Page 1 of 71 1 2 3 4 11 51 ... Last
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: Michigan State Police Recruit School

  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Tokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    67

    Michigan State Police Recruit School

    Please do not get excited about this post as I have no information as to when the next one (if there will ever be another one..lol.) will take place. Forgive me if I got anyone's hopes up.
    I have wanted to join the Michigan State Police for some time now and wanted to know if anyone knows if they will be recruiting anytime in the near future. I know Michigan just received a grant (36m I believe) which may not have any allocation towards law enforcement but was just checking around. I would love to get a job in LE here in MI but of course this does not look good at the moment. I am holding out as long as I can so as not to move to another state to look for employment. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Be safe out there!

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    213
    As far as I know, nothing was placed in the budget appropriation for next fiscal year that starts October 1.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    LEO_needajob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eastern Michigan
    Posts
    113
    just watch the civil service commission website for openings to take the entry level law enforcement exam (2002) for troopers.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Tokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    67
    @warrior. Thanks
    @LEO needajob. I have ben for sure sure watching that site and am taking the 2002 exam for DNR next week. Hopefully that turns into something. I wonder what the test will be about (other than three topics stated on website)

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    213
    As you probably know, the exam is the same for the DNRE as it is for MSP. If the DNRE does not work out for you and when MSP does hire again, you should be able to have the test results forwarded to MSP rather than retake the exam again.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    LEO_needajob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eastern Michigan
    Posts
    113
    Yeah, you can forward them, but you'll have to do it after the MSP opens a test cycle. If its 6 months after the DNRE test you can retake it to get a better score.

    It isn't that hard... a few hours long. Mostly watching a video and answering questions based on what happens in the video. Kind of a "what would you do if...." type of thing. They do a grammar section, and a small report writing section where you watch a video describing an incident (theft from a roadside stand when I took it)... you then write up a little report based on the incident. IIRC that's how it goes... been a year or two since I took it.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    25
    Does anyone know how long your Civil Service Exam (2002) scores are valid? I remember it being like 5 years or something but cannot find information on the duration online. TIA

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    99
    So does anyone even have a clue to when they may even start testing again? Hopefully if they get a new Governor come November maybe? I live in Ohio but my girlfriend lives in Monroe, I'm only about a half hour away. I've test for the Ohio State Highway Patrol but would also like to apply for MSP. I know how badly the financial crisis is with all the Trooper layoffs and what not.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    213
    That's a good question. However, the governor is proposing funding cuts affecting all state departments for next fiscal year. I'm sure MSP is affected and then the question becomes, will retirements offset the funds needed to hire and train new troopers. I would not think that MSP requested funds next fiscal year for a recruit school.
    http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...-consider-cuts

    All state departments to include MSP have the potentional of being affected if voters choose to have a constitutional convention convened.
    http://www.mlive.com/politics/index....igan_cons.html

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Posts
    87
    Shortly after the last recruit school, I'm pretty sure they indefinately shut down the training facility in Lansing, so that can't be good news for near future recruit classes. If I had to take a guess, I'd say 2-3+ years before the next.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    99
    Hmm that's all interesting. I didn't hear the training facility in Lansing got shut down, that's unfortunate. That was my guess too, at least another few years. Plus they have to get the Troopers on the road that were laid off.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Posts
    87
    Still trying to find the article to back up my statement, but I do recall around 2008 seeing a news article about the shut down and possible sale of the building/land.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    LEO_needajob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eastern Michigan
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye_23 View Post
    Hmm that's all interesting. I didn't hear the training facility in Lansing got shut down, that's unfortunate. That was my guess too, at least another few years. Plus they have to get the Troopers on the road that were laid off.
    Those troopers are pretty much all back on the road

    Quote Originally Posted by mjlash View Post
    Still trying to find the article to back up my statement, but I do recall around 2008 seeing a news article about the shut down and possible sale of the building/land.
    Are you thinking about the MSP headquarters? They built (or I should say are building) a new HQ in Lansing. To my knowledge they did not mothball the training facility, as they are still hosting "in service" classes there.

