Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Forum Member

Questions about the NY Court Assistant position (upcoming exam this fall)...

I just passed the Court Officer exam and I also signed up to take the Court Asst. exam this fall as a backup. There is plenty of information on the web about the CO position thanks to current and former COs but nothing I can find regarding the CA position. Can anyone provide more information about this job? (besides what was listed on OCA's website (vacation, sick pay, starting pay, etc)).
    For example:
    1. Is the salary structure similar to a CO (as far as yearly raises)? I know the CO starts at 39k and then jumps to 49k after 2 yr period. I am sure there are yearly raises after that. I was just wondering if a CA will make good money or start higher (44k) and then be stuck there for many years.

Any input regarding the salary, pension and health care coverage or any other knowledge of the position would be greatly appreciated!!

RETIRED 9-16-2010
    It's a pretty good job. Pension, health care etc. are the same as for Court Officers. The process is shorter for the court assistant job. They are peace officers, but most have "no gun" ID cards. You won't be able to get a firearm unless you go through most of the hoops for the Court Officer job -psychological exam, more intense background check etc. The starting pay is more for court assistant, but after 2 years, a court officer would make more as his or her salary would jump 4 pay grades So, you would get step increases each year, but would make less than a court officer when both are at the top of their pay grade.
    Quote Originally Posted by CivilServant14 View Post
    I just passed the Court Officer exam and I also signed up to take the Court Asst. exam this fall as a backup. There is plenty of information on the web about the CO position thanks to current and former COs but nothing I can find regarding the CA position. Can anyone provide more information about this job? (besides what was listed on OCA's website (vacation, sick pay, starting pay, etc)).
    For example:
    1. Is the salary structure similar to a CO (as far as yearly raises)? I know the CO starts at 39k and then jumps to 49k after 2 yr period. I am sure there are yearly raises after that. I was just wondering if a CA will make good money or start higher (44k) and then be stuck there for many years.

Any input regarding the salary, pension and health care coverage or any other knowledge of the position would be greatly appreciated!!
    Last edited by soon2retire; 08-07-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Forum Member

In a little cafe just the other side of the border
    Most court assistants become scc's, who make more than court officers, and become their bosses without being court officers. . There were former intepeters that are now senior clerks. Just being trivial.
    Last edited by Letmypeoplego; 08-07-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Letmypeoplego View Post
    Most court assistants become scc's, who make more than court officers, and become their bosses without being court officers. . There were former intepeters that are now senior clerks. Just being trivial.
    What are the top salaries for both positions (or how does the pay grade system work)? And as for the hiring process for CA...would you say they hire a substantial amount of CAs per judicial district?

TP3
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CivilServant14 View Post
    What are the top salaries for both positions (or how does the pay grade system work)? And as for the hiring process for CA...would you say they hire a substantial amount of CAs per judicial district?
    I would also like to know this, do they hire a good amount of court assistants per district?

Forum Member

I also applied to take this exam as a back-up. I ended up passing the Court Officer exam but you can never be too safe. Does anyone know what the hiring process is like for this position? How long after they establish a list does hiring start?
    Last edited by Blackangel5288; 08-15-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: didnt fully read a prev. post

TP3
    Forum Member

this is an email i received from another board about the court assistant position, from someone who is actually a court assisant

"The court has just offered a fantastic retirement incentive, which thousands people have taken throughout the state and from varying titles. They expect to hire many people from the lists and expect to basically run through the lists relatively quickly."

so it looks like this is gonna be faster process than for the court officer, gonna make sure i do well on this test

Forum Member
    i wish you guys would have posted this before the close date..... i would have sent my wife for this test

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TP3 View Post
    this is an email i received from another board about the court assistant position, from someone who is actually a court assisant

"The court has just offered a fantastic retirement incentive, which thousands people have taken throughout the state and from varying titles. They expect to hire many people from the lists and expect to basically run through the lists relatively quickly."

so it looks like this is gonna be faster process than for the court officer, gonna make sure i do well on this test
    Looks like many Court Officers are taking the position as well. Hopefully the OCA will move faster with all titles. Also wondering whether the recent federal stimulus bill to help save state civil service jobs will affect OCA's hiring.

Forum Member

I just took the test today. I thought it was very difficult!! anyone else have an opinion? And was there an afternoon test as well?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackangel5288 View Post
    I just took the test today. I thought it was very difficult!! anyone else have an opinion? And was there an afternoon test as well?
    I took the afternoon exam..I thought the format and content was similar to the CO test but the Court Record Keeping section took up a HUGE chunk of time so I ended up rushing through the rest of the exam.

