View Poll Results: How many traffic citations are you expected to issue per day?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50-100

3 10.00%
  • 101-150

0 0%
  • 151-200

0 0%
  • 201-250

27 90.00%
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Traffic Citations

On average, how many traffic citations are you expected to issue in a day?

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Kimbell View Post
    Your question borders on "What is your quota?"

There are no numbers expected. Officers are expected to perform their duties as assigned. Those duties included, but are not limited to, public contacts, public service, aid to motorists, assist those who are in need, take action for all observed violations of the law, be available to the public, patrol to suppress criminal activity, help elderly folks and children cross the street (wait, that is Boy Scouts), answers calls for service, investigate criminal offenses, investigate traffic accidents, represent the agency in a sound professional manner, etc., etc., etc.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SgtCHP View Post
    Your question borders on "What is your quota?"

There are no numbers expected.
    Oh, ok. I didn't realize this. So if you never handed one out, that would be ok with your supervisors?

Why so serious?
    Your poll goes up to 250. A typical traffic stop can last 5-10 minutes, assuming it's nothing more than pulling a vehicle over and warning/citing for a violation (i.e. no other criminal offenses going on). You seriously believe that it's possible in an average police shift that often ranges from 8-12 hours, 250 citations can be given, much less expected? Even a traffic officer, who doesn't respond to patrol calls, who issues multiple violations to each stop made wouldn't get near that number.

Regarding your second question, I worked patrol for two local agencies, and neither had an expectation of ticket numbers per shift for patrol officers. If we made traffic stops or not, didn't matter, so long as we answered our calls for service/back-up. Traffic units at the departments I worked for had "quota," but their numbers were around 5 per day, and included warning tickets equally with citation tickets.
    Last edited by Kimble; 03-22-2010 at 03:53 PM.

10-96

the most I ever wrote in one day was 3 summonses.

250 summonses a MONTH is extremely high. I probably wont even write 250 this year!

LE Cheetah
    There's plenty of days where I don't stop a single car, much less write a ticket. Just depends on what else is going on.
    “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gbotj View Post
    the most I ever wrote in one day was 3 summonses.

250 summonses a MONTH is extremely high. I probably wont even write 250 this year!
    So you claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
    Regarding your second question, I worked patrol for two local agencies, and neither had an expectation of ticket numbers per shift for patrol officers. If we made traffic stops or not, didn't matter, so long as we answered our calls for service/back-up. Traffic units at the departments I worked for had "quota," but their numbers were around 5 per day, and included warning tickets equally with citation tickets.
    Come on guys, this is the internet. You can be honest here.

If there's really no requirement, why do you keep doing it to us!?

Resident Misanthrope
    250 a day. Are you trying to replace us with robots. I don't think my entire agency writes that many a day.

Wow. That poll is awesome. The least is 50 a day LOL you would be a ticket writing machine. And universally hated.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Forum Member

user banned permanently
    Last edited by Nobody; 04-22-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Forum Member

How many?

As many as I possibly can.

So that you better understand your place.

Resident Misanthrope

Really? Well people give us subtlte clues as to who needs a traffic ticket. Things like racing, speeding drinking and driving, aggressive driving, running red lights while smoking a joint naked and giving me the finger is a start. Those are a few things that scream I need a ticket.

Why don't you ask a serious question.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Forum Member
    My quota for citations is 300 per day. I usually issue between 400-500 so the boss gives me a smile

I single handedly paid for the Chicago Tollway System, highway-booths, and all...
    "I would suggest that when a person has a thought of doing anything serious against the law, that before they did, that they should go to a quiet place and think about it seriously."

William George Bonin - Executed in Calfornia Feb 23rd 1996

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybomb View Post
    Wow. That poll is awesome. The least is 50 a day LOL you would be a ticket writing machine. And universally hated.
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybomb View Post
    Really? Well people give us subtlte clues as to who needs a traffic ticket. Things like racing, speeding drinking and driving, aggressive driving, running red lights while smoking a joint naked and giving me the finger is a start. Those are a few things that scream I need a ticket.

Why don't you ask a serious question.
    Uhh...ok. So you have explained why you ticket crazy people. What I'm actually asking is why you bother to ticket otherwise law-abiding citizens who are just trying to get to work in the morning, if you're not required to.

Forum Member

May citation book has 25 citations in it and unless I'm very angry, I don't even get close to that number.

But as for why we keep writing them, it's only for one reason.

I need a new take home.

Forum Member

Mr. Kimbell, you are an idiot.

Secondly, your tax dollars you surely scream about pay for us to enforce traffic laws. Don't like it, start walking... But only on the sidewalk and cross properly cause guess what, I write pedestrian violations too!!!!

Don't want a ticket? Follow the traffic code smart guy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKralC104 View Post
    Mr. Kimbell, you are an idiot.