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by LEO_needajob View Post
    Those troopers are pretty much all back on the road



    Are you thinking about the MSP headquarters? They built (or I should say are building) a new HQ in Lansing. To my knowledge they did not mothball the training facility, as they are still hosting "in service" classes there.
    Oh ok. My bad I wasn't aware most of the troopers are back on the road, that's good. I was talking to a trooper a few weeks ago and he said I can take the Civil Service Exam (2002) so when MSP does start hiring I'll have already tested. Does anyone know exactly how that works? It has been talked about a little bit a few posts above, I live in Ohio so I don't know much about all the details in Michigan. Thanks guys

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye_23 View Post
    Oh ok. My bad I wasn't aware most of the troopers are back on the road, that's good. I was talking to a trooper a few weeks ago and he said I can take the Civil Service Exam (2002) so when MSP does start hiring I'll have already tested. Does anyone know exactly how that works? It has been talked about a little bit a few posts above, I live in Ohio so I don't know much about all the details in Michigan. Thanks guys
    Exam 2002 is used from Conservation Officer, Motor Carrier Officer, State Trooper and Capitol Security Officer. At this time it is only offered to those applicants seeking a postion as a CO or MCO.
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/2002App_14040_7.pdf

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior1978 View Post
    Exam 2002 is used from Conservation Officer, Motor Carrier Officer, State Trooper and Capitol Security Officer. At this time it is only offered to those applicants seeking a postion as a CO or MCO.
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/2002App_14040_7.pdf

    I'll ask again: Does anyone know how long the test results from Exam 2002 are valid? I passed mine back in 2006, made it several steps into the 121st process and was eliminated by oral board. I figure I'll have to take it again, but I thought I remember that they're able to be forwarded for like 5 years? Anyone know if I'm right or wrong? Thanks.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    LEO_needajob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eastern Michigan
    Posts
    113
    Call the Civil Service Commission... sounds like nobody knows the answer to your question. 517-373-3030 1-800-788-1766

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    99
    I got a letter in the mail from the Ohio State Highway Patrol stating that I won't be processing within the 18 months my tests scores were good from when I took them in June. There were too many applicants ahead of me, I applied September of last year so my application was pretty recent. Definitely a bummer though, I hope this election in Michigan in November gets the right people in office so that budget cuts are in other places rather than Law Enforcement. Hopefully the State Police will test soon...who knows.

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye_23 View Post
    I got a letter in the mail from the Ohio State Highway Patrol stating that I won't be processing within the 18 months my tests scores were good from when I took them in June. There were too many applicants ahead of me, I applied September of last year so my application was pretty recent. Definitely a bummer though, I hope this election in Michigan in November gets the right people in office so that budget cuts are in other places rather than Law Enforcement. Hopefully the State Police will test soon...who knows.
    That would be awesome, working for the MSP is a definite honor. That and I love working traffic :P

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by mjlash View Post
    That would be awesome, working for the MSP is a definite honor. That and I love working traffic :P
    So you're a MSP Trooper?

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    99
    So how many of you have taken the exam for State Trooper? I'm hoping to test for MSP, I just turned 22 so I'm willing to wait awhile. But in the meantime I'm going to look at other departments as well, I'm not too familiar with the requirements for LE in Michigan. I have twenty something college credits and will probably finish my associates degree with an online school. Do most departments require a degree or just MCOLES certified?

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    LEO_needajob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eastern Michigan
    Posts
    113
    To put yourself through an academy, you have to have at least an Associate's Degree. The Detroit PD and MSP are pretty much the only ones that still run their own academy, which means that you could technically get hired by one of those agencies with only a HS Diploma. I'll tell you one thing... everyone I know that is around my age that is a cop, is going to be a cop, or is/has going to an academy has taken the test for the MSP. MSP is one of those agencies that pretty much everyone applies to, so it is pretty tough to get in. You'll want at least an associate's in CJ, a sparkling clean background, and some luck. With the way that things are around here right now... I'd stay in school and get a Bachelor's.

