Page 6 of 75 First ... 34567891656 ... Last
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Michigan State Police Recruit School

Forum Member

Seeing how i have an Associates in LE and a Bachelors in CJ, i think im going to apply. Is the MSP site the correct place to apply?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Eagles View Post
    Seeing how i have an Associates in LE and a Bachelors in CJ, i think im going to apply. Is the MSP site the correct place to apply?
    If you want to apply, you have to register to take the Civil Service for Entry-level Law Enforcement exam #2002 found here: http://www.michigan.gov/mdcs/0,1607,...231---,00.html. After you complete that exam, and if you pass, you'll automatically be registered to receive hiring information whenever they run a Recruit School. This exam is also to qualify for Motor Carrier Officer and DNR as well.

The next R/S is beginning this coming Sunday, 12/26. So you'll have to wait it out until the next school comes around. Good luck!

Former Devil Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by 7th District View Post
    ....This photograph documents one the happiest days in my life. I have to admit when I returned to my seat I got a bit misty eyed.

Good luck to those who will be starting tomorrow. It's a taunting and yet exciting experience. A lot of hard work lay ahead of you, but in the end it will all be worth it.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." - Teddy Roosevelt

Disclaimer: The opinions I express here are mine and mine alone. They are not intended to reflect the positions/opinions of any other known person(s) or organization(s).

Forum Member

7th District,

Do you think MSP will open tranfers to Metro North or Detroit Posts to provide Pontiac/Royal Oak with additional manpower since MSP is currently assisting them?

Former Devil Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by dep1299 View Post
    7th District,

Do you think MSP will open tranfers to Metro North or Detroit Posts to provide Pontiac/Royal Oak with additional manpower since MSP is currently assisting them?
    Do you mean for the probationary troopers out of this recruit school? If so then I'd say no, at least not to Detroit. As for regular troops in the field I've been seeing movement in the 2nd District on the transfer notices.

Just think, in a little less then an hour this current recruit school class will be lining up on the ramp outside of the gymnasium for their 1st session for morning PT.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." - Teddy Roosevelt

Disclaimer: The opinions I express here are mine and mine alone. They are not intended to reflect the positions/opinions of any other known person(s) or organization(s).

Forum Member

Do you mean for the probationary troopers out of this recruit school? If so then I'd say no, at least not to Detroit. As for regular troops in the field I've been seeing movement in the 2nd District on the transfer notices.

Just think, in a little less then an hour this current recruit school class will be lining up on the ramp outside of the gymnasium for their 1st session for morning PT.
    I meant just regular transfers since a new class is starting. With Pontiac laying off more officers, I didnt know if MSP was going to assign more troops there. I thought the troops assigned to Pontiac are from the Detroit Post.

Forum Member

Forum Member

I sent in my application for the entry level test a few days before Christmas, but haven't heard anything yet. Should I still wait, or has the ship sailed?

Forum Member
    The current ship has sailed, but you'll get a letter the next time they do a test. The results are good for a long time so take it if you get the chance.
    This LEO is now: gottajob

Forum Member

Does anyone know is there is a study guide for the civil service exam, i am supposed to be taking it sometime a the end of Jan. thanks

Forum Member
    The exam is not that hard, its all video based, and common sense.

Forum Member

Just curious, since this exam is listed as being for Motor Carrier Officer and Conservation Officer, how is it going to be linked with any future Trooper recruit hiring? It only gives you the two options to apply for (MCO or CO, so wouldnt you think they would put you through that process?

Forum Member
    It means they're only accepting apps for those jobs right now. If they open testing for Trooper you can call the Civil Service Commission and have them use your score from the MCO/CO testing as its the same test.

Forum Member

When i applied around mid december the state trooper name was on there as well. Now they removed that check box

Forum Member
    Just an update for any of those who are interested to hear, our Trooper Recruit School is still 38 recruits strong and doing well. Apparently we are the first Recruit School that hasn't had anyone quit within the first two weeks, that is according to the commanders that have talked to us. Tomorrow we will be going back to start our 5th week. Morning PT sessions are hard, especially with only 38 recruits and nowhere to blend in. But it is all worth the hard work we are putting in towards that end goal We still have a LONG way to go, but it will go by fast I'm sure. I don't have much of an opportunity to jump on here anymore, but I'll try to keep everyone posted from time to time.

