Sheepdog

Lancaster Officer, two suspects dead

Officer, two others killed in Lancaster shootout

LANCASTER — A Lancaster police officer and two civilians were killed in a shooting in the 900 block of River Bend Drive Sunday evening.

Lancaster Police Chief Keith Humphrey said the officer was answering a domestic disturbance call around 6 p.m. when there was an exchange of gunfire.

"I just heard lots of quick shots — you know, like, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, you know — that's all I heard," said River Bend apartments resident Pat Miles. "I jumped down on the floor."

A police officer was taken to a hospital for treatment and later died. "The investigation is ongoing," Chief Humphrey said.

No names were released.

Tiffany James said she witnessed the shooting.

"When I walked over here, I seen the lady, um, the people in the car dead, and I heard the officer say,'Ooh, I shot the wrong person,' and he busted out crying," James said. "When he busted out crying, another officer grabbed him and hugged him."

Dozens of officers from Lancaster, Red Oak and DeSoto were at the scene. Investigators from the Dallas County Sheriff's department were collecting evidence and taking notes.

The county medical examiner was at the scene.

The entrance to the River Bend apartments was blocked by a Dodge sedan now covered with a blue tarp and surrounded by crime scene tape. A person in that car was among the wounded.

There were also reports of a second vehicle located near the apartment's pool area which is also being investigated as a crime scene.

"I'll keep praying for both of them — the suspect's family and the officer's family," Miles said.

Chief Humphrey said the job of police is to preserve the peace and save lives. "It's very heartbreaking," he said. "We're a family. When you work with someone every day — you work with them 12 hours a day — your families know each other, so we hope for the best for our officer."
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Sheepdog
    word on the street is that one of the suspects was a son of a high ranking DPD officer...

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Sheepdog
    just confirmed on the news... Chief Brown's son is one of the dead suspects....

Forum Member
    This sounds miserable in every way. Prayers for all concerned!
    We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
    but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Forum Member

RIP Officer.

Forum Member

What is really sad is all the news media headlines are: "Son of Dallas police chief killed in Lancaster gunfire," they forgot to mention the Lancaster Officer....RIP brother.

the quiet one
    R.I.P. Officer

My thoughts also go out to Chief Brown and his family.

Bad situation all around.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Forum Member
    I heard through the grapevine, from someone who heard through the grapevine, that the Chief's son had an AK-47 and started the confrontation. I also heard that the Officer may have been killed y friendly fire. What a huge mess. I guess we will see at the 11:15 meeting tomorrow. RIP Lancaster Officer......

Forum Member
    requiescat in pace
    "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
    -Sun Tzu

Part-time ninja

We'll continue your shift, HERO! May God bless your family and your Department..

Go on, touch it...
    Another sad day............f'in A. RIP sir, thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the officer.

I hope to God it's not a friendly fire situation.

Tmg
    Forum Member

I have a bad feeling this is going to be a bad year.

May god rest the Officers soul.

Could this be the end of the new Dallas police chief's job if his son is the shooter?
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Forum Member

I can't imagine what this is doing to both depts.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmg View Post
    Could this be the end of the new Dallas police chief's job if his son is the shooter?
    Why would it be? His son is a full grown adult.

Tmg
    Forum Member

The way he raised his son is a big reflection on him.
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Go on, touch it...
    You know, I say the same thing as well, but I've also come to realize that as an adult, we are responsible for our own actions. If the Chief constantly used his position to bail his son out of trouble, the argument is there, but if he let him live his life as an adult, the son's decisions fall solely on the son. My mom raised me well, she raised me right so to speak, I had choices to make in what direction I wanted my life....they were my choices and mine alone and while I was a reflection of how she raised me, if I made the wrong choice, it was no longer a reflection on her but a reflection on my poor choices. Sounds like this kid lived a far different life than his family probably would have preferred.

Forum Member
    There are plenty of people that excel in their own lives but their children don't necessarily have the same success. A parent does not make choices for their grown, adult child anymore.

Forum Member
    RIP Brother Shaw. My prayers to family and the Lancaster Police Department....

Forum Member
    I agree. Being the chief of police in a major city means that even your family are expected to be upstanding citizens. I would never want to work for a department, knowing the Chief's son did something like that. RIP to the Lancaster officer and the innocent man that was just pulling into the apartment complex with his wife and children.

Forum Member
    I don't feel I have enough information to know if the son's actions reflect on his father or not. While it is very true that dysfunctional people can cause dysfunction in their kids, it is equally true that wise, good parents can raise children who prove to be disturbed and dysfunctional. If this is a case like the latter, then this Chief has been living with the loss of his son for a long time before this shooting happened, because he would have seen bad behavior and been trying unsuccessfully to deal with it.

I've seen too many good families grieved by the actions of their rogue children, and too many families that had reared both good and bad siblings.

God Bless Texas

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Keppy View Post
    I don't feel I have enough information to know if the son's actions reflect on his father or not. While it is very true that dysfunctional people can cause dysfunction in their kids, it is equally true that wise, good parents can raise children who prove to be disturbed and dysfunctional. If this is a case like the latter, then this Chief has been living with the loss of his son for a long time before this shooting happened, because he would have seen bad behavior and been trying unsuccessfully to deal with it.

I've seen too many good families grieved by the actions of their rogue children, and too many families that had reared both good and bad siblings.
    First, I would ask that out respect for Officer Shaw we take any discussion of Chief Brown to another thread.

Second, received this from Cedar Valley College Law Enforcement Academy. Officer Shaw graduated in Class 26.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster Police Department
    Lancaster, Texas – For the first time in the history of the Lancaster Police Department an officer has given the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty. The City of Lancaster, Texas has lost a dedicated and outstanding police officer in that of Craig Lamont Shaw.

Several programs have been scheduled to honor the life and service of Officer Shaw. The Lancaster Interdenominational Ministerial Alliance (LIMA) will be holding a Prayer Vigil for the community and Police Department on Wednesday, June 23, 2010; 9:00 a.m. at First United Methodist Church located at 201 S. Dallas Avenue.

A candlelight vigil will be held on Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 8:00 p.m. at the Lancaster Public Safety Facility located at 1650 North Dallas Avenue.

Visitation is scheduled for Friday, June 25, 2010; 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. and funeral service will be Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 11:00 a.m. The visitation and funeral service will be held at The Inspiring Body of Christ Church (IBOC) located at 7701 South Westmoreland Road, Dallas.

A trust fund has been established at Chase Bank and donations can be made to the Craig Shaw Trust Fund at any local branch. The Lancaster branch is located at 1522 Pleasant Run Road.

Please keep the Shaw and Lancaster Police Department family in your thoughts.
    # # #
    RIP Brother...
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Forum Member
    We will be remembering Officer Shaw at my church this Sunday, and praying for his family. May he rest in peace, and his family and colleagues find comfort.

Part-time ninja

You know what else sucks about this??? How the media is trying to stir the pot by questioning why Lancaster PD didn't arrest him earlier in the day. It is nice to see the Chief defending his officers, but he shouldn't even have to comment on something like that when he's dealing with the death of one of his officers. I actually thought the media was going to be halfway decent, but as usual, they just poured salt into the wound!
    Last edited by iamacop; 06-25-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Deleted a lot of curse words that would probably get me banned from O.com