Verified LEO

SOCOM 16 (Springfield M1A) For Sale

Hey guys, I have a great condition used SOCOM 16 for sale. Comes with original box, all papers, 3 20 round magazines. The gun has the picany rail on the top. Pictures on request. Low round count. Asking for $1200, retails for close to $1600.

F2F in North Texas or 50 mile radius, will ship to FFL, buyer pays all costs.

If you have questions drop me an email... OfcHargis@charter.net
    Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Forum Member

I'll take it.

I'll take it. See in-bound email.

Molon Labe
    Is this a CA legal Socom?......no flash hider (muzzle comp instead) and no bayonet lug?
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member

Socom 16

Not wanting to start flame war or anything....

According to Springfield Armory website, "This rifle has the minimum length barrel for a rifle under federal law. It has a proprietary muzzle brake."

According to CA DOJ, an assualt weapon has specific identified items.

CA PC 12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
    (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
    (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    (B) A thumbhole stock.
    (C) A folding or telescoping stock.
    (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    (E) A flash suppressor.
    (F) A forward pistol grip.
    (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
    (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

Calguns.net has a very good flow chart in identifing what is an assualt weapon, http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf. ( I know, calguns is not an official website).

Short answer, a muzzle break is ok, a flash hider is verbotten. A bayonet lug is a non-issue. 20 round magazine imported/purchased by a LEO= ok. So, this rifle should be good-to-go.

Stay safe out there.

Forum Member

Did you sell it?

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by scarney View Post
    Not wanting to start flame war or anything....

According to Springfield Armory website, "This rifle has the minimum length barrel for a rifle under federal law. It has a proprietary muzzle brake."

According to CA DOJ, an assualt weapon has specific identified items.

CA PC 12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
    (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
    (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    (B) A thumbhole stock.
    (C) A folding or telescoping stock.
    (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    (E) A flash suppressor.
    (F) A forward pistol grip.
    (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
    (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

Calguns.net has a very good flow chart in identifing what is an assualt weapon, http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf. ( I know, calguns is not an official website).

Short answer, a muzzle break is ok, a flash hider is verbotten. A bayonet lug is a non-issue. 20 round magazine imported/purchased by a LEO= ok. So, this rifle should be good-to-go.

Stay safe out there.
    That is correct.....

The reason I asked is that Springfield makes two versions of the M1A family........a 'CA legal' version that has the muzzle brake/comp and does NOT have a bayonet lug....and one for everywhere else that does have the lug, and a flash hider.....I was under the impression that they also made two versions of the SoCom as well.......guess not.....

Shall we start the bidding war then?
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member

I learned something.....

I did send him an email and pm saying I would take it, but have not recieved a response yet. No bidding war, or any other war wanted (I get enough grief from wife). If you beat me to the purchase, then congrads on the purchase. If he does accept my offer to purchase, and if this is one of those "forbidden" socoms, I guess it will stay out of CA, and become an early Christmas gift to my Dad, when he picks it up F-T-F.

And no, I did not know that springfield made a socom 16 with anything other than a muzzle break. So, I learned something. I have always enjoyed reading your posts, I always learn something.

Stay safe out there.

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by scarney View Post
    I did send him an email and pm saying I would take it, but have not recieved a response yet. No bidding war, or any other war wanted (I get enough grief from wife). If you beat me to the purchase, then congrads on the purchase. If he does accept my offer to purchase, and if this is one of those "forbidden" socoms, I guess it will stay out of CA, and become an early Christmas gift to my Dad, when he picks it up F-T-F.

And no, I did not know that springfield made a socom 16 with anything other than a muzzle break. So, I learned something. I have always enjoyed reading your posts, I always learn something.

Stay safe out there.
    Nah....no bidding war....just busting your chops.....although, if you do not end up taking it, I call 'dibs'......

From looking at their site, I DONT think they make two versions of the Socom, like they do the M1A family.....

If it has the muzzle break/comp and not a flash hider, it is good to go.....

Forum Member

If the deal does fall through on my end, I will pm you.

I do hope the buyer responds, I sent him a copy of my FFL. (No, I'm not looking to resell it either).

Verified LEO
    SPF to scarney/// sorry about the delay on the update, I got slammed with a couple big cases last week
    Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.