FORMER U.S. MARINE (0311) five0686's Avatar

Dealer & Transporter tags

I notice that lot of people are using these tags. I know the they trying to be slick and drive a vehicle in which the original tag of the vehicle are expired or has never been registered. The other night I stopped a stupid driver for his transporter tag being expired for three months. When I ran the vehicle's VIN on NCIC it came back that a vehicle had a tag already assigned to it, but the original tag was expired for over six months. I cited the driver for the tag being expired. Any traffic expert can shed some light on these tags?
    NEVER FORGET!!!

Quote Originally Posted by five0686 View Post
    I notice that lot of people are using these tags. I know the they trying to be slick and drive a vehicle in which the original tag of the vehicle are expired or has never been registered. The other night I stopped a stupid driver for his transporter tag being expired for three months. When I ran the vehicle's VIN on NCIC it came back that a vehicle had a tag already assigned to it, but the original tag was expired for over six months. I cited the driver for the tag being expired. Any traffic expert can shed some light on these tags?
    If they just purchased the vehicle they have 30 days to get a tag. The only acceptable proof is the dated purchase paperwork. If they don't have it on them they get a ticket.
    If they have their purchase paperwork technically they don't even have to have a tag on the car. Dealerships are required to give them the temp tag with the silver strip but it's not something you can charge the driver with as long as their paperwork is in order. Not having a tag will result in them getting pulled over by every cop in every town but as long as their paperwork is in order they're good to go.

Technically, if they have a peice of paper that says in crayon "I bubba dun sold dis car to da driver on 1 march 2010" and it lists the vin and vehicle information, they're good to go.

VTEC just kicked in yo The SSheriff's Avatar
    320.13 (1)(a) - In brief, it states that dealer tags can only be used on a vehicle while it is in the process of being sold (taking for a test drive, etc) or are being used to conduct dealer business.

320.133 (1) - In brief, it states that transporter tags can be used on vehicles that have not already been registered and does not have an owner. It also states that the transporter/dealer/etc must pay a certain fee according to 320.08(15) and have proof of liability insurance no less than $100,000.

I'd cite for "attaching tag not assigned" - 320.261
    Last edited by The SSheriff; 03-22-2010 at 06:21 AM.

Thank you for the feedback, here in Opa-locka we have alot of mom & pop car dealers, junk yards, and auto body shops. Every time pull over these morons, I know they using the tags for personal use.
    NEVER FORGET!!!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by five0686 View Post
    I know they using the tags for personal use.
    I'd hate to quote training day, but it's not what you know, it's what you can prove.
    I've gotten a few dealers who I know for a fact they are using it for personal use, especially used car dealers, but they always tell me they're on the way to some autoshow or someone who's interested in buying the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesoldier View Post
    I'd hate to quote training day, but it's not what you know, it's what you can prove.
    I've gotten a few dealers who I know for a fact they are using it for personal use, especially used car dealers, but they always tell me they're on the way to some autoshow or someone who's interested in buying the car.
    Its a gut feeling, I know can't prove it off the bat that why I'm asking a traffic guy. I wanted see if there were something more to the law that I can use.
    NEVER FORGET!!!

it's got a hemi
    320.133 transporter license plates.--

(1) The department is authorized to issue a transporter license plate to any applicant who, incidental to the conduct of his or her business, engages in the transporting of motor vehicles which are not currently registered to any owner and which do not have license plates, upon payment of the license tax imposed by s. 320.08(15) for each such license plate and upon proof of liability insurance coverage in the amount of $100,000 or more. Such a transporter license plate is valid for use on any motor vehicle in the possession of the transporter while the motor vehicle is being transported in the course of the transporter's business.

I do write for transporter tags being placed on vehicles that are obviously being used for personal reasons. If you observe the vehicle and see personal items in the vehicle (stopped a guy coming home from softball practice with his softball bag in the rear seat) or see anything else besides driving the vehicle to/from bodyshop or dealers then they are in violation and should be cited for the criminal violation.

Quote Originally Posted by The SSheriff View Post
    320.13 (1)(a) - In brief, it states that dealer tags can only be used on a vehicle while it is in the process of being sold (taking for a test drive, etc) or are being used to conduct dealer business.

320.133 (1) - In brief, it states that transporter tags can be used on vehicles that have not already been registered and does not have an owner. It also states that the transporter/dealer/etc must pay a certain fee according to 320.08(15) and have proof of liability insurance no less than $100,000.

I'd cite for "attaching tag not assigned" - 320.261
    I DON'T THINK SO! This is a misdemeanor and unless you actually witness the driver attaching the tag to the vehicle, the criminal citation / arrest is going nowhere! In other words - BAD ARREST!!! There are numerous AG opinions on this along with case law from multiple districts.

This law is a bitch to enforce. I asked my traffic unit, they don't know the right answer ether.
    NEVER FORGET!!!

Forum Member
    +1 to sibpd893tf with only one exception the person states post miranda he/she placed the tag on the vehicle knowing it did not belong to the vehicle.

VTEC just kicked in yo The SSheriff's Avatar
    sib is right..... forgot to type that in. Attaching a tag not assigned is not one of the misdemeanor exceptions.

You can't really cite them under 316.605 because it doesn't say in the statute that the proper tag must be displayed, but only that it is displayed correctly (height, no obstructions, etc).

Perhaps it is time for a revision to the law. Anybody know how to go about doing that?