Forum Member

Hey...I agree with CS14. The Records section was tricky. I think there were a lot of similarities between the CO and CA exams. In my opinion, the CA exam was more difficult. I'm sort of thankful I took the CO test, because it prepared me for the Assistant test. It's not a prep book. But it taught me how to respond to what the question asked, rather than stressing what the answer was. Read read read!! Hope you all did well!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieMae View Post
    Hey...I agree with CS14. The Records section was tricky. I think there were a lot of similarities between the CO and CA exams. In my opinion, the CA exam was more difficult. I'm sort of thankful I took the CO test, because it prepared me for the Assistant test. It's not a prep book. But it taught me how to respond to what the question asked, rather than stressing what the answer was. Read read read!! Hope you all did well!!!
    I took the test yesterday morning ... took the the prep course ... test was tricky I must say, I think I did pretty well ... I got an 88.3 ( 43XX rank) on the CO test ... it was kind of funny how after filling in the charts on the test, some of the questions had nothing to do with the charts you just completed ... the questions that drive me nuts are the ones when they say pick the most grammatically correct sentence out of 4 choices. I always have 2 that look correct ! I would guess I scored between 85 - 90 on this test ... hopefully : )

TP3
    Forum Member

the grammar part definately killed me, so that was a hit or miss for me, i nearly used the whole 3 hours on the test, i probably scored in the mid 80's which is better than my score for the CO test 81.7, taking that test definately prepared me for this one

Forum Member

yea u know i thought it would have been easier than the court officer test since there was no memory section to worry about. The grammar section was just so hard, i didnt realize how bad i was at grammar until i was sitting there and i couldnt pick for sure which answer was correct. The rest of the test was ok. The record keeping section took up so much time for only about ten questions. I took the entire three hours with a minute left to look over the test -if you could even call it that. Hopefully everything goes good with the court officer hiring process so i dont have to worry too much about this one. Pretty sure i didnt do too well

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackangel5288 View Post
    yea u know i thought it would have been easier than the court officer test since there was no memory section to worry about. The grammar section was just so hard, i didnt realize how bad i was at grammar until i was sitting there and i couldnt pick for sure which answer was correct. The rest of the test was ok. The record keeping section took up so much time for only about ten questions. I took the entire three hours with a minute left to look over the test -if you could even call it that. Hopefully everything goes good with the court officer hiring process so i dont have to worry too much about this one. Pretty sure i didnt do too well
    I felt the same way about being happy there wasn't going to be a memory section in this test ... but the grammar section was so tricky ... it almost felt like the state was trying to get a really small pool of good scores from this test ... I went down to the last minute also ... I think they gave us 4 or 4 1/2 hrs for the CO test and there was only 70 ques, compared to 85 ques. for this test ... 3 1/2 hrs would have been more reasonable for this test.

Forum Member

I think it took me about 2 1/2 hours to complete the test. The tables were the most difficult part for me, mostly for the tedium. I'd say that section took me an hour. I thought this exam was far less organized than the CO exam I took a year ago, as far as the proctoring went. I scored a 91.7 on the CO exam, so i hope I scored that or higher on this one.

Forum Member

does anyone know when they will come out with the list for this test?

Forum Member

This was my second civil service test ever. I took the prep course also and believe the actual test was much more difficult then their practice test. The actual exam was very tricky , with alot of reading which made time management critical. I too found that the tables were time consuming and several questions had to be manually calculated. I took another test this weekend and they gave us 6 1/2 hours to answer 105 questions and this test only povided 3 hours to answer 85 questions. Overall I believe that I scored in the very high 80's, but my goal was much higher. Losing track of time caused me to rush thru the last 25 questions. Fortunately I was able to finish the test, because I spoke to others that didn't and had to bubble in many answers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mile3535 View Post
    does anyone know when they will come out with the list for this test?
    According to the New York State Unified Court System web site:

IV. RECEIVE EXAM RESULTS: Applicants are emailed Results Notices generally six to seven months after the examination date.

I took this as well and hope we receive them sooner.

Forum Member

wow thats a long time. i heard alot of people are retiring so hopefully they release the list sooner

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TP3 View Post

I work for OCA.. I am not trying to burst anyones bubble and am not trying to be negative, but the retirement incentive was a way for the state to save money. A Lot of those positions are not going to be filled, I think CO's are exempt but I think that Court Assistants fall under the category of "not replacing"
    "It is not a measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" -Jiddu Krishnamurti -

Forum Member

can anyone explain how the ranking system works with the court assistant position?

Forum Member

To further michael89's question about the ranking system, why would court officers switch to a court assistant or court clerk position? Do they keep their peace officer status? Can they still carry? Are some of these position higher ranked than others?

RETIRED 9-16-2010
    A Court Officer would never switch to a Court Assistant position as it would be a step backwards. Court Clerk would be a promotion. If an officer promoted to clerk, they would still be able to carry as they already jumped through all the hoops

Page 1 of 3 123 Last