Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Concealed carry within DC?

Forum Member

Concealed carry within DC?

Plan to drop into DC while on the way up to Maine next month with my daughter. Not really expecting to make a long ordeal of it, but may drop in and tour a few places. Not planning on touring the White House (if they even allow that anymore), but anywhere else where concealed carry will be an issue? Seems standard procotol is to identify yourself to security / leo at the given location, just curious if there are any locations where they won't allow us to carry so I can avoid them all together.

Forum Member
    if your not on official business, DC is not a concealed carry "district", even for LEO's. Unless you are federal, or MPD. Now is that enforced..no. Just tell security before hand...then sign the log book of the museums you go to.
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; may God rebuke him, we humbly pray and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

Forum Member

Negative

Quote Originally Posted by cnublue18 View Post
    if your not on official business, DC is not a concealed carry "district", even for LEO's. Unless you are federal, or MPD. Now is that enforced..no. Just tell security before hand...then sign the log book of the museums you go to.

Negative.

If you are covered under H.R. 218 you are good to go except for the Capitol building, White house, and some others which will make you lock up your weapon all the other museums will make you sign a log book and thats it after showing your ID. Have fun in the city.
    Last edited by IRONWORKER; 06-15-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: spelling

I sure hope that you do not work in DC. I have traveled there several times on business and on my own time. H.R. 218 as already stated covers myself and any other off-duty LEO while in the "District". What do you think happens during Police Week?
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

What?? Errr... DC falls under 218 and allows folks to carry around the entire city. I've carried there as a Local plenty of times to include during Police Week. US Cap, WH, and some Federal Buildings will not allow. Museums will allow as long as you have badge/ID/Creds.... There might be 1-2 that will let you lock up instead of carry while the rest will let you carry inside. If I had an issue, I always asked for a Supervisor and that was that.....

Forum Member
    im sorry guys..I am wrong. Its something I really dont deal with so I must of mispoke. you are not allowed in the Capitol. Its a Capitol Hill regulation, not DC code. Obviously you can come in the Capitol armed if your on business, we have places to lock it up at our HQ.
    Last edited by cnublue18; 06-15-2010 at 11:42 PM.
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; may God rebuke him, we humbly pray and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the clarification. I don't expect to visit any of the listed no carry places so hopefully no issues. For those few museums which may not allow it, do they usually have means on site to secure it?

Quote Originally Posted by Airforcop View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I don't expect to visit any of the listed no carry places so hopefully no issues. For those few museums which may not allow it, do they usually have means on site to secure it?
    They will let you lock it up if they don't want you to carry in. With that in mind, I have never, ever been denied access when carrying. Always ask for a supervisor...show them your badge/id/creds....and you will be fine.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    What?? Errr... DC falls under 218 and allows folks to carry around the entire city. I've carried there as a Local plenty of times to include during Police Week. US Cap, WH, and some Federal Buildings will not allow. Museums will allow as long as you have badge/ID/Creds.... There might be 1-2 that will let you lock up instead of carry while the rest will let you carry inside. If I had an issue, I always asked for a Supervisor and that was that.....
    CNUBLUE18 is Correct.
    Although HR 218 allows fed's to carry concealed across state lines, it does't allow for law enforcement officers to carry concealed in any State where citizen's are strictly prohibited from possession of concealed firearms on their property/person. DC doesn't have a concealed carry law, it just started to issue out permit for shotguns.

Sec. 926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law enforcement officers

`(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).

`(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that--

`(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or

`(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.

HR 218 Sec926b states that HR 218 can't be used to supersede or limit the laws of any State. In this instance, DC.

Forum Member
    Now, that doesn't mean everyone enforces the law on the books. Most officer's who work in DC, understand you are visiting, and usually we make provisions and don't make it an issue. Act professionally, show you're cred's and you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trascall View Post
    CNUBLUE18 is Correct.
    Although HR 218 allows fed's to carry concealed across state lines, it does't allow for law enforcement officers to carry concealed in any State where citizen's are strictly prohibited from possession of concealed firearms on their property/person. DC doesn't have a concealed carry law, it just started to issue out permit for shotguns.

Sec. 926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law enforcement officers

`(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).

`(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that--

`(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or

`(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.

HR 218 Sec926b states that HR 218 can't be used to supersede or limit the laws of any State. In this instance, DC.
    I don't think you're intrepreting that incorrectly. An off-duty out of state cop is not carrying their weapon as a regualr citizen. They are carrying it as a "Qualified LEO" under HR 218. The only way they would not be permitted to carry is if the state specifically barred LEO's from carrying off-duty.

HR 218 doesn't apply to Feds. I can carry off duty anywhere in the country under federal statute. If a state passes a law not allowing LEO's to carry off-duty, I still do not have to respect that law. Federal statute overrides all state laws.
    Last edited by Cyber_Saint; 06-15-2010 at 11:47 PM.

Law Enforcement Safety Act of 2004

By Craig E. Ferrell Jr., Deputy Director and Administrative General Counsel, Houston Police Department, Houston, Texas

Law enforcement groups have been battling various concealed handgun carry laws for over a decade now and it appears the public and politicians have overwhelmingly decided in a majority of states that concealed handgun laws are a good thing. That, coupled with the fact that more than 35 states now have concealed handgun laws that allow their private citizens to carry concealed handguns, made it only a matter of time before the Law Enforcement Safety Act would pass and allow police officers and honorably retired police officers to carry their firearms nationwide. On July 7, 2004, the Senate voted to pass H.B. 218 the National Concealed Carry for Cops legislation that was passed by the House on June 23, 2004. On July 22, 2004, President George W. Bush signed into law what is officially entitled the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004. This law allows qualified active (on- or off-duty) and honorably retired law enforcement officers to carry their firearms concealed nationwide.

