Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How much over the speed limit can you go without getting pulled over by radar gun???

Forum Member

How much over the speed limit can you go without getting pulled over by radar gun???

Hey guys,

I work in Fullerton/La Habra, CA and motorcycle cops have a strong presence here. Everyday after work I see a motorcycle cop waiting for a victim with his radar. The posted speed limit is 45mph. I'm been driving very careful the past year because of a ticket I got last year (don't want insurance to sky rocket). My question is: how much over the speed limit can you go when the cop decides to pull you over. Does it depend on the officer or some other factor? Reason I ask is because everyone around me is speeding, I would guess around 50mph-60mph. I notice cars tailgating me and giving me mean looks when they pass me because I'm going 45mph.
    Also the route I take consists of a lot of hills, so cars pick up a lot of speed when going down hill.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jromulo; 07-28-2010 at 06:56 PM.

(--GOD--)
    The speed LIMIT...Limit not, its ok to go just a few over...THE LIMIT which is not to be exceeded is what its ok to go and or a bit under it... So by asking your question you are conspiring to break the law.

Have gun......will travel
    Well..................Radar Guns don't pull you over

As to the latter part of your question You see motorcycle Cops waiting for "victims" to pull over?

They are known in the LEO world as Speeders or Violators. Look up the definition of victim and it will help you learn the distinction
    NavyK9 likes this.
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by Jromulo View Post

I work in Fullerton/La Habra, CA and motorcyle cops have a strong presence here. Everyday after work I see a motorcylce cop waiting for a victim with his radar.
    Known in our circles as a law breaker....................

The posted speed limit is 45mph. I'm been driving very carfeful the past year because of a ticket I got last year (don't want insurance to sky rocket).
    This statement proves that you have some intelligence.

I asked my brother whose in the LAPD but he doesn't use the radar gun so he can't give me an answer.
    Well, we aren't going to either.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

victis honor
    I think the question you really need answered is...

"How much can I get away with without paying the price?"

My answer is, Carma's a bee-och! You may get away with it for a while but eventually something bad's gonna happen.
    This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

nom de plume

The goal is to keep the roads safe and prevent victims who become such after a speeder causes a wreck. Often the violator is a victim of his own actions.
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Notice to the OP: DON'T SPEED! We are not going to tell you that it is "safe" to exceed the speed limit in Fullerton. None of us knows their Departmental Policy or Procedure. The best thing for you to do is read the California Vehicle Code section that pertains to speed:

Basic Speed Law
    22350. No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.

Amended Ch. 252, Stats. 1963. Effective September 20, 1963.
    Of course, there are numerous other sections that are specific to the environment - business, residential, schools, etc., but you should get the idea!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member

There are no "victims" in traffic enforcement, only violators. As you're cruising along, observing the posted speed limit, don't be too upset at the dirty looks etc. You won't be paying their traffic citations. Past that, check out the replies you've recieved thus far. All have good information.

Forum Member
    To answer your original question....less than 1 mph...any more than that and you are measurably speeding.

Forum Member

Everyone else is afraid to answer your question, like there's some thin blue line of secrecy for the discretion we use for speeders. I'll man up and answer your question. Limit is 45 you say? As long as you keep it under 80 you should be fine. We get a little testy if you're doing double the speed limit, but anything under double is considered small fish.

Forum Member

Meh... It just depends. I've heard stories of cops in such and such department that will give you a ticket for 4 over the speed limit. Personally I've worked for three departments in my career and I've never known an officer to do that.

Me personally, I'm pretty lean on speed enforcement. I typically give 12-15mph leeway on highways and 8-10 over on residential streets.

10 over is pretty much the standard among cops I've spoken to. But if you are going 10 over, you run the risk of running into a cop who thinks 8 over is too fast.

See my point here? It really just depends on the cop you run into. A motorcycle cop's job (among other things) is to slow motorists down, so he probably is going to have less tolerance for a speeder than a cop who is working a busy sector.

So really, just don't speed. I know everyone does. But once you start pushing it, you run risk of being cited.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo990 View Post
    Meh... It just depends. I've heard stories of cops in such and such department that will give you a ticket for 4 over the speed limit. Personally I've worked for three departments in my career and I've never known an officer to do that.

Me personally, I'm pretty lean on speed enforcement. I typically give 12-15mph leeway on highways and 8-10 over on residential streets.

10 over is pretty much the standard among cops I've spoken to. But if you are going 10 over, you run the risk of running into a cop who thinks 8 over is too fast.

See my point here? It really just depends on the cop you run into. A motorcycle cop's job (among other things) is to slow motorists down, so he probably is going to have less tolerance for a speeder than a cop who is working a busy sector.

So really, just don't speed. I know everyone does. But once you start pushing it, you run risk of being cited.
    Looks like Dingo nailed it for you. Motorcycle Officer= traffic enforcement. The car shagging calls in a district may not have sufficient time to work traffic, even if he/she wants to. OTH, if that car says CHP on the side, it works traffic in the same manner as the Motor Officers we've discussed.

Forum Member
    thanks for the replies especially the last 3 people, you guys answered my question straight forward.

