Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Bay Pines Florida VA Police?

Any info on this department?

They are hiring and it's quite a commute from where I will be living however there is an OPC in Ft. Myers which Bay Pines is responsible for and on the site it states they provide Police to the OPC.

Any info how this all works? Does Bay Pines hire the officers and send them to Ft. Myers or does the OPC do the hiring of their own officers?

One Night In Bangkok
    Bay Pines has lots of problems... They hire when they need someone for the OPC in Ft. Myers, seperate hiring.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    Bay Pines has lots of problems... They hire when they need someone for the OPC in Ft. Myers, seperate hiring.
    So I take it the annoucement would specify if it was Ft. Myers then right?

The 1 up on usajobs.gov right now doesn't specify at all. So I'm guessing it's for the main center.

One Night In Bangkok
    Yup. Ive seen several of the announcements which state Ft. Myers OPC as the location. Sweet gig too.. M-F 9-5

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtSailor View Post
    Any info on this department?

They are hiring and it's quite a commute from where I will be living however there is an OPC in Ft. Myers which Bay Pines is responsible for and on the site it states they provide Police to the OPC.

Any info how this all works? Does Bay Pines hire the officers and send them to Ft. Myers or does the OPC do the hiring of their own officers?
    Are you wanting to be a police officer or a security guard.

Regardless of what they call it, you'll be the later.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by leesrt View Post

I don't really care what they call it. I just need a job when I get out. If I don't get into an agency that I want, then I will use 0083 as a spring board.

Operator
    Are you wanting to be a police officer or a security guard..
    Yeah...just like all Dept of the Army Police Officers and Pentagon Cops are just all security......aren't they....???

Talk to Sgt. Kimberly Munley from Fort Hood.....and then suffle your *** over to the Pentagon and ask Officers Jeffrey Amos and Marvin Carraway if they are just "Security Guards".......

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    Yeah...just like all Dept of the Army Police Officers and Pentagon Cops are just all security......aren't they....???

Talk to Sgt. Kimberly Munley from Fort Hood.....and then suffle your *** over to the Pentagon and ask Officers Jeffrey Amos and Marvin Carraway if they are just "Security Guards".......

He's not asking about being the Pentagon Police, he's talking about a VA facility police officer. I'm familiar with them and I've spent a lot of time at VA hospitals. If he's wanting to do actual Police work he will be very bored.
    If as he stated, he just wants to be employed when he gets out he'll be ok.

There are plenty of government "police" jobs that don't do anything most would consider police work. It's just a matter of what your looking for. The fact that you get shot or shoot someone doesn't change the nature of what your day to day job is.
    My comment was aimed toward what the day to day job is.
    Last edited by leesrt; 03-08-2010 at 03:43 AM.

Forum Member

I'm not familar with what the VA Police do. But I am familar with DoD, and on my base we do actual police work quite often. It's not comparable to a large city department but it keeps from the nights being too boring. It's not something I'm trying to retire from but I will use it as a foot in the door if I have to. It's the same reason I've applied to BOP and local jails and state prisons.

Forum Member
    I'm not familar with what the VA Police do. But I am familar with DoD, and on my base we do actual police work quite often. It's not comparable to a large city department but it keeps from the nights being too boring. It's not something I'm trying to retire from but I will use it as a foot in the door if I have to. It's the same reason I've applied to BOP and local jails and state prisons.
    There's nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the difference. Getting a GS position is good and many people don't want the hastles of normal police work.

Forum Member

There's nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the difference. Getting a GS position is good and many people don't want the hastles of normal police work.
    No I definitely want the hassles if by hassle you mean action. But it's currently a tough job market and I may not get what I want right away.

One Night In Bangkok

Hmmm... I guess the VA I worked at which had a factory, county golf course, military base, housing, countless psych pateints and national cemetery etc...was nothing more than being a security guard..

