Reporting a Wreckless Driver

A few days a week, I get a ride home from my neighbor, who is easily, the worst driver I have ever seen. She is reckless, dangerous, she speeds, runs lights, cuts people off, has gotten into at least one accident that I know of, (I was not with her), texts, talks on the phone, reads books, eats, while driving, swerves, etc. The list goes on. She forced a car off the road a few weeks ago when the entrance onto the highway merged.

Not once have I feared for my life, until I stepped into this woman's car. And it's not like this was a few times, it's every time I ride with her.

Is there a way to report her, (while I'm not in the car with her), to report her car/license plate to local police?

Any advice on this would be very helpful. I'm only looking out for her, her kids that ride with us too, my sister, myself, and other drivers on the road.

Thanks.
    -?

Quote Originally Posted by ?uesto View Post
    A few days a week, I get a ride home from my neighbor, who is easily, the worst driver I have ever seen. She is reckless, dangerous, she speeds, runs lights, cuts people off, has gotten into at least one accident that I know of, (I was not with her), texts, talks on the phone, reads books, eats, while driving, swerves, etc. The list goes on. She forced a car off the road a few weeks ago when the entrance onto the highway merged.

Not once have I feared for my life, until I stepped into this woman's car. And it's not like this was a few times, it's every time I ride with her.

Is there a way to report her, (while I'm not in the car with her), to report her car/license plate to local police?

Any advice on this would be very helpful. I'm only looking out for her, her kids that ride with us too, my sister, myself, and other drivers on the road.

Thanks.
    -?
    Short answer, no. Not really.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

It's not going to do any good to call the local PD and tell them the vehicle info along with the story that the driver is horrible and "reckless." If you're actually witnessing the reckless driving on the road, then call and report it. There's no PD out there that has officers available to go sit somewhere and wait for her to get in the car and drive recklessly. I'm sure the second she sees the marked police car, she's the best driver in the world. Her actions will eventually catch up with her. Hopefully no one is injured when it happens, but it's unlikely if she drives as you describe.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

If she drives that bad, why do you continue to ride with her?
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
    it" - Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScott31 View Post
    It's not going to do any good to call the local PD and tell them the vehicle info along with the story that the driver is horrible and "reckless." If you're actually witnessing the reckless driving on the road, then call and report it. There's no PD out there that has officers available to go sit somewhere and wait for her to get in the car and drive recklessly. I'm sure the second she sees the marked police car, she's the best driver in the world. Her actions will eventually catch up with her. Hopefully no one is injured when it happens, but it's unlikely if she drives as you describe.
    Well if I could call while driving with her, I would, but she probably wouldn't take to kindly to me calling the police to report her, while in the car with her. Is there any other anonymous way of doing it? This may seem a little extreme, but if anyone has seen her drive, you would certainly agree with the course of action I'm choosing to take.

I'm contemplating getting a cheap pen-camera off eBay to record her habits and driving [in]ability. I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't think she was a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by sp23 View Post
    If she drives that bad, why do you continue to ride with her?
    I have no other way of getting home Mondays and Tuesdays. My dad works, my step-mom works, and I'm out of the bus zone. Walking is also out the question.

Thanks.
    -?
    So.. she's nice enough to give you a ride and you are going to pay her back by reporting her? Also there are other ways to travel: bus, bike..... heck.. you could hoof it.... even a cab......

Well if I could call while driving with her, I would, but she probably wouldn't take to kindly to me calling the police to report her, while in the car with her. Is there any other anonymous way of doing it? This may seem a little extreme, but if anyone has seen her drive, you would certainly agree with the course of action I'm choosing to take.

I'm contemplating getting a cheap pen-camera off eBay to record her habits and driving [in]ability. I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't think she was a threat.
    Ummmm if she's a threat why do you keep driving with her?