Secondly, your tax dollars you surely scream about pay for us to enforce traffic laws. Don't like it, start walking... But only on the sidewalk and cross properly cause guess what, I write pedestrian violations too!!!!

Don't want a ticket? Follow the traffic code smart guy.
    You really ticket pedestrians?

Wow.

Thank you for legitimizing the stereotype with this post.

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Oh, ok. I didn't realize this. So if you never handed one out, that would be ok with your supervisors?
    Let me approach this in a logical manner that even you can understand:

Officers are provided with many tools to perform their trade. In addition to firearms, mace, shotguns, batons, Powers of arrest, etc., they have the ability to execute sound, professional decisions when they take an enforcement action. There are basically four methods of enforcement:

1. Arrest

2. Ticket/Summons/Citation

3. Written warning, fix-it tickets, notice to repair, etc

4. Verbal warning.

Each officer, as stated above, is expected to render their enforcement actions with professionalism and trust. They have the option to utilize one of the four actions based on their observations, professional training, empathy for the violator, emotional state of mind, acceptable standards of behavior, et al. Their supervisors do not intervene and tell them how to conduct their daily affairs or activities; except to dispatch them to specific calls or make observations of performance.

Almost every state, without exception, in the United States of America has a law that prohibits the setting of a specific number of violations that an officer must issue in any one shift, week, month, year, career.

The officers may be evaluated on their performance and those items addressed in this post may be used as part of their evalutaion, but may not be the sole determinants as to performance and action.

Now, back to your question: You are asking what the quota is and you are not going to get any definitive answer beyond my ramblings above. I don't care how you word your survey, it is to determine a quota! So, use the search mechanism and type in "quotas" to find your answer.

And, yes, as a Supervisor, I would not be distressed if an officer failed to write a ticket as long as those duties, which I outlined in my previous post, were properly performed in the course of their daily activities. And, as long as the officers were properly representing the department with the demeanor and conduct of professional standards and performance.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Opionated
    No # required, but if I go a whole shift without issuing a summons or locking someone up, I wasn't doing my job. Now if I am in charge that day, that comment would change.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Forum Member
    There's no set number of citations I'm "expected" to issue on any given day. I report for duty, work in whatever area I'm assigned for the day and go home. If I'm assigned to traffic detail, I perform my duties to the best of my ability, according to the guidelines set for the day. If I'm instructed to cite anyone traveling x miles over the speed limit, that's what I do. There are some days where we're instructed to issue verbal/written warnings unless motorists are traveling x miles over the speed limit, or committing certain traffic offenses.

I provide the same advice to all who ask. If you want to avoid getting cited, don't break the law!

Forum Member
    What I'm actually asking is why you bother to ticket otherwise law-abiding citizens who are just trying to get to work in the morning, if you're not required to.
    You may be aware of this quote..."I'm a cop, you idiot!"

Because my job is to uphold the law, and nobody will give a **** about following the law if all we did was consistently let people off with a fingerwag and a warning.
    Last edited by McWatt; 03-22-2010 at 05:28 PM.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later.

Forum Member

I expect my Officers to issue at least 20 citations a month. If they don't reach that level what do I do about it? Nothing. I just explain to them that the reason that we couldn't buy that particular piece of equipment they were wanting was because "ticket sales" were down that month.

I just got their new cars in Friday so I know they will be wanting something in the next few days

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined View Post
    Wow, we are getting some weather here. It is raining like mad. It has been in the 60's all week and now this. I went for a bike ride Saturday. How is the weather where you guys are at?
    Outshined we had great weather here all weekend sun was out and not a cloud in the sky...took the Harley out and was riding most of the weekend now I'm gong to go lay by the pool

Forum Member
    Ridiculous question. The numbers in your pole are not even close to legit for anyone for a day.

A fast traffic stop in which you do nothing except take the info and write the ticket... and don't bother to check anything else... would take at minimum 10 minutes. Assuming you had 50 cars lined up and waiting that would take 500 minutes or 8.33 hours. It's not possible in a shift unless you get a handful of people who you write double digit tickets to.

We have no "quota". It is hard work to NOT write tickets simply because people are always doing something wrong on the roads.
    "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Forum Member

You really ticket pedestrians?

Wow.

Thank you for legitimizing the stereotype with this post.
    I guess pedestrians should just freely walk across major roadways putting themselves and drivers at risk. They should expect traffic to halt to their desire to cross the street wherever they'd like. People should be allowed to run red lights and stop signs, travel 100 miles an hour on whatever street they'd like. Who needs traffic laws? You are right, everyone should do what they want!

Freakin ******.

Forum Member

I write like one every couple days....I used to write one or so a day but now I write one every 2 or 3 days

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last