Why not tell it to the following VA police officers families that they were security guards:

Officer Marvin Wilcox

http://www.odmp.org/officer/14170-po...nard-b.-wilcox

Officer Mark Decker

http://www.odmp.org/officer/3957-pol...mark-s.-decker

Officer Ronald Hearn

http://www.odmp.org/officer/6297-pol...r-ronald-hearn

Officer Horst Harold Woods

http://www.odmp.org/officer/14706-po...t-harold-woods

And most recently

Officer Jose Oscar Rodriguez-Reyes

http://www.odmp.org/officer/16256-po...odriguez-reyes

Bay Pines is a large VAMC. It has a beach on the property. Keep an eye out as Miami, Orlando and Tampa have had announcements along with the DoD @ MacDill AFB.

Solo is how I roll
    No I definitely want the hassles if by hassle you mean action. But it's currently a tough job market and I may not get what I want right away.
    If you don't mind dealing with some action, have you looked at the Florida Highway Patrol?

I would suggest giving them a look, they have been hiring pretty steady lately and they give preference to prior military.

Not that I am biased towards being a Trooper or anything.....

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post

Why not tell it to the following VA police officers families that they were security guards:

Officer Marvin Wilcox

http://www.odmp.org/officer/14170-po...nard-b.-wilcox

Officer Mark Decker

http://www.odmp.org/officer/3957-pol...mark-s.-decker

Officer Ronald Hearn

http://www.odmp.org/officer/6297-pol...r-ronald-hearn

Officer Horst Harold Woods

http://www.odmp.org/officer/14706-po...t-harold-woods

And most recently

Officer Jose Oscar Rodriguez-Reyes

http://www.odmp.org/officer/16256-po...odriguez-reyes
    I always love it when folks pop off that the VA (and DOD places for that matter) is a "Security" gig..... not knowing what the hell they are talking about.

Just because you have visited a few facilities, you still have no idea what goes on....

That would be like me standing in front of the WH a few days then be an expert on what UD LEOs do.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by statebear View Post
    If you don't mind dealing with some action, have you looked at the Florida Highway Patrol?

I would suggest giving them a look, they have been hiring pretty steady lately and they give preference to prior military.

Not that I am biased towards being a Trooper or anything.....
    Funny you mentioned that I applied to them in Jan and I got a letter of eligibility today! I'm taking the cjbat in Apr and I will be sending it to FHP when I have the scores. And keep pushing on with it frm there.

Solo is how I roll
    Funny you mentioned that I applied to them in Jan and I got a letter of eligibility today! I'm taking the cjbat in Apr and I will be sending it to FHP when I have the scores. And keep pushing on with it frm there.
    Best of luck!

If you enjoy being your own boss, taking your ride home and the freedom to work anywhere you want within an assigned county or two, or if your like me, I tend to poach in other Trooper's counties because sometimes my two aren't enough......then being a Trooper is for you...

Forum Member
    The VA is what you make of it, we are police just like other any other fed police job LE/Security. We have our bad calls and we do write alot of paper, but if a person wants high speed police work don't become a federal police officer, the exception would be the US Park Police.

Forum Member
    I always love it when folks pop off that the VA (and DOD places for that matter) is a "Security" gig..... not knowing what the hell they are talking about.

Just because you have visited a few facilities, you still have no idea what goes on....

That would be like me standing in front of the WH a few days then be an expert on what UD LEOs do.....
    I'm not popping off as much as some here are chest thumping. I've spent quite a few years on military bases (almost 3 decades) and know many people who work at both VA hospitals and for contracted base security.

Just because a gate security guard shoots someone who tries to infiltrate the base does not change what his day to day job is.
    I'm not making any less of that job or VA hospital police. I'm just saying if your looking for the work associated with traditional policing you will find yourself quite bored.

Don't use the names of dead officers so you can chest thump. Their deaths are no less important than any other officers are. The fact remains that if you read their bios they were all shot while they were in the security guard mode. One was siting at a metal detector, a couple were ambushed for no apparent reason, and two of them had only pepper spray on them because thats all the VA allowed them to carry. This is the nature of those jobs. You are seldomn challenged and as a result you get lulled into condition green.