Btw, after dealing with too many CA drivers I think more wreckless drivers on the road is a good thing It's those that wreck that worry me

As long as she's wreckless, which I guess translates to without wrecks, who cares. If she gets reckless, let us know.
    Last edited by cgh6366; 05-10-2010 at 10:51 PM.
    "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!

Quote Originally Posted by SaRDep View Post
    So.. she's nice enough to give you a ride and you are going to pay her back by reporting her? Also there are other ways to travel: bus, bike..... heck.. you could hoof it.... even a cab......
    A public bus could work. I live on the other side of the county, (I go to a vocational school, so they take kids from all over the county). Biking and walking is way too far. I know it's a bit lazy of me, but after a full day of school plus P.E., I'm not all enthusiastic about walking. I should probably change this attitude though...

And I'm appreciative about her giving me a ride, but to be fair, we drive her daughter to school, and we live next door. It's not an excuse to be a jerk, but if she's breaking the law, putting her kids, others' kids, and other drivers at risk, then she deserves it. Whether she drives me home from school or wipes my butt or pays my bills.

Quote Originally Posted by SaRDep View Post
    Btw, after dealing with too many CA drivers I think more wreckless drivers on the road is a good thing It's those that wreck that worry me
    I don't know how the stats go, but I'm 95% sure that Florida has the worst drivers on the road, mostly because of all the old people, (especially around me), and because we allow for driver's licenses and permits a year or two years younger than most other states. So form the young and reckless to the old and not-so-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh6366 View Post
    As long as she's wreckless, which I guress translates to without wrecks, who cares. If she gets reckless, let us know.
    I'm sure it's not the first typo you guys have seen on here. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

I don't know-I was in a pursuit with a vehicle a few years ago and the backseat passenger called 911 during the pursuit to tell them about the driver not stopping for us. If that guy called 911 to report being in a pursuit, you could probably call to report her reckless driving.
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
    it" - Thucydides

I'm not saying I can't do it. I just don't want her to know that I reported her. I would have wanted it to be anonymous or seemingly, spur-of-the-moment.

I read the title of the thread and thought you were wanting to let insurance companies know about good drivers. A bicycle would be an excellent decision for you, it builds dedication. As for your friend, she'll get caught left up to her own devices.

Let it go. Stop riding with her if you are that worried.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Thanks.
    -?

Why in the world do you get in the car with her.

Salty Dog
    I'm not saying I can't do it. I just don't want her to know that I reported her. I would have wanted it to be anonymous or seemingly, spur-of-the-moment.
    You're not too young to learn that if you are going to report someone to the police, have the guts to put your name on the complaint. It's just cowardly to make an anonymous complaint.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

nom de plume
    True goal of traffic enforcment is to get people to comply. Do you think if she gets a ticket she will improve as a driver ? Probably not at all. She will just blame the fat cop who was picked on in school. Why not grow some balls and help her out. Print off some data about wrecks, danger, and safety. Several websites have pamplets and printout for citizens. Sign her email account up for safety memos. Send her links to YouTube safety videos. Or grow some balls and when you witness such dangerous things ask nicely why she is doing it? Is t worth the risk both health and legal?

But if you lack courage and want a cop to intervine see if text message to 911 is an option. Or text a buddy with all the details and have him call 911. Tag, vehicle color, make, model, road on, direction of travel, destination loacation.

Finally seat belt and aflack.
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

I'm contemplating getting a cheap pen-camera off eBay to record her habits and driving [in]ability.
    what do you think recording her is going to accomplish? nobody is going to ticket her based off of a video.

even if you get a call in to 911 about her driving there would need to be an officer who is not on a call in the area. realize most places arent going to run lights and siren to catch up to a reckless driver call, and all you are going to accomplish is loosing your ride to school.

Draggin this one out of the hole it was buried in... If it's still a concern, videotape her driving antics and present her with the CD/Tape. The men and ladies in Blue / Green / Brown / Black have way too many things on their respective plates to wait on one moron doing something stupid. Most of them have more than enough stupid folks close by where ever they already are.