Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345

Thread: irvine PD

  1. #101
    Chicks Dig It
    OCEnforcer29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    545
    One of my friends tested today, he was shocked at the attire too...full beards, shorts and sandals, jeans, "Tap Out" Sweatshirts...I'm pretty surprised too at that. I would hope none of those people get hired.
    CHICKS DIG IT!!!

  2. #102
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by aWAKEnD518 View Post
    It wasn't. I'm happy to hear there were bums not dressed in the second session too (I was in the morning). How many were at yours?

    P.s. I tried pming you and it must be disabled or something, it won't let me...
    There were about 50 or so at my session. Oh and I enabled PMing, should work now.

  3. #103
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by OCEnforcer29 View Post
    One of my friends tested today, he was shocked at the attire too...full beards, shorts and sandals, jeans, "Tap Out" Sweatshirts...I'm pretty surprised too at that. I would hope none of those people get hired.
    Being how early it was, I doubt the woman from HR was taking notes on attire so there's always that chance one of those idiots could be hired or at least tie up the hiring process for the rest of us... It was about 40-50% of the applicants in my testing pool that were dressed poorly.

    I'd say my group in the morning session was closer to 65 or 70. I wish they would've just sent the 30 or 35 of them home as soon as they walked in. Since when is showing up in shorts, a tshirt, and sandals with acceptable? I never even did that with my other, less-important jobs...
    Last edited by aWAKEnD518; 10-11-2012 at 02:17 AM.

  4. #104
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by aWAKEnD518 View Post
    Being how early it was, I doubt the woman from HR was taking notes on attire so there's always that chance one of those idiots could be hired or at least tie up the hiring process for the rest of us... It was about 40-50% of the applicants in my testing pool. I'd say my group in the morning session was closer to 65 or 70.
    You know there was probably around 60 to 65, I forgot that a few walked in late from when I was counting. I don't think the HR lady was taking notes at mine either. However, I doubt if the people don't know to dress professional for a test to get hired, I doubt they will do that well and know much about the department in the interview.

  5. #105
    Forum Member
    CPDEMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    OC
    Posts
    584
    Is the written still a 100 questions on a scantron? The testing process really screwed up the parking lots for the whole day!

    The statement about there currently being 5 spots is correct. IPD has been given permission to hire for 205 officers total. However, it is anticipated that city council will up that number quite a bit at some point based on the growing population.

  6. #106
    Chicks Dig It
    OCEnforcer29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by aWAKEnD518 View Post
    Being how early it was, I doubt the woman from HR was taking notes on attire so there's always that chance one of those idiots could be hired or at least tie up the hiring process for the rest of us... It was about 40-50% of the applicants in my testing pool that were dressed poorly.

    I'd say my group in the morning session was closer to 65 or 70. I wish they would've just sent the 30 or 35 of them home as soon as they walked in. Since when is showing up in shorts, a tshirt, and sandals with acceptable? I never even did that with my other, less-important jobs...
    Yeah I know they won't be able to take notes on it. If I was King though, (Or Chief of Police), I'd have someone there from my department and anyone not in a suit would be sent home. It's unprofessional and I wouldn't want that person working for my agency.
    CHICKS DIG IT!!!

  7. #107
    Cop/Medic

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    53
    I'll tell you this, I LOVE walking in to find that a majority of my competition either doesn't care enough or doesn't know enough to look like they want the job. I recently tested for a smaller department in the south bay area, and I was one of 3 people in suits, among 60 something candidates. Ironically, I actually knew the other 2 people. I felt real good about that.

  8. #108
    Cop/Medic

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    53
    And to me, it's less about the suit and more about the attitude. If these people don't put in enough effort to learn that they should wear a suit, or enough effort to even wear the suit after they know it... then I am sure the department will be able to see that throughout the process and can them around the oral interview. I know some of them will slip through the cracks and drop during the academy or field training though.

  9. #109
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by CPDEMT View Post
    Is the written still a 100 questions on a scantron? The testing process really screwed up the parking lots for the whole day!

    The statement about there currently being 5 spots is correct. IPD has been given permission to hire for 205 officers total. However, it is anticipated that city council will up that number quite a bit at some point based on the growing population.

