Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Forum Member

Neighbor is speeding down street.

Where my parent's live, an annoying neighbor is speeding down the street very often. I asked them how fast, they say he/she was going 90, but I have yet to see that with my own eyes. They tried to catch it on the security camera out side house, but the camera can't see a car going as fast as he/she does.

If I get my HD camera to catch it, can we do anything with it? The rest of the neighbors on the street have told that person to stop, but they still continue. Also the other neighbors are afraid to let their kids out now.

Any suggestions? I don't want to confront them myself, they sound like crazy people from what my parents have told me.

forum member
    Call their local agency...non emergency number of course and advise them of this ongoing problem.

Make sure, he/she is home so they can make contact with him/her. The best thing is for them to be caught in the act. But why wait until some kid gets mowed down.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Resident Misanthrope
    Well, a friend of mine had a similar problem. He got a manikin and dressed it all up in jeans and a t-shirt, and stood it out by his mailbox. He was hiding behind the bushes and when the individual came racing by, he shoved the manikin out in front of the individual's vehicle. Apparently, there were some fried brakes, some freaking out, and a lot of anger, but according to my friend, it solved the problem beautifully.
    Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by deputy x 2 View Post
    Call their local agency...non emergency number of course and advise them of this ongoing problem.

Make sure, he/she is home so they can make contact with him/her. The best thing is for them to be caught in the act. But why wait until some kid gets mowed down.
    I think someone else has called officials before. My parents said they are still speeding down the street.

I'm taking it, that a video of the speeder can't do anything eh?

Civillian
    throw a whole bunch of tacks on the street...

the only thing a video may do is actually get the department to give you a few extra patrols... and that's only if they have the manpower

does the department have a dedicated traffic unit?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCSD Frank View Post
    Well, a friend of mine had a similar problem. He got a manikin and dressed it all up in jeans and a t-shirt, and stood it out by his mailbox. He was hiding behind the bushes and when the individual came racing by, he shoved the manikin out in front of the individual's vehicle. Apparently, there were some fried brakes, some freaking out, and a lot of anger, but according to my friend, it solved the problem beautifully.

ROFL. That is hilarious, but probably not a good idea down this street as it is narrow and he could crash into something.
    Last edited by cenitus; 03-24-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Forum Member

Funny I had this exact call today. All I can do is hope to catch them one day if I stake the neighborhood out. Also if you get the plate and vehicle info we have traffic complaints you can fill out. Then I can track down the vehicle and talk to the driver. But they'd have to basically confess to something to get a citation. You could hope that being tracked down over your poor driving would encourage you to improve it.

Also the last couple vehicles that I tracked down the occupants had felony warrants. I think they're worth finding when you can.

Forum Member
    You could contact your local planning department about installing traffic calming measures. But the sh*t part is you might wind up having to drive over dang speed bumps everyday.

My pops was shoveling snow one day and a car came through the wrong way on a one way and splashed him with slush. We lived on a weird street where there was another street that paralleled it about 10 feet over so he walked over the to the parallel street with a snow shovel of slush and waited for the car to double back and slung it onto the windshield. It think he got the message.
    Last edited by Citizen85; 03-25-2010 at 12:21 AM.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

— John Stuart Mill

Resident Misanthrope
    I wonder if a potato cannon could be rigged up to fire remotely... Watch from inside your house, and when Speed Racer comes burning up the road, FIRE!! (Eh.. Not that I would ever, under any circumstances whatsoever, advocate such a thing!)

Forum Member
    Spike Strips!

Forum Member

Buy a radar gun, get certified. Video yourself using the gun catching him speeding etc. and go get a warrant.

I would keep a log noting all the dates/times this action takes place. I would then make a trip to the local station and politely ask if an officer could be made avaiable at the times this is most likely to occur. A video of the offender may help with the visual speed reference. Many people will swear "he was going 110mph"!! When in fact it was 15-20 over the limit. The video will help keep it real.

Forum Member
    Talk to the local police first.

If they simply cannot help you, you know where he lives. Does he park on the street? Can't speed on a flat tire. Don't damage it, just let the air out. He's endangering your life. Until this individual leans that there will be consequences, he will keep speeding until he kills someone.

If he buys an air pump and keeps speeding, well, can't fix stupid.
    **Not a LEO**

Infantryman
    Throw a HUGE speed bump in the street. Next time he comes down, he'll go flying!

Resident Misanthrope
    Once upon a time, I lived in Army housing. Our houses were arranged around a common grassy area in a horseshoe configuration, with parking spots at the curb, on the street. Every night, one of my neighbors would come home at 0200, after being out all night whoring, stereo blasting, bass thumping at window-rattling levels, and then stumble into his house and proceed to have screaming fights with his ol' lady, disrupting the entire neighborhood.

I asked him politely to please keep his stereo turned down, and to hold the noise down when he came home at night; eh... to no avail. If anything, the noise only got louder and fights more ferocious.

In late spring, all the cats in the neighborhood went into heat. The competition among the males was especially fierce.

One night, after another barrage of bass-thumping, door slamming, and the usual yelling, screaming, shrieking fight with his ol' lady, all was quiet. I went downstairs to the kitchen and opened a can of tuna. I walked out to his vehicle and opened one of the rear doors.
    (No one locked their vehicles. Military housing = Safe, right?)

I placed the can of tuna on the back seat, and waited for a couple of crusty, mean-looking tomcats to jump in and investigate. Then I slammed the car door shut. The ensuing noise was truly something to behold!

I went back into my house and went to sleep. He got a different car and was a vastly more considerate neighbor, thereafter.

