Forum Member

Retired Police Jobs?

Was curious to hear what type of jobs do retired police offers get into. For instance a friend of mine said you can make close to 6 figures working accident reconstruction for insurance companies. Also interested to hear about jobs that make you say "that sounds cool".

Rookie

Accident reconstruction
    Instructor for COG academies
    And we have a lot of motors/detectives that go back part time for a while.

Part-time ninja

Retired police jobs?? That's like having a donut with a slim fast for breakfast!! When I'm eligible to retire and financially sound, I'm doing just that; retiring!!! Be smart folks, put extra money away!!!!! Police retirement ain't gonna give ya a comfortable lifestyle.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamacop View Post
    Be smart folks, put extra money away!!!!! Police retirement ain't gonna give ya a comfortable lifestyle.
    Depends on where and who you worked for. I'm eXtremely comfortable.

Forum Member

I just did 20 years and retired from one police dept/pension and went to work for a University Police department.. unfortunately its in Philadelphia and MUCH busier than in my prior job but...Its an option. If you are sound enough money wise, look in to getting your PI license and work when and where you want. Still wanting to do that option but young kids and having to have health insurance aren't helping.
    Conduct every traffic stop extending the olive branch of peace; while having a tactical plan to kill everyone inside the vehicle

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NJSouth View Post
    I just did 20 years and retired from one police dept/pension and went to work for a University Police department.. unfortunately its in Philadelphia and MUCH busier than in my prior job but...Its an option. If you are sound enough money wise, look in to getting your PI license and work when and where you want. Still wanting to do that option but young kids and having to have health insurance aren't helping.
    We are lucky in NY, we get our medical when we leave. The city wishes we didn't and would like to take it away.

Forum Member
    Could look at Hospital District Police Departments, School District PD or Transit PD. The hospital pd officers in my city pay new hires in the mid 60's if they have experience. It's a pretty gravy gig. They get good salary increases and have good equipment.
    Last edited by Rush817; 07-24-2010 at 11:16 PM.
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

One Night In Bangkok
    Check out BNSF or Union Pacific railroad police. Damn good pay (starting in the upper 50's to 60k) and take home.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

It's Complicated
    Federal Court house /office building security.
    The company that contracts for most of the jobs in the county hires exclusively retired police officers................
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Go on, touch it...
    I've always heard BNSF is a 'buddy' position, gotta know someone. As far as accident reconstruction, gotta have that certification under your belt before you go to the insurance companies with that one and I'd venture to say most cops don't have that at retirement. I'm with iamacop, when I'm done, I'll be done and we have good retirement, it's a dual system and I'd make more in retirement than I did when I was working. If I could just get rid of my dang debt I'd be able to put far more away.

One Night In Bangkok
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD73 View Post
    I've always heard BNSF is a 'buddy' position, gotta know someone. As far as accident reconstruction, gotta have that certification under your belt before you go to the insurance companies with that one and I'd venture to say most cops don't have that at retirement. I'm with iamacop, when I'm done, I'll be done and we have good retirement, it's a dual system and I'd make more in retirement than I did when I was working. If I could just get rid of my dang debt I'd be able to put far more away.
    I dont know anyone at BNSF and have been interviewed several times (albet I was an Amtrak cop). IMO good if your looking to stay active and only need to do 10 years to be vested with RRB retirement.

Go on, touch it...
    My agency does not pay social security, that's why we have the TCDRS and AUL as our retirement ....at 6 years with the County I have about 30 grand in one retirement and a little over 20 grand with the other. I get vested at 8 years and I think at 52 I can retire.......our retirement is on a points system.

Go on, touch it...
    I believe we pay into medicare, but we don't pay SS, ours is one of the few counties that don't do that. I haven't seen one of my pay stubs for three months as Im still out on injured and they are piling up in my box at work.

Forum Member
    My agency doesn't pay into SS but if you retired with atleast 15 yrs then the city will pay for your medical until you die.
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

One Night In Bangkok
    Union Pacific railway is looking for a special agent in Ft. Worth