Forum Member

Inmate Doctor visits

Hey everyone I tried to search for this with no avail. I'm looking for some legal info on the fact that a deputy needs to and can be in the examanation room while they have there appt. This is on the county leval so if theres a better fit let me know. This question came up and I thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks in advance and stay safe out there!!

Fear my Laser Face
    Not sure on legal standing, but from a common sense standing. Id stay with the medical staff for their own safety.

It's Complicated
    Let me put it this way.

Inmate does not in any way, shape, or form leave my sight while outside the secure confines of my facility. Ever. For ANY reason.

I am legally responsible for the safety of the general public as well as the safety of the inmate in my care. He ain't going NOPLACE without me. Not only is the county/state responsible for the medical needs of the inmate, but they are responsible for his/her actions while in our custody.

Over the years I have put on plenty of lead aprons so I could be in sight of an inmate being X-rayed, gowned up numerous time and accompanied an inmate into the surgery suite so I was there until he went under anesthetic, and watched countless inmates get fingers shoved up their bum during medical exams.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

The question was about doctor patiant confidantly. I was wondering if there is something written that includes this situation, and why this is legal to do that. I agree that it is common sense for the safety and security of the Dr. office staff but also of the jail.

Forum Member

Iowa I agree and am not disputing that! I gotta say You have seen some S**t!

It's Complicated
    It is part of the we have the inmate in custody. As prisoners, they are wards of the court for the time being, if they want to see a doctor, we stay.

Legally ----------you would need to talk to your County Attorney or the state Attorney General for a legal opinion.

HIPPA laws are not nearly as stringent as people want to think. There are many waivers and exclusions to the rule-------------HIPPA in loose terms only states that the DR or medical provider can not disseminate any information to outsiders. The inmate can (and if he wants to see a doctor ----well must)---waive any confidentiality

Sure some idiot might want to press the point, but when push comes to shove ------------they will see it our way.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

Thanks Iowa, I appricate the response. that should help.

It's Complicated
    HIPPA also deals with insurance companies............forgot about that one

Forum Member
    From my understanding a C/O would only violate HIPPA if he talked about the inmates conditions to others not involved.

Iowa’s right you shouldn’t have much of a problem for the most part.

I had a smart *** college kid/Dr tell me that it was the right of the inmate to know the date of the appointment after explaining to the all-knowing doc he saw the light.

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty_scs View Post
    I had a smart *** college kid/Dr tell me that it was the right of the inmate to know the date of the appointment after explaining to the all-knowing doc he saw the light.
    When that happens------------and it does somewhat frequently..........we return to the institution and our health services calls to cancel the appointment.
    We then make a new one.

Forum Member

Concerning HIPPA law and security. Security stays paramount in our agency, but anything heard within the office while with the inmate could be construed as confidential. While in our facility, medical information for the most part is considered confidential except for where our security is concerned. That means we are not privy to information concerning inmate medical history.

Paco has your back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    Let me put it this way.

Inmate does not in any way, shape, or form leave my sight while outside the secure confines of my facility. Ever. For ANY reason.

I am legally responsible for the safety of the general public as well as the safety of the inmate in my care. He ain't going NOPLACE without me. Not only is the county/state responsible for the medical needs of the inmate, but they are responsible for his/her actions while in our custody.

Over the years I have put on plenty of lead aprons so I could be in sight of an inmate being X-rayed, gowned up numerous time and accompanied an inmate into the surgery suite so I was there until he went under anesthetic, and watched countless inmates get fingers shoved up their bum during medical exams.
    +1. I always keep my fingers crossed that the i/m doesn't have to go poo poo while we are out, cause we will have to go in with him.