Thread: Tampa PD

Forum Member

Tampa PD

I am currently an LEO in a major east coast city. I'm looking at relocating to FL and looking into applying to Tampa PD. Can anyone give me some scoop on TPD and also the Tampa area in general? Some pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

I'm pretty sure Tampa PD is in a big hiring freeze. I believe Hillsborough Sheriff's is hiring, and the surrounding cities like St. Pete, Pinellas Park, clearwater are hiring.

Forum Member

Steer clear of SPPD, according to TPD's website they are accepting apps until further notice. Like previous user, other agencies are hiring. USFPD, Temple Terrace PD as well. Not HUGE agencies but until something else opens up not bad gigs at all.

USMC-6322 Comm/Nav Tech
    Oorah!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 813Deputy2b View Post
    Steer clear of SPPD....
    Why?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bearsfan86 View Post
    Why?
    I would like to know why also?

Forum Member

Whether I did a ride along with an agency, whether I got pulled over by an agency for speeding, spoke to some random person from another agency. I have been told they are NOT supported by the city there at all. They cannot make hardly any arrests, they cannot be pro active. They say that people use to go there and then try to get transferred to places like HCSO and TPD. Well not anymore, from brass down to patrol I have been told that hey put so many things in your jacket you won't find another agency that will hire you. It's simply terrible over there, the mayor of the city isn't supportive either, all in all just a bad place to be a cop. Now am I a cop? No. Have I spoken to multiple officers from SPPD? No just 2, but I have spoken to countless officers/deputies from the Tampa bay area and these are the experiences they have told me about with other officers, and even friends that were there and were stuck to say that least. Just search st pete p.d. on these forums, and you will find much more detailed info why to stay away. Now PCSO, totally different story, GREAT agency to work for.

USMC-6322 Comm/Nav Tech
    Oorah!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 813Deputy2b View Post
    Whether I did a ride along with an agency, whether I got pulled over by an agency for speeding, spoke to some random person from another agency. I have been told they are NOT supported by the city there at all. They cannot make hardly any arrests, they cannot be pro active. They say that people use to go there and then try to get transferred to places like HCSO and TPD. Well not anymore, from brass down to patrol I have been told that hey put so many things in your jacket you won't find another agency that will hire you. It's simply terrible over there, the mayor of the city isn't supportive either, all in all just a bad place to be a cop. Now am I a cop? No. Have I spoken to multiple officers from SPPD? No just 2, but I have spoken to countless officers/deputies from the Tampa bay area and these are the experiences they have told me about with other officers, and even friends that were there and were stuck to say that least. Just search st pete p.d. on these forums, and you will find much more detailed info why to stay away. Now PCSO, totally different story, GREAT agency to work for.

Wow

Forum Member
    TPD is set to hire a class of 18 in July (they've already been selected) and hired a class of 28 back in January. Starting October 1 with the new fiscal year, 20 officer positions will be eliminated through attrition. Although nobody is going to be losing their job, I think that it's safe to say the hiring is finished for the year. TPD is an older department and we have a lot of officers in DROP who can retire whenever they want or are otherwise eligible for retirement, so there will be hiring again in 2011.

Forum Member

Does Tampa accept out of state leos?

I second that on St. Pete, I have never heard a good thing about the department. I was looking at applying there a couple years ago...