Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Best Defensive .45 ACP ammunition

Tried searching for it, but my search fu is weak. If this is already covered, then please point me in the right direction. I just bought a Springer Loaded and would be using this as my primary HD weapon. I was wondering what I should stock up on for home defense. I was looking at Hornady TAP and noticed that it is +P ammunition. It is ok to use this in my handgun right? Its in 10 day jail right now so I havent had a chance to look at the manual, but Im assuming +P is ok in the Loaded. Let me know what you folks are trusting in your weapon. Thanks!

Forum Member

I like this stuff, which looks to be nothing more than the Evil Black Talon from yrs gone by, that has been re-branded with a friendlier name.

http://www.winchester.com/PRODUCTS/N...nded-PDX1.aspx

There are enough products out there that I doubt you could make a bad choice.

Forum Member
    1. Don't assume anything about your gun. If SA doesn't have manuals online, wait until you get yours to check the manual. You may void your warranty or screw up your gun if the chamber isn't designed for +P.

2. In SoCal, I doubt you really need +P ammo.

3. I carry 230 grains of Federal HST-flavored a-hole repellent in my Kimber.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Forum Member

230 grain .45 non +p is a very good round to begin with. TAP is good ammo, so is gold dot and golden sabre and federal hst in most calibers. even fmj is good in .45acp. I'd run whichever one you choose through your new springer and make sure that the gun likes your choice of ammo.

btw, nice choice of firearm.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    1. Don't assume anything about your gun. If SA doesn't have manuals online, wait until you get yours to check the manual. You may void your warranty or screw up your gun if the chamber isn't designed for +P.

2. In SoCal, I doubt you really need +P ammo.

3. I carry 230 grains of Federal HST-flavored a-hole repellent in my Kimber.
    Good advice. Looks like ill try out a few brands and see which my SA prefers. Is there a break in period for handguns? This is my first so Im not sure of the proper procedures. All I know is that my BCM AR's break in procedure is a few hundred rounds downrange and Im gtg . And how would you determine which round would be reliable in your HD weapon. Should I buy a couple boxes of each and see which feeds the best and gives me the best groups? Or should I be testing out more than just 50 rounds to have faith in a certain HD ammo brand? Sorry for the barrage of questions, Im a handgun newb.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jak77 View Post
    Good advice. Looks like ill try out a few brands and see which my SA prefers. Is there a break in period for handguns? This is my first so Im not sure of the proper procedures. All I know is that my BCM AR's break in procedure is a few hundred rounds downrange and Im gtg . And how would you determine which round would be reliable in your HD weapon. Should I buy a couple boxes of each and see which feeds the best and gives me the best groups? Or should I be testing out more than just 50 rounds to have faith in a certain HD ammo brand? Sorry for the barrage of questions, Im a handgun newb.
    Minimum of 500 rounds to break in a brand new 1911. After that, you can take it to a gunsmith and have them give it a good once-over to make sure everything looks good.

Hollow-points should (in a perfect world) go at least 100 rounds without any malfunctions in your gun to deem them "reliable".
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Forum Member

If you decide to go with this magazine and your gun does not work right, don't be real quick to blame it on the gun.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=564303

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Hineline View Post
    If you decide to go with this magazine and your gun does not work right, don't be real quick to blame it on the gun.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=564303
    hahaha wow. Too bad Im in commiefornia so I wouldnt even be allowed to have that. That is ridiculous though.

The 500 rounds for break in dont have to be hollowpoint correct? I was looking for some cheap .45 acp ammo and stumbled upon this brand on a few sites. http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...oducts_id/4565 Anyone heard of this or tried it out. Dont think its the best but for break in and plinking it should be okay right? Or should I just buy a case of pmc bronze for about 50 bucks more?

Forum Member
    The 500 rounds for break in dont have to be hollowpoint correct?
    That's correct.

Or should I just buy a case of pmc bronze for about 50 bucks more?
    I shoot PMC Bronze almost exclusively through my personal pistols. I personally would prefer you shoot that instead of an ammo I've never even heard of before.
    NRA Life Member

I ♥ my GLOCK
    Tula Ammo, is like low quality Wolf Ammo. I shoot wolf through my AK, and not much else. I don't think I'd put 500 rnds of this crap through a brand new 1911. This stuff is probably corrosive as hell.