    I should change my name to LEO_gottajob... it took me 9 solid months of looking to come up with a part time job (got out of Academy last Dec). I've got a clean background, Assoc degree with about 30 credits until I've got BA, I know a ton of people in the police world around my area, and it still took 9 months to get my certification activated. Getting activated is pretty tough right now, it's very easy to use part timers who have experience somewhere else or were laid off from somewhere. Why spend the money and train a FNG.... know what I mean?

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by LEO_needajob View Post
    To put yourself through an academy, you have to have at least an Associate's Degree. The Detroit PD and MSP are pretty much the only ones that still run their own academy, which means that you could technically get hired by one of those agencies with only a HS Diploma. I'll tell you one thing... everyone I know that is around my age that is a cop, is going to be a cop, or is/has going to an academy has taken the test for the MSP. MSP is one of those agencies that pretty much everyone applies to, so it is pretty tough to get in. You'll want at least an associate's in CJ, a sparkling clean background, and some luck. With the way that things are around here right now... I'd stay in school and get a Bachelor's.

    Yeah I do, thanks. It's a bummer I can't go down south for employment but I wanna stay around here. I know it'll happen someday, I just don't know when. I am planning on going back to school to finish my Associate's, I have around 20 credits so far I think. I have a very clean background, no accidents, tickets, criminal record, nothing. I just have to be patient, which is tough to do when you just wanna be a LEO so badly.

    I should change my name to LEO_gottajob... it took me 9 solid months of looking to come up with a part time job (got out of Academy last Dec). I've got a clean background, Assoc degree with about 30 credits until I've got BA, I know a ton of people in the police world around my area, and it still took 9 months to get my certification activated. Getting activated is pretty tough right now, it's very easy to use part timers who have experience somewhere else or were laid off from somewhere. Why spend the money and train a FNG.... know what I mean?

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by LEO_needajob View Post
    To put yourself through an academy, you have to have at least an Associate's Degree. The Detroit PD and MSP are pretty much the only ones that still run their own academy, which means that you could technically get hired by one of those agencies with only a HS Diploma. I'll tell you one thing... everyone I know that is around my age that is a cop, is going to be a cop, or is/has going to an academy has taken the test for the MSP. MSP is one of those agencies that pretty much everyone applies to, so it is pretty tough to get in. You'll want at least an associate's in CJ, a sparkling clean background, and some luck. With the way that things are around here right now... I'd stay in school and get a Bachelor's.

    I should change my name to LEO_gottajob... it took me 9 solid months of looking to come up with a part time job (got out of Academy last Dec). I've got a clean background, Assoc degree with about 30 credits until I've got BA, I know a ton of people in the police world around my area, and it still took 9 months to get my certification activated. Getting activated is pretty tough right now, it's very easy to use part timers who have experience somewhere else or were laid off from somewhere. Why spend the money and train a FNG.... know what I mean?
    Yeah I do, thanks. It's a bummer I can't go down south for employment but I wanna stay around here. I know it'll happen someday, I just don't know when. I am planning on going back to school to finish my Associate's, I have around 20 credits so far I think. I have a very clean background, no accidents, tickets, criminal record, nothing. I just have to be patient, which is tough to do when you just wanna be a LEO so badly.

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye_23 View Post
    Yeah I do, thanks. It's a bummer I can't go down south for employment but I wanna stay around here. I know it'll happen someday, I just don't know when. I am planning on going back to school to finish my Associate's, I have around 20 credits so far I think. I have a very clean background, no accidents, tickets, criminal record, nothing. I just have to be patient, which is tough to do when you just wanna be a LEO so badly.

    Patience is a virtue. Do not put all your eggs in one basket.

    In other words, take a deep breath...select multiple departments that interest you....and do not get discouraged when things don't go your way on the first swing. As was said before; this field is incredibly competitive right now, especially in Michigan. So get your education, stay clean, practice your basic grammar, spelling, etiquette, etc. and GET/STAY IN SHAPE! You do not get taken seriously for the LE field if you are the least bit out of shape. Good luck, you'll do fine.

Page 1 of 71 1 2 3 4 11 51 ... Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register