And we all lived happily ever after.

*~*Mi Vida Loca*~*

We had this happen one day, a 17 year old girl thought she was invincible... she could drive as fast as she wanted down our street where we have tons of kids and my brother whom is blind. We warned her and warned her. She got several speeding tickets. Finally, the night came where at 2 30 in the morning she was going 70 down our street, a cat started to walk across the road, she swerved hit the curb and two cars parked on the street then flipped over on the top of her vehicle. Needless to say, that put an end to the speeding.
    Sky above me, Earth below me.... FIRE inside me

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock. -Squirrel

so you feel like confucious just jumped out of your stale dessert and bestowed infinite wisdom upon you and your grease-filled tummy. - Evan

Forum Member
    Once upon a time, I lived in Army housing. Our houses were arranged around a common grassy area in a horseshoe configuration, with parking spots at the curb, on the street. Every night, one of my neighbors would come home at 0200, after being out all night whoring, stereo blasting, bass thumping at window-rattling levels, and then stumble into his house and proceed to have screaming fights with his ol' lady, disrupting the entire neighborhood.

I asked him politely to please keep his stereo turned down, and to hold the noise down when he came home at night; eh... to no avail. If anything, the noise only got louder and fights more ferocious.

In late spring, all the cats in the neighborhood went into heat. The competition among the males was especially fierce.

One night, after another barrage of bass-thumping, door slamming, and the usual yelling, screaming, shrieking fight with his ol' lady, all was quiet. I went downstairs to the kitchen and opened a can of tuna. I walked out to his vehicle and opened one of the rear doors.
    (No one locked their vehicles. Military housing = Safe, right?)

I placed the can of tuna on the back seat, and waited for a couple of crusty, mean-looking tomcats to jump in and investigate. Then I slammed the car door shut. The ensuing noise was truly something to behold!

I went back into my house and went to sleep. He got a different car and was a vastly more considerate neighbor, thereafter.

And we all lived happily ever after.
    Frank that is frikken hilarious!!! LMAO!!

Resident Misanthrope
    There was only one more incident: I'd had a late night/early morning medevac, so I was home, sleeping during the day. The neighbor's ol' lady was upstairs with her windows open, screaming at the top of her (considerable) lungs at her kids. This went on and on... Finally, I raised my own window and yelled, "Hey, you toothless crack-ho!! Stop screaming at your little snotlings! I'm trying to sleep!"

She poked her head out of the window, "What did you call me?!"

I looked her in the eye and said, "I called you a toothless crack-ho, and seriously: I'm trying to sleep, so shut your hole and quit yelling at your loinfruit!"

She said, "No one calls me a toothless crack-ho and gets away with it!"

I said, "Oh... You've been called that a lot, then?"

She looked confused and angry, slammed her window shut, and quit yelling.

I had a very refreshing nap.

Forum Member

Sneak over at night and unbolt his license plates, and bolt them back on BACKWARDS :-).

And it is far better in the summer time to carefully wire that can of tuna WAY up under the drivers seat...well out of sight....give it a few weeks and people will smell him DRIVING past :-)

Bill
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Resident Misanthrope
    Dumping a gallon of milk in the floorboards works pretty good, too. Hahahahahaha..

Forum Member

We had the same problem on our street. A few neighbors called the non-emergency number for the police dept. and explained the problem. A couple of days later they had a unit out on our street shooting radar. It solved the problem fast.

Also as Citizen85 suggested see if the town will install traffic calming devices if the problem persists. In the town over from mine they use speed humps designed for the posted speed limit. So you have no problem going over them at 30mph, but I can guarantee you he or she will only make it over them once at 90mph.

Band-aid jockey
    I had a problem with it once. However, when I staked out the street It turned out the guy was only going 5 over (30 m.p.h.) They complainant said they were doing 80 all the time. Call the PD and hope that they have a traffic unit that can check the street.

Forum Member
    1. Get a hefty chain, something you'd tow a car with.

2. Wrap said chain around the annoying speeder's rear axle. Either side will do.

3. Securely fasten the other end of the chain to something like a tree, his garage door, his dog, etc.

4. Sit back and watch the fun.

There's always the Axel Foley banana in the tailpipe trick. And it would suck if you accidentally spilled some nails out in the street right before he drove through.

In all seriousness, get video with plates of him speeding, show the local PD, and see if they can't bust him.
    If I tell you what I know, I'd have to kill you. Fortunately, I don't know much.

Forum Member
    Give these guys a call then forgetaboutit

Seriously, below is probably the best way to go if all else fails. Barring your ability to get speed bumps installed.

Quote Originally Posted by MTAM View Post
    I would keep a log noting all the dates/times this action takes place. I would then make a trip to the local station and politely ask if an officer could be made avaiable at the times this is most likely to occur. A video of the offender may help with the visual speed reference. Many people will swear "he was going 110mph"!! When in fact it was 15-20 over the limit. The video will help keep it real.
    Last edited by KapsFB; 03-25-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

More cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by jannino View Post
    throw a whole bunch of tacks on the street..
    +1
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Forum Member

Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by ISPY4U2 View Post
    There's always the Axel Foley banana in the tailpipe trick. And it would suck if you accidentally spilled some nails out in the street right before he drove through.
    Even better than a banana is a can or two of that expanding, hardening foam like great stuff and a long flexible hose.

I know a guy who works at a dealer and some guy had his car brought in because it wouldn't start. He said the guys exhaust was packed with the stuff. Including the muffler and the cat converter. He had to get it all replaced there was no way they could clean it all out. He also said it can seriously screw the motor up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last