Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: LaGrange MO officer shoots dog

GGG
    Forum Member

LaGrange MO officer shoots dog

I have no problem shooting an aggressive dog. I have a problem with this case from what I see. The officer spends a good deal of time on the phone beforehand. I wonder if a supervisor ordered him to put the dog down based on the initial report?

http://www.wgem.com/global/story.asp?s=12642564

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kJVn...layer_embedded

Here to learn

Why would someone point any kind of gun even a taser at something already contained yet another officer is in the line of fire? That didn't make sense to me.

And that dog didn't seem vicious. It didn't charge 1 time. If anything it tried to escape them the whole time. And that was kind of sad how it was wagging its tail after it got shot, and then got shot again. To me any vicious animal would be going after someone and barking. I bet this was a false report by a neighbor. But it is what it is and it's over. I don't know the whole story.
    Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Forum Member

If you live in LaGrange MO, you better walk your fence and test all of your gate latches.

Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 06-19-2010 at 10:30 PM.

perspicacious pedagogue

Thumbs down Can we say inhumane?

I'm not a dog person, but it broke my heart to see that dog's tail wagging [whether reflex or not] after being shot the first time.
    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Here to learn

Quote Originally Posted by exComptonCop View Post
    I'm not a dog person, but it broke my heart to see that dog's tail wagging [whether reflex or not] after being shot the first time.
    I looked it up and its the nervous system reacting. Still sad though because our perception of a dog wagging its tail usually means its happy or its showing loyalty/love.
    Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Everyones Favorite OC'er

wow... that did not seem to be the best way to handle that

Gopher Fan!

that did not seem to be the most humane way to put the dog down.

Forum Member

The video is a bit misleading.

Last edited by Smackzone116; 01-21-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Police Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackzone116 View Post
    As someone who knows both officer's involved, I can honestly say they were not happy with what occurred but felt it had to be done.

From the 6-7 minute video posted, you see only the parts the defendant wants you to see. The 2 neighbors who were attacked and 30 other minutes of video tell a different story, which is why the owner was found guilty in court for failing to contain a vicious animal.

The video was released to the owner prior to his trial because he chose to represent himelf.

The officer's had no pet taxi to load the animal in, no animal control to contact (anywhere in the county), and no less lethal options once it broke the chain it was tied up with. I'm sorry it had to happen, but I assure you it was the right choice.
    sounds good to me. There is always more to every INTERNET story...

Forum Member

From what I saw I'd TERMINATE the officer.

a vicious,charging dog is one thing. This is not. To shoot him twice is just inhumane and brings horrible bad, negative publicity to an agency. Nothing stirs up emotions quicker than officer shoots animal, especially if it is not vicious.

The owner can sue the Dept for not having animal come alongs or other appropriate means of control. It's like they never have animal calls.

I am the first to defend an officer, but when they do something that stupid there is no defense to that. On top of that the animal was contained.
    No reason for this to happen. Look for SEVERE disciplinary action. I guarantee it.

Patrullero
    Quote Originally Posted by btfp View Post
    From what I saw I'd TERMINATE the officer.

a vicious,charging dog is one thing. This is not. To shoot him twice is just inhumane and brings horrible bad, negative publicity to an agency. Nothing stirs up emotions quicker than officer shoots animal, especially if it is not vicious.

The owner can sue the Dept for not having animal come alongs or other appropriate means of control. It's like they never have animal calls.

I am the first to defend an officer, but when they do something that stupid there is no defense to that. On top of that the animal was contained.
    No reason for this to happen. Look for SEVERE disciplinary action. I guarantee it.
    Maybe you should look up two posts.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKansan View Post
    Maybe you should look up two posts.
    Beat me to it.... Nothing like folks running off at the mouth before getting the ENTIRE story....

Forum Member

...The officer's had no pet taxi to load the animal in, no animal control to contact (anywhere in the county), and no less lethal options once it broke the chain it was tied up with. I'm sorry it had to happen, but I assure you it was the right choice.
    Great additional information. You can't have a dog running around biting people in residential areas.

I do hope the county taxes are low, as not having one single animal control on-call contact (or at least an officer with some K9 experience) seems rather odd. This dog appeared rather personable, but I know budgets are being hacked everywhere.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
    I do hope the county taxes are low, as not having one single animal control on-call contact (or at least an officer with some K9 experience) seems rather odd..
    The City of La Grange, MO is in NE Missouri.... They have around 1000 people in the City. The County it is in (Lewis County) has a total of 10,000 residents.

No way in the world will they have animal control folks.....

Here to learn

So why do they not release the whole video to avoid public outcry and show what the cause of the situation is? I think that would only be helping themselfs out by doing so. Once the crazies from P.E.T.A see this, look out.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by FromOhio View Post
    So why do they not release the whole video to avoid public outcry and show what the cause of the situation is?
    Errr...because the Suspect/Suspect friends edited the original version that was released to them for the trial (Freedom of Info Act) .....and posted it....not the Police....
    Last edited by Bearcat357; 06-20-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member
    As someone who knows both officer's involved, I can honestly say they were not happy with what occurred but felt it had to be done.
    They both look like they're making a game out of it.

From the 6-7 minute video posted, you see only the parts the defendant wants you to see. The 2 neighbors who were attacked and 30 other minutes of video tell a different story, which is why the owner was found guilty in court for failing to contain a vicious animal.
    Citation needed and the rest of the video.