TGM
    Former State Trooper
    Don't forget... many vehicles display 2-4 off from actual speed. So.... if you decided to use your 4 mph "buffer" and think you won't get stopped... think again! If you go 4 over the speed limit thinking you are safe, and your speedo is only 2 mph off from actual speed - you are now going 6 over the limit, which will get you stopped in Wyoming. (Yes, we are that strict.... and no, we have nothing better to do)

Forum Member

2 - 4 ... 5 over is a ticket ... maybe 10 ... maybe 1 ...

Just don't speed. Don't worry about how fast you can go. Sure would suck if you are told 10, so you drive 55 in the 45 and get a ticket .. probably suck even more if you are only doing 5 over and get a ticket.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TGM View Post
    Don't forget... many vehicles display 2-4 off from actual speed. So.... if you decided to use your 4 mph "buffer" and think you won't get stopped... think again! If you go 4 over the speed limit thinking you are safe, and your speedo is only 2 mph off from actual speed - you are now going 6 over the limit, which will get you stopped in Wyoming. (Yes, we are that strict.... and no, we have nothing better to do)
    Any why are we that strict? Lets just say that it's 0230, I'm sitting in a crossover, and I haven't seen a vehicle besides a semi in 5 minutes. Just because you're getting stopped doesn't always mean a citation. I'm sure it gets even worse in Wyoming... Thankfully people from Chicago don't understand that and think they can still come over here, do 20 over, and get away with it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zhakkar View Post
    Any why are we that strict? Lets just say that it's 0230, I'm sitting in a crossover, and I haven't seen a vehicle besides a semi in 5 minutes. Just because you're getting stopped doesn't always mean a citation. I'm sure it gets even worse in Wyoming... Thankfully people from Chicago don't understand that and think they can still come over here, do 20 over, and get away with it.
    LOL I grew up in Iowa and this is completely true. The night officer in my home town would pull you over just because he was bored and trying to stay awake. Then he would walk up and just talk for a while. After he asked about your parents and made some conversation off you went. He would even admit he was stopping you because he had nothing better to do.

One Man Force Multiplier
    If i play Chippie on the highway, I dont stop for any less than 10 over and cite for less than 20 over. with exceptions
    Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
    Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Forum Member

in the chicagoland area, most of the guys i work with wont stop until 15+ over on residential, i tend to go 11+ for myself. they wont stop on the higway until 80mph since its a 55mph limit. its because of the risks making stops on the highway here.

nom de plume

I prefer to use all factors and not the singular simple minded approach.

Which of these two vehicles are the most dangerous, damaging, and require the most stopping distance at xx mph over the limit?

Cell phone use
    Weight / size
    distance following
    weaving or frequent lane changes
    aggressive driving
    lighting or equipment violations
    Last edited by ryker; 08-01-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Former Deputy Sheriff

The law says that 1mph over is speeding. Of course, I know of no cop who will stop you or cite for 1mph.

It varies by officer/deputy, department, shift, policy, attitude, traffic conditions, general "flow" of traffic, road design, time of day, etc., etc., etc. Just about every cop is going to give you a different answer.....and all of them will be correct for their beat or situation.

My general feeling was (and I have been a civilian for years now) that 12 mph over the limit in a 45-mph zone or less might cause a traffic stop. 15 mph over the limit in faster zones would be good reason to see blue lights behind you. School zones and "targeted enforcement areas" might call for less tolerance; and going 77 or even 78 mph on a 65-mph Interstate would hardly merit a glance from county deputies. The state troopers who worked in our county would love to have chatted with you for that velocity, however.

Just keep a light foot on the go pedal and one eye on your speedometer every few minutes and you'll be okay. Most folks generally go 5 to 10 mph over the limit in light traffic conditions, so stay in the slower end of that camp and keep your fingers crossed! Just don't be the car in front or leading the pack.....LOL!
    Last edited by VA Dutch; 08-01-2010 at 03:40 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VA Dutch View Post

The law says that 1mph over is speeding. Of course, I know of no cop who will stop you or cite for 1mph.
    DPS will

FORUM STUD
    i say you can go over by 5 or so

FORUM STUD
    Quote Originally Posted by VA Dutch View Post

It varies by officer/deputy, department, shift, policy, attitude, traffic conditions, general "flow" of traffic, road design, time of day, etc., etc., etc. Just about every cop is going to give you a different answer.....and all of them will be correct for their beat or situation.

My general feeling was (and I have been a civilian for years now) that 12 mph over the limit in a 45-mph zone or less might cause a traffic stop. 15 mph over the limit in faster zones would be good reason to see blue lights behind you. School zones and "targeted enforcement areas" might call for less tolerance; and going 77 or even 78 mph on a 65-mph Interstate would hardly merit a glance from county deputies. The state troopers who worked in our county would love to have chatted with you for that velocity, however.

Just keep a light foot on the go pedal and one eye on your speedometer every few minutes and you'll be okay. Most folks generally go 5 to 10 mph over the limit in light traffic conditions, so stay in the slower end of that camp and keep your fingers crossed! Just don't be the car in front or leading the pack.....LOL!
    Come to where i live and there are 2 villages that will pull you over if you don't stay at 30

El Sombrero Grande
    71's speeding...69's impeding.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last