Forum Member

Jury Duty Excuse / Impact on Hiring???

How much do jury duty excuses play a role in trying to get hired as a police officer?? I was called for jury duty last year, but because of my Mitral Valve Prolapse, I began experiencing heart palpitations and minor chest pain from being nervous about it. This went on since the time I received my summons. I requested an excused absence, and my Doctor wrote up a short letter stating what was going on. The only problem is that she said I have anxiety disorder, when really it was supposed to be Mitral Valve Prolapse, cause that's what I really have. She disclosed the symptoms that I was experiencing... The heart palpitations and the minor chest pain. Unfortunately, the excuse was NOT not excused by the courts. I still called in EVERY DAY for my WHOLE two week summons. I was never "selected" to serve though.

How would this situation impact me getting hired?? For one, I requested an excused absence on the summons. Again, I was experiencing those real symptoms, and my Doctor wrote the note. But, she disclosed it as Anxiety Disorder, not Mitral Valve Prolapse. I wasn't trying to lie or anything like that. Despite not being excused, I still did my duty of calling the line everyday to see if I was needed, which I was not.

Thanks so much everyone.

PS: I am on a beta blocker medication for my Mitral Valve Prolapse. Some of you may remember me writing about that earlier back.

L-1
    Mitral prolapse is considered to be a valvular disease.

Read http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Cardio.pdf regarding how cardio issues are viewed in police applicants.

While these are the the the California guidelines, standards are fairly universal throughout the US.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Forum Member
    Thanks L-1... So, from this information, what should I gather?? I looked it over, but I still would like to know how the jury excuse from last year impacts my chances of being hired, or would it not even come up in discussion?? I have nothing to hide... The symptoms were correct that my Doc noted, but the condition being Anxiety Disorder was not. She was the one who sent me for tests, which concluded that it was MPV. Again, I don't want it to seem like I was trying to lie here, cause I wasn't.

Forum Member
    I agree totally with the previous replies. Of the issues you cite, the Jury Duty Summons is the least of your concerns. The heart related issue(s) will be of far more concern to an Agency. I'm not suggesting that you're totally out of any future hiring prospects. I'm suggesting that your medical issues might be a problem. Hope things work out for you. Good luck.

Forum Member
    I agree totally with the previous replies. Of the issues you cite, the Jury Duty Summons is the least of your concerns. The heart related issue(s) will be of far more concern to an Agency. I'm not suggesting that you're totally out of any future hiring prospects. I'm suggesting that your medical issues might be a problem. Hope things work out for you. Good luck.

L-1
    Ditto to what the others have said,

Whether or not you have ever asked to be excused from jury duty is usually not a question asked on the background and has nothing to do with whether or not you will be hired. Instead, backgrounds:

1. Verify your identity

2. Verify that you possess the minimum qualifications for the position.

3. Seek to determine whether there is anything on your personal history that meets the criteria for disqualification (moral character issues)

This issue you have brought up is a medical one, It should not come up in the background because, under the Americans with Disabilities Act, an employer cannot inquire about medical issues except in connection with a bona fide offer of employment and because police background investigators lack the expertise and training to properly evaluate medical issues. Instead, if you reach the point where you receive a conditional offer of employment, the condition of your heart will be addressed by the department's physician.

Now, if you want a general feel for how your heart might limit you in police work, take the standards I sent you to your doctor and ask him how your condition limits you in meeting them.

You also have to remember that workers compensation laws in many states work against the hiring of people with pre-existing in juries. My state has what is called a "heart presumption" written into its laws for police officers. It basically recognizes that the physical and emotional strains on law enforcement personnel are such that any heart illnesses or injuries sustained after a certain number of years on the job are automatically presumed to be work related and the employer winds up being liable for all heart related medial bills (and retirement if warranted) for the rest of the officer's life. Similarly, if a pre-existing, non-job related heart condition is aggravated by on the job stress, the employer also becomes liable for all future medical care and retirement. As a result, folks with pre-existing heart conditions often have difficulty getting hired.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

I don't have an answer for your question, but I do have another question for you: you mentioned that nervousness about serving on the jury caused the symptoms you had-- wouldn't that be an issue for you in police work, since it involves so many nerve-wracking situations, including dealing with court cases?

Forum Member
    Don't you think an MD knows more about your condition than you? Mitral valve prolapse won't cause those "symptoms' you stated you had. Those are classic anxiety and it shows that you should not be in LE or any PS work.

Forum Member
    If the thought of jury duty stresses you out, how in the world do you expect to function as a police officer?

Quote Originally Posted by just joe View Post
    If the thought of jury duty stresses you out, how in the world do you expect to function as a police officer?
    My thoughts exactly.

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.