Forum Member

Red Light Camera Violation

Does that notice of violation go on your driving record (state, courthouse)?

FORMER U.S. MARINE (0311) five0686's Avatar
    No, they don't. But, if you don't pay them, the fine will be sent to an collections agency and may appear on your credit report.
    NEVER FORGET!!!

Also if it's a city you visit frequently (or live in, especially) expect to come out one day and find your car gone or booted if you don't pay it.

That said, no, its not a state uniform traffic citation you'll receive. There are no points assessed and no risk of losing your license.

It's basically a really expensive parking ticket that you'll receive. They do this because a UTC must be issued to the driver of a vehicle, whereas the owner of the vehicle is responsible for parking violations regardless of whether or not they were driving.
    Sheriff: We just take turns being the sheriff. It's real easy. You just hang out here, eat some pie, and get drunk.
    Peter Griffin: Wait. Hold on a second. "Pie," "drunk," "the?" You got yourself a sheriff!

Abolens Malefactorum OrlandoExp103's Avatar
    Red light cameras are actually run by Code Enforcement here, so you get a City Code violation. As above, no points, etc.
    When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

Armed Babysitter
    Just becareful, beginning July 1 red light violations will be permitted under state law, and there will be changes.

Once the violation is issued by an officer you have 30 days to pay. If the violation is not paid within 30 days a UTC (ticket) will be issued and mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle (like a toll violation). These violations will appear on your driving history. They are not "points" on your license and the statute specifically states that insurance companies can not raise your rates because of a photo enforced violation.

Yeah, just got the legal update from Tally in my email last night.

I still think the new law is absolutely absurd. If a family member is driving my car, I should in no way shape or form be held accountable for their driving actions. Thats on them. Further, I am under no obligation to incriminate a family member by way of saying "it wasn't me, it was my wife driving the car."

If the department issuing the ticket cannot meet their burden of proof my establishing that I was in fact behind the wheel at the time the infraction occurred, the UTC is unfounded. City fine? Sure. State traffic citation? I don't see how this will last very long. First good lawyer that gets one of these tickets placed on their actual driving record (which means they can appeal it to an actual traffic hearing officer or judge, not some appointed city "appeals officer," they are going to start getting thrown out.

Besides, more than anything else, I dislike the general idea of traffic enforcement cameras for one pure reason: no discretion. There are always going to be mitigating circumstances to any situation, and its one of the few saving graces of this job... every now and then a traffic violator just gets lucky and drives away with a warning. I don't like the idea of being replaced by a machine that has absolutely no human emotion or discretion and simply issued a ticket to every violator that passes by.
    Last edited by GatorPD; 06-23-2010 at 01:57 AM.
    Sheriff: We just take turns being the sheriff. It's real easy. You just hang out here, eat some pie, and get drunk.
    Peter Griffin: Wait. Hold on a second. "Pie," "drunk," "the?" You got yourself a sheriff!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorPD View Post
    Yeah, just got the legal update from Tally in my email last night.

I still think the new law is absolutely absurd. If a family member is driving my car, I should in no way shape or form be held accountable for their driving actions. Thats on them. Further, I am under no obligation to incriminate a family member by way of saying "it wasn't me, it was my wife driving the car."

If the department issuing the ticket cannot meet their burden of proof my establishing that I was in fact behind the wheel at the time the infraction occurred, the UTC is unfounded. City fine? Sure. State traffic citation? I don't see how this will last very long. First good lawyer that gets one of these tickets placed on their actual driving record (which means they can appeal it to an actual traffic hearing officer or judge, not some appointed city "appeals officer," they are going to start getting thrown out.

Besides, more than anything else, I dislike the general idea of traffic enforcement cameras for one pure reason: no discretion. There are always going to be mitigating circumstances to any situation, and its one of the few saving graces of this job... every now and then a traffic violator just gets lucky and drives away with a warning. I don't like the idea of being replaced by a machine that has absolutely no human emotion or discretion and simply issued a ticket to every violator that passes by.
    I agree 100%

Abolens Malefactorum OrlandoExp103's Avatar
    Here's a recent news story about the cameras in Orlando. (Video in the link)

According to the story, Orlando made $1.5 million off of one intersection's camera alone last year.
    When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

We recently got one in my jurisdiction (Southern NJ.) The preliminary #'s show that the TWP stands to clear approximately $1.4 million from 1 intersection. I am of the school that if the cop didn't see it, it didn't happen. Ours is $85, no points. Issued to the registered owner of the vehicle and if someone else is driving, you would have to bring them to court and have them accept responsibilty. Since ours is run through the courts, I am assuming that you could get your license suspended and face a warrant if you don't pay. It's still new, so time will tell.

Also, each violation is video and photos are reviewed by an officer and any questionable ones are rejected. The camera is extremely sensitive and issues for some that aren't really a violation per say.
    Last edited by stormz5192; 06-29-2010 at 01:23 AM.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

part of the problem is the cameras are run by private for-profit companies usually, as well.

I have heard horror stories of these companies cutting yellow-to-red times in half, etc, without the city even knowing it, so they can make more profit. Kinda defeats the purpose of increasing public safety.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorPD View Post
    part of the problem is the cameras are run by private for-profit companies usually, as well.

I have heard horror stories of these companies cutting yellow-to-red times in half, etc, without the city even knowing it, so they can make more profit. Kinda defeats the purpose of increasing public safety.
    We just had the state come down and certify that the light is timed correctly.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.