My comments were completely to point out the nature of the work so please don't lecture me as though I'm stepping on these officers graves.

Operator
    I'm not popping off

Yeah...you are.....you are mouthing that folks that work @ VA Hospitals don't live up to your standards as LEOs...and that's not right.... Further...you mouth them...you are mouting all folks that work those types of positions.....

Who gives two sh its if they are in security guard mode of LEO Mode....they were doing their jobs as LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS....

If you look down at them because of such....then thats on your crusty old ***.....and makes you look like an asshat.......an even bigger one since folks have given their lives so you can feel safe at the VA Hospital, on post, or when you are visiting a Gov building such as the Pentagon.....and you act like they are some sort of third class guard.......

So keep on steping on their graves...as it makes you show what a real asshat you are.......

And I don't care about any service you have military wise....you start acting like you are better than those folks.....all that goes out the door in my book... If that bothers you....oh freaking well...... They pin a badge on....put a gun belt, soft body armor, and uniform just like anyone else walking the THIN BLUE LINE.......

Forum Member
    Yeah...you are.....you are mouthing that folks that work @ VA Hospitals don't live up to your standards as LEOs...and that's not right.... Further...you mouth them...you are mouting all folks that work those types of positions.....

Who gives two sh its if they are in security guard mode of LEO Mode....they were doing their jobs as LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS....

If you look down at them because of such....then thats on your crusty old ***.....and makes you look like an asshat.......an even bigger one since folks have given their lives so you can feel safe at the VA Hospital, on post, or when you are visiting a Gov building such as the Pentagon.....and you act like they are some sort of third class guard.......

So keep on steping on their graves...as it makes you show what a real asshat you are.......

And I don't care about any service you have military wise....you start acting like you are better than those folks.....all that goes out the door in my book... If that bothers you....oh freaking well...... They pin a badge on....put a gun belt, soft body armor, and uniform just like anyone else walking the THIN BLUE LINE.......
    I'm not sure what crawled up your ass bear but do you mind showing me where I said anything here other than what the nature of the job is? Is there some mysterious post here where I said I was better than them or anyone else?

I think the OP would since he's inquiring about the job. Is it not fair that he at least know the difference in the work they do?

Ok, what does that have to do with telling someone about the differences in the jobs?

Again, what statement did I make to justify this reponse?

And I don't care about any service you have military wise....you start acting like you are better than those folks.....all that goes out the door in my book... If that bothers you....oh freaking well...... They pin a badge on....put a gun belt, soft body armor, and uniform just like anyone else walking the THIN BLUE LINE
    Again, more drama on your part but I ask one more time, what statement did I make that said I was better than anyone.

It sounds like you are the one who thinks security work is some how less important than traditional police work. Neither is more important than the other unless your employed in one thinking you were going to be doing the other.

A lot of people don't want to put up with the crap that normal city, county, or state police work endures. Many others love that work and don't want to be confined to a particular building or told they can only carry pepper spray. We can't be adults and identify the differences in the job because your hyper sensitive?

I suggest you put your ego in check and allow adults to have a conversation. Your attacks are way over the top and are beginning to make you look foolish, especially when everyone can go back and read my statements.
    Last edited by leesrt; 03-11-2010 at 05:20 AM.

Operator
    Your attacks are way over the top and are beginning to make you look foolish, especially when everyone can go back and read my statements.
    Only attacks on here come from you.....mouthing and degrading what VA Cops do....

As stated....I could care less about your service when you start mouthing fellow LEOs.....

Go back to your hole you crusty, bitter old man......

Forum Member
    Only attacks on here come from you.....mouthing and degrading what VA Cops do....

As stated....I could care less about your service when you start mouthing fellow LEOs.....

Go back to your hole you crusty, bitter old man......
    Still can't show where I did that huh?

Your not use to people calling you out when you falsely attack them are you? You can call me old, but you are clearly acting juvenile, regardless of your age.

Solo is how I roll
    I’ll take a stab at this and try to calm the waters, before this thread gets nuked by the Mods…..