    110 question scantron with 1hr 50mins to complete.

    We were also told they may up the hires, hope so I'm dying to get hired somewhere!

  10. #110
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by thindian View Post
    And to me, it's less about the suit and more about the attitude. If these people don't put in enough effort to learn that they should wear a suit, or enough effort to even wear the suit after they know it... then I am sure the department will be able to see that throughout the process and can them around the oral interview. I know some of them will slip through the cracks and drop during the academy or field training though.
    so quick to judge individuals who don't dress "appropriately."
    How do you know some of these people haven't made greater "efforts" towards the career than you?

    truth is, and this is the truth nowadays: It does not matter until the day of the oral where you will be weighed and judged; sucks right?

  11. #111
    Chicks Dig It
    OCEnforcer29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by avici_183 View Post
    so quick to judge individuals who don't dress "appropriately."
    How do you know some of these people haven't made greater "efforts" towards the career than you?

    truth is, and this is the truth nowadays: It does not matter until the day of the oral where you will be weighed and judged; sucks right?
    Because if they're showing up to a written test in sandals, shorts and a "Tap Out" hoodie for a law enforcement agency, they probably haven't done much research or put much thought into the career. Anyone who researches or asks around about an exam with a professional agency would know to at least dress up, whether in a suit or at least slacks and a collared shirt. If you want the job bad enough you're going to do everything you can to get it (morally, ethically and legally of course) and that would be doing research and dressing up.

    And I would disagree with you that you're not judged until your oral board. Your conduct and behavior is always being judged. If you're acting like an idiot or conducting yourself unprofessionally, you better believe someone administering the test will find out who you are and you're probably not going to go much farther in the test. Whether you're at the written, a PT test, an oral board, or anywhere in the hiring process, you're always being judged. True, with 800+ people testing and so many people dressing casually, it's harder, but that's no excuse to be lazy. To dress in the attire mentioned you're either lazy or haven't done your research.
    CHICKS DIG IT!!!

  12. #112
    Cop/Medic

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    53
    I'm not judging their attire, I'm judging their mentality. I don't know if they have made greater "efforts" than me, but if they have, then they have forgotten to make a lot of those efforts in places that count.

    Here's the thing, in some agencies, it does matter. And in agencies that it doesn't matter, why slack it anyway? You never truly know if it's going to matter or not right? So why not give it 100% of your effort, all the time? That's the mentality I'm talking about.

  13. #113
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    132
    Got word this morning about the written, if you tested last Wednesday check your emails.

  14. #114
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    19
    Found out today that I passed the written!

  15. #115
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by electrician View Post
    Found out today that I passed the written!
    Congrats! I found out today I passed my oral. Good luck with your oral.

  16. #116
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by aWAKEnD518 View Post
    Congrats! I found out today I passed my oral. Good luck with your oral.
    Congrats to you as well! How long between written and your oral?

  17. #117
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by electrician View Post
    Congrats to you as well! How long between written and your oral?
    Not long. 2 weeks maybe...

    They have a ton of applicants so if it's not as fast, don't be discouraged.

  18. #118
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    28
    Wait a tic. Did I just read Irvine is hiring 205 officers?

  19. #119
    Chicks Dig It
    OCEnforcer29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalReserve View Post
    Wait a tic. Did I just read Irvine is hiring 205 officers?
    Hiring? No. Maybe hiring officers to make their # of total sworn to 205. From what my buddy told me they said at the testing, they have 5 spots.
    CHICKS DIG IT!!!

  20. #120
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by OCEnforcer29 View Post
    Hiring? No. Maybe hiring officers to make their # of total sworn to 205. From what my buddy told me they said at the testing, they have 5 spots.
    Roger. Thanks.

  21. #121
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalReserve View Post
    Wait a tic. Did I just read Irvine is hiring 205 officers?
    No, like OCE said, hiring to get TO 205. I asked again at my oral and I was told they have 5 spots as of now. They have a couple guys in backgrounds that may fill a couple of them and they have a few in the academy that if they don't finish it'll make that number of 5 go up. They had over 1000 applicants, so it's obviously very competitive for the few spots (whether it's 5 or even 10).

Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register