Forum Member

Humorous Call From FOP

I'm a regular contributor to the Fraternal Order of Police. You all know who they are and what they do. Today I get a phone call from them, and the guy introduces himself and then says "Don't worry, you aren't in any trouble." Had to laugh.

Macho Man

Same thing happened at our house.

Forum Member
    Well, they deserve our dollars. I just thought it was funny to get a phone call reminding me that I was on the right side of the law.

Resident Misanthrope
    Actually you may want to check out who you are giving your money to. Most are for profit companines and rarely do the ever give more than 18% of what you donate to the FOP. Legit companies will tell you right over the phone how much is really going to the agency that you are donating cash to.

I have ran into more than a few that were fraudulently collecting for the "FOP"
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybomb View Post
    Actually you may want to check out who you are giving your money to. Most are for profit companines and rarely do the ever give more than 18% of what you donate to the FOP. Legit companies will tell you right over the phone how much is really going to the agency that you are donating cash to.

I have ran into more than a few that were fraudulently collecting for the "FOP"
    I've been a donor for 15 years. They never ask for any information, other than my mailing address, and they just tell me that they will be sending out a mailer. I trust them. Am I being scammed here? If I am, I'm not gonna be real happy.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCEvan View Post
    LoL scammed for 15 years. Thats gotta be insulting, eh? hahaha Hope youre not, though.
    If I am, I have no problem cutting off the money. Sucks when you think you are donating to a good cause and find out you are being fleeced. Why you think that is funny is beyond me. Don't sweat it though, because I will just look for legit causes to donate to. Thank you for your service, sir.

Resident Misanthrope
    Next time you get a call ask them how much of what you donate is really going to the FOP. If its not direct to the FOP its probably only 18% or a little as 11%.

There are a few web sites that will let you know what the rate is. Its pretty sad. Not a scam but people really don't know whahere their money is going. 18 bucks out of every 100 isn't much.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Forum Member
    on the line with them now. waiting for an agent.

Forum Member
    Voicemail...Michigan FOP 269-768-2303

the quiet one
    I googled the number you provided and found the MIFOP website...http://www.mifop.com There were some comments on the 'whocalledme' sites, but a lot of them were just complaining about police.

Mifop Fundraising Information
    The Michigan Fraternal Order of Police represents over 11,500 members across Michigan. We do solicit donations on the telephone. Our program is completely legitimate. We are registered with the Michigan Attorney General to conduct our program under the Michigan Public Safety Solicitations Act. All of our calls are recorded and can be verified. The funds raised are used throughout Michigan in a variety of ways.
    We conduct an eighth grade essay contest that includes every school in Michigan with over $20,000 in U.S savings bonds to the winners. We donate time, money and bodies to the Law Enforcement Torch Run. We give financial assistance to the families of officers killed in the line of duty. Funds from this program are shared with our fifty five lodges that support local charities and youth activities in their communities. Many of your children have played little league, soccer or football on FOP sponsored teams. Many of your children have received scholarships from our local lodges. Funds from this program are also used to improve the working conditions and benefits of our members.
    These are the telephone numbers we use for our fundraising calls.
    269-537-2003 517-933-2074
    231-224-2083 877-367-7570
    269-768-2303 801-290-6555
    269-768-2403 269-768-2449
    If you have any questions on the legitimacy of a call claiming to be from the Fraternal Order of Police you can contact us at 1-888-367-6424 or by email at mifop@aol.com.
    Michigan FOP Fundraising Campaign

The Michigan Fraternal Order of Police has entered into an agreement with Corporations for Character (C4C) to solicit donations from the public to support the programs of the Fraternal Order of Police. The money generated by this state wide campaign is used to fund the programs of the organization.

Our State wide eighth grade essay contest, police officer of the year as well as the financial assistance we provide for the families of officers killed in the line of duty are paid with the money raised by C4C through this fundraising campaign. In addition to these programs, the FOP also uses portion of the monies raised to support Special Olympics and to financially assist our local lodges in their support to charities and youth activities in their local communities.

If you have any questions regarding calls that you may have received from C4C or would like additional information regarding our fund raising program please call the Michigan Fraternal Order of Police State Office at 1-888-367-6424 or email us at mifop@aol.com.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCEvan View Post
    I dont think its funny that you would be getting scammed, please dont make that mistake. The 15 years of it part is a little humorous, that it would have worked for so long, but Im pretty sure that you are fine and its nothing to worry about. I mean, 15 years, if it were a scam, its sure to have been caught before it would go on THAT long. But like I said, Im sure your fine.

And apollogies if you think I was laughing at you, that wasnt the intent brotha.
    No apologies necessary, man. It's just important to people like us that police and military know that civilians care. I did get through to them today, and they said that 80% of donations actually go to those who have lost loved ones in the line of duty. That works for me.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by icecoldblueyes View Post
    I googled the number you provided and found the MIFOP website...http://www.mifop.com There were some comments on the 'whocalledme' sites, but a lot of them were just complaining about police.
    Appreciate the info. I feel better knowing my money isn't going for nothing. They can keep their stickers, though. I've accumulated a few, lol.