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/m...ssue_id=102004

Forum Member
    Now, that doesn't mean everyone enforces the law on the books. Most officer's who work in DC, understand you are visiting, and usually we make provisions and don't make it an issue. Act professionally, show you're cred's and you will be fine.
    agreed..I have been told by supervisors when I asked for clarification, "no they are not allowed to carry. but we don't enforce." Im not saying they are correct. a credentialed leo is always good in my book and Im sure all the others in dc will hold that standard. its never been something I would enforce, or have been pushed to enforce. as far as police week goes Ive been there for 3 now, dont think that needs to be explained.

airforcop just enjoy yourself in dc. no one will give you a problem.

agreed..I have been told by supervisors when I asked for clarification, "no they are not allowed to carry. but we don't enforce." Im not saying they are correct. a credentialed leo is always good in my book and Im sure all the others in dc will hold that standard. its never been something I would enforce, or have been pushed to enforce. as far as police week goes Ive been there for 3 now, dont think that needs to be explained.

airforcop just enjoy yourself in dc. no one will give you a problem.

where do you work and what dumbass told you that?
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

The Capitol and associated buildings has several lock box locations and its not an issue at all to come in and have it locked up...in and out very easy with creds
    Just shut your damn hole

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller View Post
    where do you work and what dumbass told you that?
    I believe he works for you'all....

As long as you are a qualified LEO under title 18 926 you can carry a concealed weapon on your Police /LEO Department photo identification anywhere except; any fed/state or local OWNED building or land (Parks) that prohibit firearms, or private establishments that prohibit firearms....or if you are under-- alcohol/drugs, under investigation by ur dept, not mentally stable.
    You can travel state to state on the roads.
    Remember if your firearm is concealed and you walk into a kwiki mart and there is a sign that prohibits firearms, and for some strange reason they know you have one, all the employees can do is request that you leave. NOTHING ELSE. You must comply otherwise another law will kick in such as unlawful entry or trespass or something like that only because you have refused to leave. Not because you are carrying a firearm
    live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Forum Member
    Will current state laws still restrict or continue to prohibit officers from
    carrying firearms legally within a particular state?

The new Federal law exempts qualified off-duty police officers from the application of
    state law. For example, a qualified off-duty officer is allowed to carry a concealed
    weapon in a public area but must follow the regulations imposed at federal buildings,
    schools, airports, etc.

Does this mean all states have to change their carry laws to reflect the
    new federal law?

State laws are not required to change. This is a new Federal law that exempts qualified
    active and retired law enforcement officers from local and State prohibitions on the
    carrying of concealed firearms.

Will an officer be able to carry in a state like New York or D.C. which
    have strict licensing requirements?

Yes. However, this law shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State
    that permits private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed
    firearms
    on their property or prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State
    or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.

http://www.njspba.com/Documents/FAQ.Right2Carry.pdf

I think I threw everything for a loop when I suggested DC is a non CC district, making it fall under the same regs Capitol Hill does. Which is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    I believe he works for you'all....
    well that explains it then and sadly I'm not surprised someone higher up is giving bad info.
    Just shut your damn hole

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller View Post
    well that explains it then and sadly I'm not surprised someone higher up is giving bad info.
    Remind me to hit your place the next time I am in town.....I could use a couple hundred from a law suit......

Forum Member
    FYI. Just because HR218 allows LEO's to carry, doesn't mean your department will allow you to carry across state lines. For ex. I believe, PG County isn't allowed to carry into DC off duty. So check with your department. If you are a FED, then you shouldn't have any problems. If you're state/local, just double check with mgt. You would hate for the Dept. not to back you if something happened.

Forum Member
    I know I'm covered there. My agency is probably one of the few out there that still mandates that we carry off-duty. Our general orders state we WILL, not can, carry off duty with exception of when we anticapte consuming alcohol or participating in sports.

Forum Member
    FYI. Just because HR218 allows LEO's to carry, doesn't mean your department will allow you to carry across state lines. For ex. I believe, PG County isn't allowed to carry into DC off duty. So check with your department. If you are a FED, then you shouldn't have any problems. If you're state/local, just double check with mgt. You would hate for the Dept. not to back you if something happened.
    Are you sure it's they are not allowed to carry in general or just their duty weapon? Baltimore City did not allow us to carry our duty weapon out of state for the reason of the difficulty of getting that weapon back if it were used in a shooting. But, they allowed us to carry our personally own firearms across state lines. Just wondering if PG might be that same way?

I understand what you are saying with the being covered. But, if you HAD to use it, wondering if my agency backs me up will not be the first thought. I'd rather not be backed up and alive then not alive and having my agency have my back! Just a thought. It is still legal to do so either way.

But, as others have said, no problem carrying in D.C. I've gone in quite a few times and have visited many places and never a problem.

Forum Member
    About a year ago our agency changed policy not allowing us to take our duty weapon out of the state also. I don't think it had anything to do with getting it back after a shooting. If I recall, I think someone went on a flight, checking it in their baggage, and either their bag got lost or the gun got stolen, woops, lol.

Forum Member
    I know for a FACT that P.G. Officers carry their duty weapon in DC, because a PG Officer who lives in DC was involved in an off duty shooting not too long ago. So unless they changed the rules after that incident, they can and do carry in DC.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast