Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Burbs
    Posts
    55

    Off Duty Carry for Corrections

    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...2&SessionID=76

    Short Description: CORRECTIONAL OFFICER-FIREARMS

    Senate Sponsors
    Sen. J. Bradley Burzynski

    Hearings
    Public Health Hearing Mar 2 2010 1:00PM Capitol 212 Springfield


    Last Action
    Date Chamber Action
    2/24/2010 Senate Assigned to Public Health

    Statutes Amended In Order of Appearance
    720 ILCS 5/24-2
    730 ILCS 5/3-2-12 new
    730 ILCS 125/27 new


    Synopsis As Introduced
    Amends the Criminal Code of 1961, the Unified Code of Corrections, and the County Jail Act. Permits currently employed and retired State correctional officers and county correctional officers to carry their own firearms off duty without being in violation of the unlawful use of weapons and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon statutes if they meet certain training requirements.

    Actions
    Date Chamber Action
    2/10/2010 Senate Filed with Secretary by Sen. J. Bradley Burzynski
    2/10/2010 Senate First Reading
    2/10/2010 Senate Referred to Assignments
    2/24/2010 Senate Assigned to Public Health

  2. #2
    Zoo Keeper
    ccsd0601's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    868
    They're passing this around the compound. Now, I thought that since we have peace officer status, we're protected by H.R. 218?
    Sincerely, Harry Balczak

  3. #3
    YOU BOYS LIKE MEXEEECO?
    cclawdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,191
    So is this a push FOR OD carry for thise who are only allowed to carry to and from work? If so than bring it. And yes....we fall under HR218 cuz of our peace officer status.
    One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    rgw1977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    264
    The "peace officer" status of county correctional officers or deputies all depends on the particular county you work for. Some are simply correctional officers or deputies and some are deputy sheriff's assigned to the correctional division. Heck, in our county, the dispatchers and records personnel are deputized, does that mean they can carry also? LOL! This is just another case where there is much variation in each counties interpretation of the wonderful numerous laws our state has enacted.
    What not to openly admit in the Officer.com Forums: "I AM an active member of I.P.R." - Riggs45

    "Please let me know, Thank you." in honor of Chitown2210

    “What's right is what's left if you've done everything else wrong.” - Robin Williams

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Burbs
    Posts
    55
    Yes it is a push for those that do not have peace officer status off the job. Such as IDOC.Also there is a senate bill to allow State Attorney's to carry weapons off duty.

    Peoria is also asking to be a test city for a pilot concealed carry program for Illinois.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    mjw5678's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    695
    Our CO's have Deputy Status but are not Sworn Peace Officers.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Madison, Wi
    Posts
    44
    For all the genius's on this board. All county CO's are deputy sheriffs. All are protected by HR 218. All are sworn peace officers. It is merely ur counties general orders that decide what you are allowed to do.
    Any CO can carry off duty and the only problem that could arise would be a write up or discipline from their county.

    It's messed up that alot of county CO's can't carry cause the are the ones that deal with criminals all day every day.
    Last edited by McHenrysFinest; 03-03-2010 at 05:47 PM.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    216
    Post Deleted By Author
    Last edited by LEJAmav; 03-19-2010 at 03:19 AM.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    41_55_53_N 88_45_1_W
    Posts
    137

    asdfds

    No.

    County C.O. does not authomatically = Deputy Sheriff.

    I ain't a genius, but I know the above to be fact.


    ~

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    mjw5678's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    695
    yea why would I know how the CO I work for does things. Our CO's are non-sworn and where just given non sworn Deputy Sheriff status within the last year or two. Before that they carried the title of Correctional Officer only. They can carry to and from and on Transports thats it. I suggest you do your homework Mchenrys finest.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    cityblusuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by McHenrysFinest View Post
    For all the genius's on this board. All county CO's are deputy sheriffs. All are protected by HR 218. All are sworn peace officers. It is merely ur counties general orders that decide what you are allowed to do.
    Any CO can carry off duty and the only problem that could arise would be a write up or discipline from their county.

    It's messed up that alot of county CO's can't carry cause the are the ones that deal with criminals all day every day.
    Suffice it to say that you are WRONG!!!!
    You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

  12. #12
    Zoo Keeper
    ccsd0601's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    868
    I thought that Cook County Correctional Officers were the only COs with peace officer status. Will County, for example, have Deputy Sheriff's which have peace officer status/full police powers (they're on the road and do the general patrol of of the county), and the Correctional Officers are not sworn, nor do they have peace officer status. I believe the same is for Lake, and McHenry County.
    Sincerely, Harry Balczak

  13. #13
    Whats In Your Wallet?
    D.T.O.M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago Metro Area, IL
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by McHenrysFinest View Post
    For all the genius's on this board. All county CO's are deputy sheriffs. All are protected by HR 218. All are sworn peace officers. It is merely ur counties general orders that decide what you are allowed to do.
    Any CO can carry off duty and the only problem that could arise would be a write up or discipline from their county.