For anyone interested, I don't know the next Trooper Recruit School. But I heard that they will be running a Motor Carrier Recruit School beginning this summer after my school gets finished. I believe they are looking to start in either June, July or August. Its not a bad option for anyone who is looking for a job in Law Enforcement. But you have to complete the civil service exam before applying to get into the recruit school for that.

Former Devil Dog
    Congratulations Blue, and thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that all 38 recruits are still in it. I imagine right now you are getting ready to head back. I can tell you that I don't miss those Sunday afternoon knots in my stomach during the drive back to the Training Academy.

Forum Member

Took the entry test today for Motor Carrier Recruit. Heres hoping

Former Devil Dog

This is a trailer of a documentary that they are currently filming. It centers around the 122nd Recruit School. It was shown to the us this last weekend during the quarterly in Detroit. Everyone seemed to be very impressed with it, myself included.

Forum Member

This is a trailer of a documentary that they are currently filming. It centers around the 122nd Recruit School. It was shown to the us this last weekend during the quarterly in Detroit. Everyone seemed to be very impressed with it, myself included.

That looks pretty awesome. Keep us informed on when that gets released, would you?
    Austin Texas Police Department (APD)

03/25/10: PT: Passed
    03/25/10: Nelson Denny - Passed
    03/25/10: Writing Sample - Passed
    03/26/10: INI - Passed
    03/26/10: MMP - Passed
    03/26/10: Oral Interview - Passed
    06/07/10: Background Investigation - Passed
    09/07/10: Medical/drug screening - Passed
    09/08/10: Polygraph - Passed
    09/08/10: Psych evaluation - Passed
    09/23/10: Eligibility Roster - #26

08/15/2011 - Academy Starts

Forum Member

My buddy that is a trooper said there may be another federal grant for a recruit school. They will know at the beginning of the fiscal year, he wasn't positive but there is a chance. It would be another small academy, probably around 30-50.

Forum Member

I'd be hesitant to take the Motor Carrier option. It is NOT considered law enforcement. It is safety and regulatory. Heavy emphasis on truck inspection, and traffic. It is an enforcement arm, but at least in the past; has been treated as the ugly step child. The MCO position will not keep your certification active. In the past you were required to let your police certification expire. The pay and benefits are less as well. It is not often a leg up to become a trooper. Why should they pay to send you through another academy, when they have you manning a position in the department already? A position that is often difficult to fill in better economic times. If you want a state job, and enjoy the trucking industry it is a good fit. If you wish to be a cop, and enforce the law...don't do it, just say no! The Motor Carrier chain of command, at least in the past would tell anyone the same thing. They were heavily staffed with ex weighmasters, that wanted little to do with any type of police work, or the MSP for that matter. Think twice, and good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye_23 View Post
    My buddy that is a trooper said there may be another federal grant for a recruit school. They will know at the beginning of the fiscal year, he wasn't positive but there is a chance. It would be another small academy, probably around 30-50.
    I wonder what would happen to this recruit school or for that matter a future recruit school if the "cops grants" were to go away. It is a topic of discussion with the grant funding possibly getting the axe.

http://www.governing.com/blogs/fedwa...ts.html?page=1

Forum Member

How was the PT for the academy? I am also curious on hearing from former members of the military about their experiences with the academy. Did your time in the military help you with the academy? How was the academy compaired to basic training? I am trying to get a picture of how I can use my experiences with the Coast Guard to better prepare myself to obtain a job as a Trooper and complete the academy. Forgive me but I must ask this last question, are there any ride along opportunities in the St. Ignace area or Sault Ste. Marie area?

Thank you for your help,
    Joe

Forum Member
    I know for a fact that there is at least one (but pretty sure two) MCO's in the current Trooper school. If they were hesitant to move MCO's up to Trooper why would they do so during the worst economic time for the state and when the running the smallest school in decades? I think if the applicant has the qualities they're looking for it won't matter much.

Forum Member
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Motor Carrier Officer academy almost identical to the Trooper academy, with a few exceptions in the classroom? Other than that, the same PT, the same militaristic style? If so, you have to be really dedicated (a slightly crazy... i kid) to go through two academy's like that. I went through two myself, but neither were that militaristic. All the same, good luck to all in the current academy. One of the recruits is my former classmate from my first academy in Michigan. Also, good luck to everyone trying to get into the next academy class.

Page 6 of 75 First ... 34567891656 ... Last