Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 ... LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: NYC Special Officer Exam # 0149 or 0990 4/24/10

Newly Full-time Fuzz
    Considered it. Flew to NYC to take it, got an awesome list number - 17x - and then wasnt able to flu bak in time for an interview. So I get a letter saying I WAS dqD. Honeslty, in hind sight, its for the best. I know they are city and state peace officers, and handle calls near the schools, but use of force with kids is a whole new world, and its very, very easy to get fired and sued when dealing with them.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTaSOONERfan View Post
    Considered it. Flew to NYC to take it, got an awesome list number - 17x - and then wasnt able to flu bak in time for an interview. So I get a letter saying I WAS dqD. Honeslty, in hind sight, its for the best. I know they are city and state peace officers, and handle calls near the schools, but use of force with kids is a whole new world, and its very, very easy to get fired and sued when dealing with them.
    You certainly hit that nail on the head with that one!
    I worked in DJJ for a while in another state and while the crimes some of these kids commit are very adult the handling of them is very different than it is in Dept of Corrections.
    Adding insult to injury, it feels like your walking on egg shells the entire time and the kids know it. If there is even a hint of you doing something despite no proof you can expect to be investigated thoroughly and possibly disciplined so the Dept can save face. While I never ran into any problems I saw enough fellow officers who did however it was much better when I went to DOC IMO.
    Speaking of which has anyone taken the NYC DOC exam and are they going to lift the freeze on that anytime soon?
    “You tell ‘em I’m coming … and hell’s coming with me, you hear? HELL’S COMING WITH ME!” -- (Wyatt Earp)“
    "Your friends might get me in a rush, but not before I make your head into a canoe, you understand me?" -- (Wyatt Earp)

Forum Member
    And the waiting game continues lol

Newly Full-time Fuzz
    Yup yupwe all love waiting.

Forum Member
    Everyone,

I have kind of been keeping up with the conversation. My list number was in the teens, Score- 100% plus selective certification for having a CDL. Anyway, I got my Investigation packet a few weeks ago, my interview for investigation is tomorrow at 10am.

I am also on some other lists, dont know how some of you guys listed them because I am new to this site, but I will list them here. If anyone has any info on other exams I have taken, I would appreciate it because this is the first list that I have been called for.

Thanks!

Special Officer List # 1X
    NYC Train Operator List# 7X
    NYPD List # X
    Corrections List # 1X
    NY State Corrections exam taken 10/16/10
    US Border Patrol Score 95%
    NY Environmental Police Score 95%
    Taking NY Motor Vehicle Operator in December 2010
    Taking Suffolk County PD in June 2011

Newly Full-time Fuzz
    Bragging is rather unbecoming, to say nothing of unprofessional. Especially when an officer who may back you up one day is one without your vaunted score. Something to think about

I definitely think he was bragging. I mean come on why would you post all your scores on a board based on only 1 job. & have you ever heard of google ? it's easy to find the latest news on your exams nowadays. You also didn't even list your exam numbers which is alot more important then your grade and list number. Anyway and the wait continues =).

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JRams16 View Post
    I definitely think he was bragging. I mean come on why would you post all your scores on a board based on only 1 job.
    "I am also on some other lists, dont know how some of you guys listed them because I am new to this site, but I will list them here. If anyone has any info on other exams I have taken, I would appreciate it because this is the first list that I have been called for."

Anyway, maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. They're impressive scores. I'm jealous. We all have different strengths lol. Move on. Do we really need drama here ><

Forum Member
    Easy guys lol,

Most likely he will end up in the Dept of health or DEP CBRNE.

Newly Full-time Fuzz
    And while the rest of us do our damnedest to be good cops, he will never answer a call for service, never be ILOD. C'est la vie.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the support guys. The only reason I posted the list numbers was because I have seen other guys post them, I definitely was not bragging. The only reason I posted anything on this site was to let you guys know that I did get called, so those of you who are waiting would know that they are starting to call people from the list. I didnt mean any harm, was just trying to help people out. And for JRams - I didnt put my list #'s because you can easily compare a few lists to the numbers I provided and figure out who the person is.

Forum Member
    And just in case you want to look, go to page 1 of this thread, and you can see other people who have posted their list numbers and/or scores.

Forum Member
    Good luck to you kid, let us know how the interview goes and what to expect, i hope it hasn't changed from when I was a special officer.

Newly Full-time Fuzz
    For those who posted list numbers in the hundreds, yeah thats just being informative. Flaunting a number with only two digits is exactly that, flaunting. Rubbing our noses in your awesomeness. Taking a test well does not make one a good cop, the same as college degrees. Heart makes the cop.