I get the feeling DirtSailor is well aware of a VA's police officers role and responsibilities. He is a current MA and I believe has stated he has worked with DoD LEOs before. So, I don’t see the purpose in anyone getting on here calling DoD guy’s duties “security work” or the the VA dude's gig. They are providing a LE service to a government facility, go act a fool in a VA hospital and I am sure anyone will find out with the quickness just how POLICE they are. Same thing with the DoD guys.

I remember back in the day, I stopped a civilian in the base housing area of McGuire AFB for speeding. Dude, pretty much told me to go get bent, he was a civilian and I couldn’t write him any tickets. That was the sweetest 1805 I have ever written, the look on his face when I gave it to him was priceless. Yes, Mr. Civilian found out that day just how much real Police an AF SP was that day…..

So regardless of who we work for, if you wear a badge, strap a gun on your waist and have powers of arrest your a cop in my book and I will treat you as such. Like have I said before, everybody’s playground is different, some bigger some smaller, but in the end the size doesn’t make you any less of a cop. How you carry yourself defines that.....

Besides everybody knows State Troopers are the real Popo…................
    Last edited by statebear; 03-11-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by statebear View Post
    I’ll take a stab at this and try to calm the waters, before this thread gets nuked by the Mods…..

I get the feeling DirtSailor is well aware of a VA's police officers role and responsibilities. He is a current MA and I believe has stated he has worked with DoD LEOs before. So, I don’t see the purpose in anyone getting on here calling DoD guy’s duties “security work” or the the VA dude's gig. They are providing a LE service to a government facility, go act a fool in a VA hospital and I am sure anyone will find out with the quickness just how POLICE they are. Same thing with the DoD guys.

I remember back in the day, I stopped a civilian in the base housing area of McGuire AFB for speeding. Dude, pretty much told me to go get bent, he was a civilian and I couldn’t write him any tickets. That was the sweetest 1805 I have ever written, the look on his face when I gave it to him was priceless. Yes, Mr. Civilian found out that day just how much real Police an AF SP was that day…..

So regardless of who we work for, if you wear a badge, strap a gun on your waist and have powers of arrest your a cop in my book and I will treat you as such. Like have I said before, everybody’s playground is different, some bigger some smaller, but in the end the size doesn’t make you any less of a cop. How you carry yourself defines that.....

Besides everybody knows State Troopers are the real Popo…................

Yeah... this wasn't what I intended to do with this post. I just wanted to know about how the Pay Bines hospital hired 0083s for the Ft. Myers OPC. I'm well aware of what 0083s and the differing roles they work in depending on the installation. I just need a job when I get out thats all lol. If it's not what I really want right away I can deal with 0083 until I do get what I want. I've been doing the 0083 job (as an MA) since I got out of A-School(minus 1 year in Afghanistan) it's not what I want to do, but I have done it and I can do it until I get where I want to be at. Unless I get there first! (I have my fingers crossed that I do)

Solo is how I roll
    Yeah... this wasn't what I intended to do with this post. I just wanted to know about how the Pay Bines hospital hired 0083s for the Ft. Myers OPC. I'm well aware of what 0083s and the differing roles they work in depending on the installation. I just need a job when I get out thats all lol. If it's not what I really want right away I can deal with 0083 until I do get what I want. I've been doing the 0083 job (as an MA) since I got out of A-School(minus 1 year in Afghanistan) it's not what I want to do, but I have done it and I can do it until I get where I want to be at. Unless I get there first! (I have my fingers crossed that I do)
    Bro, the grass is as green as you make it on the other side. Set your goal , never give up and never quit and I guarantee you will get there. I wanted to be a Trooper after I got out, instead I took a city gig for a few years, until my chance came. Just remember this, no matter the gig, do the best you can at it, take pride in your work and always give 110 percent, it will only help in the long run in achieving your ultimate goal.

I sit my patrol car sometimes and I still can't believe I am doing it, much less getting paid to do it!

Good luck!
    Last edited by statebear; 03-11-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last