Forum Member

What if I Run Over A Skateboarder

No...not intentionally. But here's the situation:

I was coming home from work today. Waiting to turn left onto my street. I saw a kid--about 12 or so--standing on the sidewalk to my left, holding his skateboard. The sidewalk behind him goes uphill away from my position, and the house on that corner has a large boulder in the median that blocks a view of part of it. I've attached a diagram below.

Anyway, the kid holding the skateboard was standing still and not looking at me. So I pulled through and onto my street.

JUST as I got OUT of the intersection and was still straightening out, saw a second skater, on his belly on his skateboard, STREAK past and straight through the intersection without stopping. Hauling BUTT, completely unable to stop.

Had he been 2-3 seconds earlier, he'd have been under my rear wheels. If I'd sat still, he'd have hit my car while I wasn't moving. But I couldn't see him because of the boulder, his buddy, and the fact that he was lying on his belly.

Soooo....if that had happened, and the kid had been hurt, would it have been my fault?

If I tell you what I know, I'd have to kill you. Fortunately, I don't know much.

Barefoot Ninja
    You get a medal from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by kontemplerande View Post
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.
    Strong is what's left when you've used up all your weak.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT936 View Post
    You get a medal from me.
    Hahahahahahaha. They aren't the nicest kids in the neighborhood, but they aren't the worst, either.
    If I tell you what I know, I'd have to kill you. Fortunately, I don't know much.

Barefoot Ninja
    To answer your question seriously, around here, the kid would be at fault and would be cited for Sudden Pedestrian Movement into Traffic. I could probably make a Play Vehicles operating on Roadway cite stick too.
    Quote Originally Posted by kontemplerande View Post
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.
    Strong is what's left when you've used up all your weak.

Forum Member
    Interesting. Thanks for the input.

Forum Member

You'd get the ticket... A FREE TICKET TO DISNEYLAND! I kid I kid... but seriously... don't run over small children it's bad mojo.

L-1
    Forum Member
    For every skateboarder you hit, you get to paint one of these on the front fender of your car.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Forum Member
    You must have about had a heart attack when you saw that second kid streak through! And if the first kid was being the second kid's safety net, he sure didn't do a very good job of blocking traffic, did he?

Glad everyone's okay!

Resident Misanthrope
    You should probably keep an emergency spatula in your vehicle. If you happen to run over a skateboarder, EMS will appreciate being able to use it to scrape the skateboarder up.
    Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Forum Member

Don't forget to call the Highway Department out to put sand on the resulting "greasy spot" that will be left over.

Seriously, I had a carload of "boarders" show up in my town about 2am one morning. They weren't even from my jurisdiction and they actually thought they were going to use the bank parking lot to play around on. Naturally, they were proven wrong. The gall of some people.

Forum Member

Under the circumstances, not your fault. Had contact been made, the following Box Score would have been posted:

Motor Vehicles 1

Skate Borders 0

Forum Member
    Man, and I thought _I_ had a morbid sense of humor!

Yeah, Chaplain, I just about pooped my seat, but I think the kid was even more scared. His eyes were like saucers.

Thanks for all the input, and all the chuckles!

Cynical curmudgeon
    Skateboarding is not a crime,
    Running one over may be
    "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!