The officer's had no pet taxi to load the animal in, no animal control to contact (anywhere in the county), and no less lethal options once it broke the chain it was tied up with. I'm sorry it had to happen, but I assure you it was the right choice.
    There are several animal rescue groups. But from his point of view I suppose it's cheaper to spend a dollar on two rounds of +P+ than rack up the cell phone bill checking out who can take the dog.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianSolomon View Post
    Citation needed and the rest of the video.

A. You really think the PD is going to release another version of it...?

B. Further....this guy is a ****bag... A simple check of his background via Missouri Case net shows that he's some serious issues before.... I didn't see this case on there....but if the City isn't tied into Case Net, it will never show up if they charged him on City Charges (which they did).....

Quote Originally Posted by DamianSolomon View Post
    There are several animal rescue groups.
    And where would those be at...? Did you not read what I posted about the City of La Grange....?? They don't have that stuff there.....I am from the other side of the State and we barely have anything and we are quite a bit bigger than they are.....

Forum Member

It was not the right choice. Any Police Dept from a major metro area to a small village should have come alongs. Pole with an adjustable strap goes over the animals head/neck and you control the animal with it. If they do not have it, then I can see a nice lawsuit coming.
    This is basic equipment. Nothing expensive. 1 hour of training and that's it.
    I look at it as a supervisor would. I always assume I'm being recorded. Therefore if I make a decision I better make sure I'd have the least amount of flak over it. As a supervisor I now have negative publicity coming down to my dept.
    If it is negative cause the officer got aggressive with a gangbanger in front of their family, I'm backing the officer. Officer tazed you for getting smart and not placing your hands behind your back ( or on car) I'm backing the officer. That being said, there are time when the civilian is right. You read it correct. Sometimes both are wrong.
    Animals that are teased will snap. I don't care how friendly Fido is, don't believe me? try it. Now with that said, the animal was tied up. All you have to do is put the come along on him, untie him and bring him to the patrol car or put him in the taxi. No pet taxi? Can you say lawsuit? Failure to equip the officer.
    I was not there. I don't know how the animal got tied up if he was vicious. Wagging his tail? He wants attention. I have been jumped on by animals. I know when they are friendly, greeting me to see what's going on. There is a big difference in that vs charging to bite.
    Had this been charging and growling, then I'd say yes, if all else fails. This might be the wakeup call this dept. needs to hire an animal control officer. That stops this incident almost totally.

Molon Labe
    My agency shoots (on average) 2-3 dogs a week.......mostly pitbulls ect......

Issuing come-alongs?......yeah......try again.....we arent animal control.......

Lawsuit?....probably.....maybe the agency should countersue for allowing the animal to run amok......
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

perspicacious pedagogue

Game??

I didn't see anyone making a "game" out of this, as a matter of fact, the officer who dispatched the dog didn't look too pleased afterward. Clearly, he was acting on orders from a higher source.

I'm all for destroying vicious/feral animals, but a coup de grace to the head of a tied up animal still seems inhumane no matter how you slice it.
    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

GGG
    Forum Member
    Uhm, it was on the pole when the chain broke. The dog then lay down calmly whbefore it was shot. So if they had no place to put it, were they only getting the pole on it to get it to a better spot to shoot it?

I really am looking for valid reason for this, just not seeing it yet.

Operator
    It was not the right choice.
    Says you based on a edited tape...? Apparently the PD is backing the Officer and the dirtbag (and yes he is....his record is a mile long accoridng to Missouri Open Court stuff online....

Any Police Dept from a major metro area to a small village should have come alongs.
    Errr.....they had one.....

I can see a nice lawsuit coming.
    Either way ****bag was going to sue....happens all the time. And it will get tossed out.....

This is basic equipment.
    For Animal Control....Not LEOs........ I am surprised that they had one at all.....

I look at it as a supervisor would. As a supervisor I now have negative publicity coming down to my dept.
    As a former LEO Supervisor I would look at it as my guys not getting bit and going home at night..... Screw that dog....

No pet taxi? Can you say lawsuit? Failure to equip the officer.
    Once again, do you not get it...? There isn't a town that size in Rural Missouri that has a pet taxi and Animal Control. They can't afford it.... What do you want...? A Cop on the street or some Animal Control person doing 1-2 calls a week....if that...?? It's not going to happen..... Citizens would go nuts if they gave up a Cop for Animal Control...

I was not there.
    None of us were....but some of us are smart enough no to base views on a edited tape... Edited..? Yeap.....PD gave it to the dirtbag for his cour case....Dirtbag and buddies edited it and posted online.....so folks would cry and sob over them and they were hoping to get off... Didn't work other than getting a bunch of animals lovers upset..... and a few cops not using their noggins to think with.....

This might be the wakeup call this dept. needs to hire an animal control officer .
    Once again...never, ever happen. Not in a town of 1000 with a total county population of 10K or so.....
    Last edited by Bearcat357; 06-20-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by LA DEP View Post
    maybe the agency should countersue for allowing the animal to run amok......
    Neighbors that were terrorized earlier should....and would probably win since the dirtbag in question was convicted of said charges....

GGG
    Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    There is no justification for them to have that crap in a car....
    Yet they had one, right? By come along, I assume we are talking about the pole with the loop that the officer placed around the dogs neck. Why are you two arguing about why they did not have a piece of equipment that they apparently had?

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last