Forum Member

How do I get rid of plantar fasciitis?

I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot. I've tried everything to get my foot to heal and it just doesn't seem to go away. I have a wrap that I put on every day that seems to help. I take an Aleve every 12 hours and I also wear a boot to bed. Somedays the pain is gone and then others I can't hardly walk.
    The reason I am asking is, in August I start my academy and we'll be running a mile and a half everyday and I'm worried my foot won't hold up.
    Any advice would be great. THANKS

Forum Member

Are you a fore-foot striker or a heel striker?

Forum Member

I used to sell orthotic supplies and orthopedic shoes, and would also make soft orthotics for patients in nursing homes and occupational therapy clinics. Get yourself to an orthotist who can make you something that will fit into a properly fitted running shoe so that the stress on your plantar fascia is relieved a bit when weight-bearing. Plantar fasciitis can usually be helped quite a bit if the transverse and longitudinal arches are properly supported and the shoe supports the heel properly to prevent it shifting around too much. By holding the arches up it prevents the foot from collapsing downwards, because it's that loss of the arch that stretches the plantar fascia and causes it to tear at the heelbone.

I'm not sure why you're wearing a boot to bed for this (not being a smart***, I'm curious if someone recommended this - been out of this for over 20 years), I usually saw people who said the pain was the worst when they stepped out of bed - because after being off their feet for 8 hrs or so, it would "heal" a bit and then be re-injured when they first stood up.

I used to recommend New Balance because they came in such a wide range of sizes and widths, and if you removed the original footbed there was plenty of room for the orthotic. There may be other shoes that fit the bill, I'd say go to a good running store and see what they recommend. They may also have advice on an orthotist who fits runners.

Good luck! There's an old saying that's very true: If your feet hurt, you hurt all over.
    Last edited by GoodWitness; 06-23-2010 at 10:56 AM.

Forum Member
    I took care of my plantar fasciitis by doing wall calf stretches. I would hold the stretch for 30-60 seconds.

One man Wolfpack
    Untuck the bottom of your bed if it is tucked in.

Get Vibram 5 fingers shoes.

These things worked for me.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

forum member
    Hard insoles by happy feet.

Or try the Graston Technique...look it up on the net.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member
    The boot I believe he was refering to was a padded slip on boot that keeps your foot at little over a 90 degree angle. So you sleep on all night long with your feet stretched. I had custom insoles made for my feet. That did help some but did not fix it. Finally the last result was a minor operation. They went in on the inside of the heel, cut the arch and when it heals scar tissue adds a little more to keep it from being over stretched. And after that I kept wearing my insoles and I was fixed. I delt with this for years and some days after baseball practice I could barely walk. Good luck.

Kansas
    I trust my life with J. M. Browning's design, the 1911.

Barefoot Ninja
    For starters, see a sports-medicine doctor. They are the ones that are going to get you back on your feet (pun intended). An orthopedist is OK, but a sports-medicine doctor is the best best.

Second, get one of these:

You can find them at most good running stores.

Third, wall stretches like Seventy2002 mentioned above.
    http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Gastrocnemius/Wall.html

Lastly, correct your running form and get a properly fitted pair of shoes. Odds are you're heel-striking. Since its your right foot, I'm guessing you might be running a crowned road surface causing your right heel to impact harder then your left. Work on developing a mid-foot strike.
    Quote Originally Posted by kontemplerande View Post
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.
    Strong is what's left when you've used up all your weak.

Forum Member

I have the same issue, and i am currently in the US Army. What the army did after 2 years of dealing with this issue was gave me some pretty well done shoe inserts for my work boots, then i went down to a local running store and got a nice pair of running shoes that are fitted to my feet. I can run all day now and the only time it hurts is when i am standing for extra long period of time or croutching down and putting all my weight on the balls of my feet. i hope this can kinda help, and GL in the acdemy i cant wait to get out so i can go through one.

SHU
    Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT936 View Post
    For starters, see a sports-medicine doctor. They are the ones that are going to get you back on your feet (pun intended). An orthopedist is OK, but a sports-medicine doctor is the best best.

Second, get one of these:

You can find them at most good running stores.

Third, wall stretches like Seventy2002 mentioned above.
    http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Gastrocnemius/Wall.html

Lastly, correct your running form and get a properly fitted pair of shoes. Odds are you're heel-striking. Since its your right foot, I'm guessing you might be running a crowned road surface causing your right heel to impact harder then your left. Work on developing a mid-foot strike.

The above picture is of strassburg socks. They are fantastic for PF and the best bang for your buck for preventing and getting rid of PF. You are likely running in the wrong shoes which caused the condition.

Forum Member
    +1

Here is a guide to the type of show you need.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/shoe-guide.html

Quote Originally Posted by SHU View Post
    The above picture is of strassburg socks. They are fantastic for PF and the best bang for your buck for preventing and getting rid of PF. You are likely running in the wrong shoes which caused the condition.

Forum Member
    I hurt mine running up and down a steep incline in my first basic SWAT training. Calf stretches, and boot/ shoe inserts helped, and after about a year, it is completely gone. Some folks get cortisone injections into the foot, but I am too big of a baby to even contemplate THAT.
    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
    Here is mine-
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/tblproducts/...1&_from=&_ipg=

Forum Member
    I've seen hundreds of people with this problem, and the fastest and surest solution is to get custom-made orthotic insoles and wear them all the time. The stretches and the night splints can also be helpful, but in my experience they only effect a cure in relatively mild cases. Cortisone injections are controversial -- they can relieve the pain but they also have the potential to weaken the plantar fascia, possibly leading to a rupture. I've almost never seen the orthotics fail when properly fitted and used. If your insurance doesn't cover them, prepare for some sticker shock. Mine are $300 per set and I replace them annually.