Page 30 of 72 First ... 202728293031323340 ... Last
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: Michigan State Police Recruit School

Forum Member

anybody know how long it takes to get test date, I have emailed in my application for the exam # 2002 but have not heard anything back, it has been 3 weeks?

thanks in advance

Forum Member

Took me about 4 weeks to hear back on my civil service test date.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blue888 View Post
    anybody know how long it takes to get test date, I have emailed in my application for the exam # 2002 but have not heard anything back, it has been 3 weeks?

thanks in advance
    You'll probably be scheduled for Dec. 10th give or take, good luck.
    MSP 1896

Forum Member

Thanks also are the $23 practice tests worth it or is that a waste of time.

thanks in advance

Forum Member

Some people have said they were helpful. I personally didn't purchase the practice test and I did fine.

Forum Member
    Chances are, you'll do okay on the test. However, I recommend getting the practice test. Its only $20 and they'll show you exactly what you'll see on the exam. You'll feel a little more confident going in and knowing exactly what types of questions to expect and what answers THEY expect. But that's just my opinion. Either way, its definitely not a waste of money.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTee View Post
    Chances are, you'll do okay on the test. However, I recommend getting the practice test. Its only $20 and they'll show you exactly what you'll see on the exam. You'll feel a little more confident going in and knowing exactly what types of questions to expect and what answers THEY expect. But that's just my opinion. Either way, its definitely not a waste of money.
    +1
    MSP 1896

Forum Member

anybody know what the odds are roughly of course of getting into academy?

*how many usually apply and how many usually get accepted?

Thanks in advance

Forum Member

I believe the last recruit school had 3,000 applicants and near 100 got in. Don't quote me on stats although I think I'm close enough for you to get a good idea of the odds; Pretty slim! But that's what makes it exciting

Forum Member

Also, For the upcoming recruit school only 70 are wanted at this time according to Recruiting & Selection

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmich11 View Post
    I believe the last recruit school had 3,000 applicants and near 100 got in. Don't quote me on stats although I think I'm close enough for you to get a good idea of the odds; Pretty slim! But that's what makes it exciting
    Not surprised after seeing the people that showed up to take the 2002 exam in Lansing
    MSP 1896

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmich11 View Post
    After the written test, physical agility, and pre-screening portions are completed I would guess there are under 500 applicants in the runnings from that 3,000 number.

Each applicant has to pass each portion of the selection process pass/fail. Your not competing against everyone else aside from getting into the recruit school before it fills up. If the department doesnt get 70 qualified applicants, there is no B list, they will just run the academy with the lower number.

Thats why it's important to be in good physical condition, be truthful during the process, and prepare for the hiring interview.
    Last edited by Metro21; 11-27-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Forum Member

How long does it generally take for the complete application process?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metro21 View Post
    , and prepare for the hiring interview.
    Any suggestions?
    MSP 1896

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blue888 View Post
    How long does it generally take for the complete application process?
    Once the civil service exam is passed, the process moves quickly.

• Expect 4 weeks for applicants to receive a test date from Civil Service. Expect 7-8 weeks to receive results of test. Reasons why:
    o 1,000 applicants are testing per month
    o A portion of the test is hand-graded
    o Civil Service is not hiring additional employees

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Get Some View Post
    Any suggestions?
    If you look back on this thread, youll find information on the hiring interview. Also, talking to a recruiter is a good idea as they have the up to date information.

Forum Member

Thanks metro I tested Nov 1st I thought my results would come in a month

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metro21 View Post
    If you look back on this thread, youll find information on the hiring interview. Also, talking to a recruiter is a good idea as they have the up to date information.
    Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetip76 View Post
    Thanks metro I tested Nov 1st I thought my results would come in a month
    After 4 weeks of your test you can call to get a score, the letter will take significantly longer to arrive.
    MSP 1896

Forum Member

Bluetip76, Mine took over 6 weeks. I was so excited to get my score I called every single day after the 4 weeks were up. They don't mind. But they also said mine would only take 4 weeks. Just be patient, it'll come. After your score comes through and you get your date for the agility and pre screen the process goes fairly quick. Just got the call that my background investigation started today so it didn't take very long after the agility/pre screen. Good luck

Forum Member

I took the test on October 8th and it has now been a full 8 weeks. I called today and they said the tests should be finished grading this week or next. He made it sound like anyone who tested in October should have a score by next week.

Forum Member

Anyone going to the physical agility testing this coming Saturday?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDub1978 View Post
    Anyone going to the physical agility testing this coming Saturday?
    Apparently not, haha. Anyway, good luck!

1. Make sure you have all your paperwork and copies! You don't want to get home because you don't have your original birth certificate or something silly like that.
    2. Do your best on every event, like its your one and only chance.
    3. If you do your first interview, be 100% honest. Yes, 100% honest, everyone has done one or two bad things in their life. MSP isn't looking for angels.

Well, that's all the help I can give! Good luck and do your best!

Forum Member

Thanks Royaltee. Fortunately I have actually been through this once before. I failed the pushups last time! Did 33 but didn't go down far enough on 4 of them so only got credit for 29. I won't let that happen again!
    RoyalTee and cmich11 like this.

Forum Member

Is a wider pushup stance allowed or is it strictly arms shoulder width apart? And do you do pushups and then go straight into the next exercise or is there a waiting period between events?

Forum Member

North, they made me go shoulder width apart. The proctors really pay attention to detail too so make sure you know how to do a correct pushup. As far as time before the next event, what happened at ours is we had a group of roughly 15 people so your time to recover and wait is during the time they conduct their exercise. It's definitely enough time to recover if your in good shape.

Page 30 of 72 First ... 202728293031323340 ... Last