    It's messed up that alot of county CO's can't carry cause the are the ones that deal with criminals all day every day.

    You are wrong sir.

    In fact, I really hope you dont work for McHenry and are saying this.

    McHenry CO's are NOT deputies, and are not protected under HR 218. You do not have arrest authorityh by statute because you are not deputized by the sheriff.

    How do I know this? I WORKED FOR THEM.


    Unless you have a liittle card in your wallet that says you are A DEPUTY, or deputized in any way, you have no peace officer powers as a CO.



    Oh and it states you are from madison, wi. If you work there you would also know that not ALL CO's in WIS are deputized as well. as with IL, as a CO you are technicaly considered a "peace officer" but are not automaticaly granted police or peace officer powers, hence HR 218 does not cover you, nor will the department.

    In IL you have to be deputized by the county sheriff. VERY FEW counties out here do this, at least in northern IL. The few I know of are DuPage, Cook County, Dekalb, Kendall, Whiteside, and Lasalle. Those are the ones I KNOW are deputized off the top of my head, and are all counties I encountered while in the academy.

    Kane and Will SAY their CO's are "Deputies" but are not given any police powers or off duty carry ability.
    Last edited by M.C.S.D; 03-03-2010 at 10:25 PM.
    "Sgt, this guy says he wants to talk to some one who knows whats going on."
    "So tell him to call Jessie Jackson"


    " Negative, I am currently 10-96 with a 10-98"


  14. #14
    Whats In Your Wallet?
    D.T.O.M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago Metro Area, IL
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsd0601 View Post
    I thought that Cook County Correctional Officers were the only COs with peace officer status. Will County, for example, have Deputy Sheriff's which have peace officer status/full police powers (they're on the road and do the general patrol of of the county), and the Correctional Officers are not sworn, nor do they have peace officer status. I believe the same is for Lake, and McHenry County.
    Nope, there are a few others.

    Actually Dupage have one up on Cook also, they are given FULL police powers and are not considered "CO's". Deputies are REQUIRED to start in the jail with the ability after so many years to transfer to patrol. They even wear the same uniforms and everything as Patrol. In fact, if you look at their credentials, uniforms, badges, ect. they are all the same. You couldnt tell who works in the jail and who is on the road. Deputies in the jail and courts can also get onto specialized teams that have NOTHING to do with the jail or courts. Except SWAT I believe.

    Now some of that is the same as Cook (having to start in the jail and having some police powers).

    From what I know of DuPage as well, they back their officers a bit more.
    "Sgt, this guy says he wants to talk to some one who knows whats going on."
    "So tell him to call Jessie Jackson"


    " Negative, I am currently 10-96 with a 10-98"


  15. #15
    Whats In Your Wallet?
    D.T.O.M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago Metro Area, IL
    Posts
    807
    The only thing about this bill that I think is kind of crappy is that fact that individuals would have to pay for the off duty firearms course themselves, instead of it being part of the initial training from ILETASB.
    "Sgt, this guy says he wants to talk to some one who knows whats going on."
    "So tell him to call Jessie Jackson"


    " Negative, I am currently 10-96 with a 10-98"


  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central US
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsd0601 View Post
    I thought that Cook County Correctional Officers were the only COs with peace officer status. Will County, for example, have Deputy Sheriff's which have peace officer status/full police powers (they're on the road and do the general patrol of of the county), and the Correctional Officers are not sworn, nor do they have peace officer status. I believe the same is for Lake, and McHenry County.
    Will County COs carry the title "Deputy Correctional Officer" and are sworn in the first day on the job. Unfortunately, their general orders clearly state that they are not allowed to carry any firearms off duty. But then again, if COs are covered by HR 218 but not departemental policy, then the risk is simply possible discipline for carrying vs not being protected.
    Last edited by dreamstealer; 03-05-2010 at 07:37 AM.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    ftlaudcop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    ft lauderdale
    Posts
    2,724
    Quote Originally Posted by The Axolotl View Post
    No.

    County C.O. does not authomatically = Deputy Sheriff.

    I ain't a genius, but I know the above to be fact.


