Forum Member

Riverside County Sheriff's Dept. Written Exam

Hi, sorry to post another Riverside County Sheriff's Dept. thread, but I was unable to find what I was looking for in previous threads.

I have taken the very odd written exam twice now, and both times I can not seem to get a high enough score to get the Deputy Position. I am in the background process for Correctional Deputy at the moment, however, my Background Investigator just informed me that even though I passed my Poly the department has moved the funds for Correctional Deputy to be used for the Deputy Sheriff Academy. So obviously i'm stuck until the county gives more money to the department for corrections, or I can retest for Deputy Sheriff at the end of next month ( I believe testing begins in Sept.).

So, since I have a third chance to qualify for the Deputy Sheriff position I wanted to find out how I could possibly pass the written. I have passed written exams at LASD, SDSD, and SDPD with no problem, but Riverside's test seems to get me everytime. I was hoping I could get help on what vocab I could study, if anyone has a good site, as well as any tips for the second part of the test.

Thanks in advanced

Forum Member

I have been through most of the process, just waiting for the hiring meeting this Thursday. I would get an SAT prep book or CD-ROM to study for the vocabulary portion. You can pick one up on E-bay or Amazon pretty cheap (less than $20). I'm sure they also have websites for SAT prep. For the second portion of the test, just remember to be consistent with your answers. The test is trying to get you to contradict yourself. It weeds out people who are trying to give the answer they think the employer wants, instead of just telling the truth about themselves.

Good luck with the 3rd try.

Forum Member

Thank you, i'll try and look up a website. Anyone have any good links to one?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRPD View Post
    If you want to gain a great vocabulary read some books, and put it to practice....that is the only way your vocabulary will improve is reading and talking to people. I hope this helps you....Good Luck, I hear good things about that department....hey offhand....what area did you want to work in Riverside?
    I live in Murrieta, so personally I would prefer to work close by, but I actually am not particular to any one area. I don't mind where i'm sent, though I do prefer that when I go to patrol that I am stationed in a fast station. Then again, I will be happy just to start my law enforcement career.

Forum Member

That's a negative on the top 10% going straight to patrol. They send you to where ever they need you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lakersfan0014 View Post
    That's a negative on the top 10% going straight to patrol. They send you to where ever they need you.
    They will send you were they need you, but according a Deputy who completed top 5% of his class about a year ago they will send you straight to patrol if they have the openings. At least that's what he said they were doing. However, that was before the hiring freeze.

By the way, has anyone heard of when the testing dates are? My 6 month period for retest is up as of today, but the website won't let me reapply it just gives me the "We have your information on file, thank you for your interest" page. Not sure if that means there is no testing at the moment or if I need to wait until tomorrow.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralONeil View Post
    They will send you were they need you, but according a Deputy who completed top 5% of his class about a year ago they will send you straight to patrol if they have the openings. At least that's what he said they were doing. However, that was before the hiring freeze.
    Still a negative, they'll send you were they need to send you, regardless of what percent you were.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JH164 View Post
    Still a negative, they'll send you were they need to send you, regardless of what percent you were.
    Interesting. I wonder why the Deputy told me the percentage stuff. I was always confused because all other departments do what you said and that's stick you where they need you. I'm happy anywhere as long as I get in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JH164 View Post
    +1 most of the new recruits when they do graduate will be going to work the jails.
    You Just Need To Wait a Bit Longer.
    In The End, It Doesn't Matter How Long It Took To Get There, Only That You Arrived.... Bob Dylan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRPD View Post
    Riverside PD uses there academy and said that if there recruits they send to this academy don't finish in the top 10% then they don't get hired....I'm guessing it is a pretty tough academy? anyone know?
    That's funny..

Relax, it's not that difficult. You went to basic training, right? You went through security forces training, right? You have a lot of time to get yourself in shape (shouldn't you already be?).

If you have a community college up there in Wy, get yourself enrolled in a law enforcement report writing class or just a regular English class. I took a few classes while I was in the hiring process. It helped get my mind out of military mode & ready for study mode. Between the two, it made things a whole lot easier.
    Last edited by velcrostripes; 08-31-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Forum Member

Do you now where they usually have the interviews at. Not really sure but I am thinking at ben clark training center

Forum Member
    Any feed back on RCSO, how is the morale? I know every place has its issues, but some have more than most.