Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by off_kimball View Post
    Does anyone on here currently work for HCSO? If so, my question to you is when do they plan to start hiring certified guys again?

The word on the street is we aren't hiring certified for a long time. We hired a bunch from another agency when they got laid off. In less than a year we lost half of them because the other agency hired them back. It left a bad taste in the command staffs mouth and our agency wasted a lot of money on them.

Forum Member

Im just wondering if anyone on this list has been through the 2 week boot camp prior to the Academy? What was it like and how demanding is it? I'm still waiting on my application, I know their is someone assigned to me who said theyre focusing first on the street deputys, then they'll get to corrections which is what I applied for. I also was told from a friend, that they had fired some people in the recruiting dept. so they're are shorthanded. Which would explain any delays or not hearing back from anyone. All I know is that I am still in the process which is good.
    Last edited by TBbuccaneer40; 06-19-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Forum Member
    For what it's worth I looked into HCSO. There is a 2 wk. SOT first off, your there in house during the week, and weekends off. You'll do the academy at HCC Ybor campus(Paid), and a state exam. Before you get there their selection process is really tough (Tons of applicants), so they can be picky.. The process can be long and drawn, but if it's what you want then it's a great choice. I ultimately went self-pay, and that's the better way; for me at least.. Stay safe.

Forum Member
    How long do you think it will take you to get employed by an agency - less than a year after completion???
    *good news is you have 4 years before it expires*

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdpd09 View Post
    How long do you think it will take you to get employed by an agency - less than a year after completion???
    *good news is you have 4 years before it expires*
    Just remember the four years clock starts on day 1 of your academy.

Forum Member

not to go too off topic, but one thing I cannot understand is their policy on tobacco use. I have to wait 6 months to apply after smoking 1 cigar...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TBbuccaneer40 View Post
    Im just wondering if anyone on this list has been through the 2 week boot camp prior to the Academy? What was it like and how demanding is it? I'm still waiting on my application, I know their is someone assigned to me who said theyre focusing first on the street deputys, then they'll get to corrections which is what I applied for. I also was told from a friend, that they had fired some people in the recruiting dept. so they're are shorthanded. Which would explain any delays or not hearing back from anyone. All I know is that I am still in the process which is good.
    I can tell you that a co-worker of mine dropped out his first week of SOT, and served 5 years in the Army. He tells us that he realized he wanted to do something else, and not law enforcement, but frankly I thought that was complete BS, and know that about 3 or 4 others dropped out in a class of 25 or so. It is not easy by any means, both physically and mentally, and they have your arse for two solid weeks (can't go home and take your mind off of it, you stay overnight). A lot of PT 'til you drop.

Page 2 of 2 First 12