Forum Member

yea I think Ill stick with PMC bronze, it says non corrosive for the Tula Ammo, but its probably still dirty as hell. Its also steel cased, any problems with steel case in 1911s?

Forum Member

I prefer either the speer gold dot or winchester ranger. We are issued the Winchester Ranger and I've never had an issue with it from either my Glock 30sf or my Glock 21sf

Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    I have been pleased with the performance of the Federal Hydrashok in .45ACP. It was our duty round for quite some time. We now use the 230gr Federal HST +P in our Glocks. It's accurate and definitely recoils with more authority than the Hydrashok. I ran some through my 1911 Commander, but didn't like the way it shot. The thicker grip and polymer frame of the Glock seems to mitigate the recoil a bit and I have no problem shooting it rapidly during qual. In the 1911 the recoil was bordering on uncomfortable due to the "speed bump" on my grip safety. I choose to stick with the Hydrashok in the 1911 until I can't get it anymore.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Forum Member
    With our Southwest weather, I've never felt the need for +P ammo in my .45. There just isn't enough clothing to extra "ooph" to get the bullet where it needs to go. It would be interesting to see how it shoots in my gun, though. However, I have a full-size, not a Commander/mid-size model. That's green apples to red apples.
    NRA Life Member

Forum Member
    i Like Winchester Ammo.. FMJ Will Work..

Forum Member

FMJ will give maximum penetration with the most reliability. The problem is finding top quality FMJ rounds designed for defense (900fps, low flash powder, nickel cases). Federal makes a gold medal match but I can never find it. I trade off and use golden sabers.

Forum Member

When you guys train with your go to pistol, are you using the same ammo you would use for HD? Or do you determine reliability of a certain HD round and then train and practice with cheaper ammo? It seems to me that if I practiced and trained with quality hollow-points I wouldn't get much training in because the cost would be way too high.

Forum Member
    Once your defensive rounds have proven themselves reliable, switch back to ball ammo of the same weight. I.e. don't carry 230 grain hollowpoints and train with 185 grain or +p ammo. Unless that's all you can get a hold of.
    NRA Life Member

Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    I carry 230gr JPH and train with 230gr FMJ

Anyone who tells you to carry FMJ as a defensive round hasn't done much research on the matter OR seen many folks who have been shot by FMJ. Many heavy .45ACP JHP rounds will penetrate enough to reach the boiler room even when fired cross-body through an arm (worst case scenario). It's the expansion and the ability to move a great deal of tissue that makes the .45 shine. Don't cripple it with a FMJ round.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Civillian
    Check for FMJs at Wal mart for some practice ammo.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
    I carry 230gr JPH and train with 230gr FMJ

Anyone who tells you to carry FMJ as a defensive round hasn't done much research on the matter OR seen many folks who have been shot by FMJ. Many heavy .45ACP JHP rounds will penetrate enough to reach the boiler room even when fired cross-body through an arm (worst case scenario). It's the expansion and the ability to move a great deal of tissue that makes the .45 shine. Don't cripple it with a FMJ round.
    i Respectfully Disagree That FMJ is Not Good Enough as a Defensive Round.. (Even Though i See You Were a Marine)

Forum Member
    FMJ is better than poking your suspect with a stick, but JHP rounds like HST and Hydrashock do wonders for the slow-moving 230 grain rounds.
    NRA Life Member

Forum Member
    The Springfield Loadeds are rated for +P if you really feel the urge.

I like the Hydrashocks, and my Loaded likes them, too. Gold Dots were also pretty good.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neverwas.. View Post
    i Respectfully Disagree That FMJ is Not Good Enough as a Defensive Round.. (Even Though i See You Were a Marine)
    And your argument on why you disagree is...?

Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    Please don't use the "been killing our country's enemies for years" argument. I have seen case reports from scores killed by .22 and .32 handguns. Because it CAN doesn't mean it always will or that it's a good idea to go that route.

FMJ is used by our armed forces because of the Hague Convention. NOT because they are more effective.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last