking for. The Kidle touch was 4G memory for 20 more bucks, but when mom gets it for birthday I won't kick it

Poke'mon Master
    Quote Originally Posted by a Cop Fan View Post
    I ended up getting the Kindle at 79.00 It is exactly what I was looking for. The Kidle touch was 4G memory for 20 more bucks, but when mom gets it for birthday I won't kick it
    Old thread.. thanks for the update... Now I need to know why my purchase of the Kindle Fire for my wife was a nice comprimise for the ipad2 which is 300 dollars more. kendle fire:199.00 Ipad2 499.00.
    Gotta catch em allll.........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast