Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Impersonating a firefighter?

Macho Man

Impersonating a firefighter?

Is this actually a crime and does anyone do it? I mean it sounds like one, but I haven't heard of it being used.

-A-
    Forum Member
    Yes and yes.
    Many times when someone gets arrested for impersonation of a FF/first responder, they also get get charge with other crimes such as: possession of city/state property (they tend to steal gear from Fire Departments), illegal use of emergency vehicle lighting, possession of illegal weapons, etc...

Edit: I didn't realize this was ask a cop unto it was to late, but since I am a FF and this does answer the question, I will leave it be unless the black helo says otherwise.
    Last edited by -A-; 06-18-2010 at 12:42 AM.
    Semper Paratus/Always Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by jakflak View Post
    The bottom line: always be nice to the magic voice. All hail the magic voice!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    I have a 1 year old daughter and at this rate I'm almost certain I'm going to end up in prison by the time she's 15 years old. I swear, the first guy that that comes knocking on my door holding onto a naked photo of my daughter.....

Don't bother telling me, "oh it's her fault too".... I know, I have double standards. Deal with it.

: )

Go on, touch it...
    It would most likely fall under an Impersonating a Public Servant statute.

Don't Feed the Trolls
    Yes, its a felony in Florida. Its not generic public servant, we have a specific statute for it here.

Florida Statute 633.151 Impersonating State Fire Marshal, firefighters, or firesafety inspector; criminal penalties.

A person who falsely assumes or pretends to be the State Fire Marshal, an agent of the Division of State Fire Marshal, a firefighter as defined in s. 112.81, or a firesafety inspector and who acts as such to require a person to aid or assist him or her in any matter relating to the duties of the State Fire Marshal, an agent of the division, a firefighter, or a firesafety inspector is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in ss. 775.082 and 775.083 or, if the impersonation occurs during the commission of a separate felony by that person, is guilty of a felony of the first degree, punishable as provided in ss. 775.082 and 775.083.
    Sheriff: We just take turns being the sheriff. It's real easy. You just hang out here, eat some pie, and get drunk.
    Peter Griffin: Wait. Hold on a second. "Pie," "drunk," "the?" You got yourself a sheriff!

Macho Man

Oh wow.. do we have a lot of people impersonating a firefighter..? I mean.. who'd wanna do that?

victis honor
    Why yes we do. The entire Indianapolis Fire Department could fall in that category.

This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Equal Height Equal Light

double-postada
    Last edited by Chomp; 06-18-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Equal Height Equal Light

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor13 View Post
    Oh wow.. do we have a lot of people impersonating a firefighter..? I mean.. who'd wanna do that?
    Who wouldn't?

A cop gets assaulted and defends himself, he gets sued. Firemen show up, hose down the foundation, and they're heroes. Bastards.
    Empire02 likes this.

Forum Member
    It happened in my community, maybe 20 years ago, during a major fire with several agencies responding. A wannabe, wearing a chief's white helmet and turnout gear, showed up at the scene. Took a while to catch him, until everyone asked everyone else, "Who is that guy?" Can't recall if he was arrested and charged.

Forum Member

It all falls under impersonating a public servant in Texas. The law is written generically enough that you can charged for claiming to be any government official (real or not), but part of it is you have to attempt to enforce or restrict someone else with your assumed authority.

Forum Member
    There was a guy here in MD that was popped a few times for impersonating police officers. After doing a stint in jail for a sex offense, he decided to try the same thing with the fire department...loaded his vehicle up with lights and fire gear...and went responding to fires. Nobody on these scenes tended to notice (or at least say anything) for quite a while. Then one day during a rather large fire, he responded. The department he alledgedly worked at also responded. Somebody asked a question of the chief on scene and his scheme fell apart from there....and back to jail he went.

Forum Member
    IC 35-44-2-3
    Impersonation of a public servant
    Sec. 3. A person who falsely represents that the person is a public servant, with intent to mislead and induce another person to submit to false official authority or otherwise to act to the other person's detriment in reliance on the false representation, commits impersonation of a public servant, a Class A misdemeanor. However, a person who falsely represents that the person is:
    (1) a law enforcement officer; or
    (2) an agent or employee of the department of state revenue, and collects any property from another person;
    commits a Class D felony.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nefto View Post
    It all falls under impersonating a public servant in Texas. The law is written generically enough that you can charged for claiming to be any government official (real or not), but part of it is you have to attempt to enforce or restrict someone else with your assumed authority.
    +1. He can walk around in the attire all day and be legal. Until he actually tries to act like a FF or make someone submit to his pretend authority, that's when it becomes illegal.

Here to learn

Quote Originally Posted by BigTex44 View Post
    +1. He can walk around in the attire all day and be legal. Until he actually tries to act like a FF or make someone submit to his pretend authority, that's when it becomes illegal.
    But since he's in the uniform, people are going to think he is ''one of them'' and may react differently torwards him. How is that legal by any means?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FromOhio View Post
    But since he's in the uniform, people are going to think he is ''one of them'' and may react differently torwards him. How is that legal by any means?
    IDK, ask the legislators who wrote the law.

Sec. 37.11. IMPERSONATING PUBLIC SERVANT. (a) A person commits an offense if he:

(1) impersonates a public servant with intent to induce another to submit to his pretended official authority or to rely on his pretended official acts; or

(2) knowingly purports to exercise any function of a public servant or of a public office, including that of a judge and court, and the position or office through which he purports to exercise a function of a public servant or public office has no lawful existence under the constitution or laws of this state or of the United States.

(b) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree.

Don't Feed the Trolls
    Same in FL even for LEOs. Had a lady in I think Daytona Beach several years back, wearing like black BDUs and a green shirt with a star and big bold "DEPUTY SHERIFF" letters on the back. Was in a convenient store getting coffee, seen by a deputy who asked her if she was a deputy. She told him no, he arrested her for impersonation. She was convicted and appealed up to the state supreme court, which ruled that she took no action to cause anyone to believe she was a LEO.
    Sheriff: We just take turns being the sheriff. It's real easy. You just hang out here, eat some pie, and get drunk.
    Peter Griffin: Wait. Hold on a second. "Pie," "drunk," "the?" You got yourself a sheriff!

Forum Member
    Why would anyone demean themselves in such a manner?

10-33.
    Why would anyone demean themselves in such a manner?
    good question

Deputy Sheriff
    I am impersonating a firefighter right now. I am sitting in my lazy boy typing on the computer and watching my son play MLB 2K10 on his Wii.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Band-aid jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by pujolsfan146 View Post
    I am impersonating a firefighter right now. I am sitting in my lazy boy typing on the computer and watching my son play MLB 2K10 on his Wii.
    Dam, you beat me to it.

Forum Member
    I have been accused of impersonating a fireman due to the length of hose I carry....

It's a burden I have to live with.
    Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Macho Man

I was hoping someone would get it.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorPD View Post
    Same in FL even for LEOs. Had a lady in I think Daytona Beach several years back, wearing like black BDUs and a green shirt with a star and big bold "DEPUTY SHERIFF" letters on the back. Was in a convenient store getting coffee, seen by a deputy who asked her if she was a deputy. She told him no, he arrested her for impersonation. She was convicted and appealed up to the state supreme court, which ruled that she took no action to cause anyone to believe she was a LEO.
    We had some College mopes going into bars with those generic "Federal Agent" T-shirts on.... PA said as long as they weren't telling folks they were Feds.....and took no action....not a thing could be done under current law.....

Forum Member
    21°20'18.28"N---157°57'26.99"W = Aloha!
    Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by leesrt View Post
    21°20'18.28"N---157°57'26.99"W = Aloha!
    Aloha..... It's only 2310 here and I am watching TV on the big screen and enjoying some "Liquid Aloha"....

Page 1 of 2 12 Last