Forum Member
    SthBklyn16, I got my interview next week, keep us informed so we can all keep track of whats going on, thanks

Forum Member
    So, SOONER, you're basically saying its ok to post your scores and/or list numbers as long as you don't do well enough to make someone feel bad about their score? Im sorry if I insulted you somehow by listing my scores. And you're absolutely right about test scores not making a good cop. However, self-confidence is one trait everyone should want and expect in an officer. My scores are good, I am definitely proud of them, and even if I was "flaunting" my scores it shouldnt bother you. Personally, I wouldnt be upset with the guy who is number 1 on the list if he posted it on here. I would probably realize that I might someday be working alongside him and would actually be happy for the guy. If the rest of the guys disagree with me, I apologize. But I really dont think I did anything that should bother anyone.

Ryanpax - What exactly does a special officer need a CDL for? Would I be driving a passenger van? If so, I may remove myself from selective certification. I dont want to be a bus driver, know what I mean?

Rangerkid - When you go to the interview, have copies of everything for them. It will make the investigator's life easy and he/she will appreciate it. On the last page of the packet you received there is a checklist that the investigator will use to identify everything you need. I used that as a list for myself when getting everything together. The interview I went to was just to get the investigation started. When you walk in, check in with the receptionist. She will ask for your drivers license and the packet. Then someone will fingerprint you. Some people got sent for ink prints but I was taken to another room with the electronic print scanner. I dont know if that is only for people applying for peace officer status or what, but everyone else I saw did it the old fashioned way. Then you will meet with your investigator. Basically they will take all your info, go over your packet, and let you know if they need anything else. (I, for example, need another proof of NYC residency) My investigator called me yesterday afternoon to remind me to send her what I need to, she seems like she actually cares about her job. If you are a NYC resident you will know that most government employees around here dont care about you or their job, so this was nice to see. I know this is more than you needed, but I just wanted to let you know so youre comfortable going in.

Best of luck to you all.

Newly Full-time Fuzz
    I have a rather horrible retort that will come across as mean spirited so I will relish typing it then select it and delete it in the hopes such pettiness can be forgotten.

Do I think that you posted your higher and holier score here to annoy, aggravate, and otherwise insult the rest of us? Yes! I am refraining from delving into it further out of respect for the reality that as stated, I might actually run into you some day. God forbid, on a call. A test is far from a marker of an officers abilities, and I say that as someone who for the past five years has been a sworn leo.

Forum Member
    think what you want... good luck.

Newly Full-time Fuzz
    lol indeed. excellent display of comradeship there Stealth. Very cop-like of you. /sarcasm

Forum Member
    Alright alright everyone let's all take a step back, take a deep breath and exhale!

Last I checked "NO ONE" has any of these positions yet.
    "NO ONE" knows how many prospects will be called.
    Most everyone here has some sort of anxiety about whether or not they will be called, but arguing like this is not productive.

Not that you have to explain yourself "SthBklyn16" but if you say you wasn't boasting or bragging fine, then personally I take your word for it and we move on from there. I think we all should for that matter.

This site is for both officers and future officers leaning on one another for advice, help and other issues regarding law enforcement.
    It isn't for conducting petty squabbles about who is bragging and who isn't.

SthBklyn16 just don't forget to let us know how the process is going and what positions they have requiring a CDL's since I am in the process of getting mines also.
    See if you can find out about things like fully sworn positions and if they are allowing them to carry off duty or will they allow it in the future.
    Last edited by OfcrTom; 11-13-2010 at 03:23 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    “You tell ‘em I’m coming … and hell’s coming with me, you hear? HELL’S COMING WITH ME!” -- (Wyatt Earp)“
    "Your friends might get me in a rush, but not before I make your head into a canoe, you understand me?" -- (Wyatt Earp)

numbers are everything Nx1544315's Avatar
    interview was straight forward. the investigator would go over your paperwork, make corrections ( if any ) and make copies of certain documents. i was told to call back in two to three weeks to check up on my status. she also told me there was a hiring freeze, not too surprised really. i didn't get a chance to ask her any questions as everyone from office personnel to candidates were waiting for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Nx1544315 View Post
    interview was straight forward. the investigator would go over your paperwork, make corrections ( if any ) and make copies of certain documents. i was told to call back in two to three weeks to check up on my status. she also told me there was a hiring freeze, not too surprised really. i didn't get a chance to ask her any questions as everyone from office personnel to candidates were waiting for her.
    Hiring freeze ? WHAT THE HELL ? That just doesn't sound right.

numbers are everything Nx1544315's Avatar
    Great to hear from more than one source. stilltwo, did your investigator tell you when the next step is?

Forum Member
    I asked the investigator that I handed my paperwork to when do you think we will be hired. He said probably april/may....He said they are going to first go through a bunch of people on the list which would make another list of qualified candidates which they would hire from. Hopefully it happens sooner than later...

Forum Member
    yesterday i went in for my investigation and fingerprinting, i was wondering what type of convictions would hinder some one from obtaining employment.

Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 ... LastLast