Forum Member

What is the age limit to becoming a police officer?

Hello to all, I was just wondering what the age requirement is to become a polie officer and at what age is too old to become a police officer?
    I am 32 year old male, looking at how to become a police officer. Though I am begging to think my window of oppurtunity has passed me by.

Forum Member

I'm sure the age limit will vary from one dept. to another, but I'm also pretty sure the age limit is higher than 32 at most depts.

The Sgt. is my b*tch!
    You're fine. In fact, a lot of departments prefer to hire older folks, do to life experience. Hell, my department recently hired a full bird colonel in his 50's. The bastard is getting a decent pay check, plus a full pension. *grumbles*

-SC
    Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
    MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
    Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
    Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
    Various Graduate Credits - UoP
    MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
    DPA Valdosta State 30%

Forum Member

Depends from dept. to dept. and in some cases by state. I think IL or IN cuts off at 35, but most states aren't as strict. there is no upper age limit in Ohio.

Patrullero
    No age limit in Kansas for police.

With the feds in a covered position, it's 37 unless preference eligible veteran.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Band-aid jockey
    I know of a few people that got hired on in their late forties and early fifties.

Forum Member

If you're over 30 though, you don't get to sit with the "cool" cadets at lunch. Fortunately, I'll be 29 when I start the academy, so I'll be one of the "cool" cadets.

Forum Member

I'm 48 and, according to a patrol sergeant where I intend to apply, I'm actually a pretty good candidate, with life experience and maturity to offset getting a later start in this than many. A guy who's 56 was hired there recently.

At your age I think the sky's the limit (although I understand there are some agencies that have limits).

Forum Member
    NY is one that has limits. 34 I believe.
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyCop View Post
    You're fine. In fact, a lot of departments prefer to hire older folks, do to life experience. Hell, my department recently hired a full bird colonel in his 50's. The bastard is getting a decent pay check, plus a full pension. *grumbles*

-SC
    I was 38 when i came on, after a 20 year Navy career. Our oldest recruit was 58, retired from Verizon, is one of our better detectives now. Too bad he has to bail at age 65.