    ~
    in illinois, does the sheriff have the power to appoint

    correctional officer or deputy sheriff's.- with c/o certification

    i knew people who got in a jam while in the jail and their bogus certificate
    of appointment listed correctional officer with deputy sheriff lined out and a sharp lawyer just looked up the powers and duties of sheriff and no where does it say he can appoint correctional officers.
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Madison, Wi
    Posts
    44
    MCSD- thats odd, cause when i go on transports and sign the papers, I have to sign after the "x" that says deputy, and when I go to court they call me deputy, not Correctional officer...........and when i get paperwork to show up to court it reads "Deputy "my name"...............im so confused.........plus didnt you get fired from here? I believe you did. Then got in trouble doing security at a hospital for using unauthorized force...................im so confused.
    I am pretty sure it was clearly explained to us in the academy that its merely counties general orders that change the job title.
    U are awesome though. Ill just assume that your right and all the legal papers I have signed and what not have been fraudulant, and that the states attorney is retarded.

    Did you get hired by another department or do you just troll around here for free? If so, I hope you have comcast to get the most out of your internet trolling/exploits.....oh yeah, apparently you work for comcast now....can you get me some free cable? If so I will let you wear my uniform and relive your glory days.
    Furthermore, I must make further corrections to your posts. In dupage you dont HAVE to start in the jail. It all depends on who you know over there. It is only my home county and my best friend has been there for 20 years, and I went to the academy with about 8 of them (I am sure you did too, cause you are awesome). You do usually start in the jail but it depends on who you know. Its all up to the big guy.
    Secondly, Kane county is indeed Deputized, their badges say "Deptuty Sheriff" on it, and above to the left it says corrections. They also have the sheriffs law enforcement pension retirement. It is merely their general orders that take away off duty arrest and carry, how do I know this you ask, well one of my best friends has been working there for quite sometime also. But maybe he is a liar, maybe I am wrong. I, unlike you seemingly, can admit that I may be wrong from time to time.

    While I have noticed that you get off on being the "know it all guy", I just hope that you have gotten hired elsewhere by now. And if so hopefully its not on patrol because you are on here WAYYYYYY to much.


    Any updates anyone on this bill? Also I would assume that even if this passes it would not override General Orders of our employers.
    Last edited by McHenrysFinest; 03-06-2010 at 02:36 AM.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    216
    Post Deleted By Author
    Last edited by LEJAmav; 03-19-2010 at 03:19 AM.

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    mjw5678's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by McHenrysFinest View Post
    MCSD- thats odd, cause when i go on transports and sign the papers, I have to sign after the "x" that says deputy, and when I go to court they call me deputy, not Correctional officer...........and when i get paperwork to show up to court it reads "Deputy "my name"...............im so confused.........plus didnt you get fired from here? I believe you did. Then got in trouble doing security at a hospital for using unauthorized force...................im so confused.
    I am pretty sure it was clearly explained to us in the academy that its merely counties general orders that change the job title.
    U are awesome though. Ill just assume that your right and all the legal papers I have signed and what not have been fraudulant, and that the states attorney is retarded.

    Did you get hired by another department or do you just troll around here for free? If so, I hope you have comcast to get the most out of your internet trolling/exploits.....oh yeah, apparently you work for comcast now....can you get me some free cable? If so I will let you wear my uniform and relive your glory days.
    Furthermore, I must make further corrections to your posts. In dupage you dont HAVE to start in the jail. It all depends on who you know over there. It is only my home county and my best friend has been there for 20 years, and I went to the academy with about 8 of them (I am sure you did too, cause you are awesome). You do usually start in the jail but it depends on who you know. Its all up to the big guy.
    Secondly, Kane county is indeed Deputized, their badges say "Deptuty Sheriff" on it, and above to the left it says corrections. They also have the sheriffs law enforcement pension retirement. It is merely their general orders that take away off duty arrest and carry, how do I know this you ask, well one of my best friends has been working there for quite sometime also. But maybe he is a liar, maybe I am wrong. I, unlike you seemingly, can admit that I may be wrong from time to time.

    While I have noticed that you get off on being the "know it all guy", I just hope that you have gotten hired elsewhere by now. And if so hopefully its not on patrol because you are on here WAYYYYYY to much.


    Any updates anyone on this bill? Also I would assume that even if this passes it would not override General Orders of our employers.
    Their badges say Deputy on top and Corrections on the bottom, and they are NON SWORN IN KANE COUNTY. Also the GO clearly defines them as Correctional Officers, not Deputy,nor does any where in the GO does it refer to them as Deputy. The Sheriffs Police are the only Sworn Deputy Sheriffs in Kane CO. Why dont you shoot me a PM with who your friend is here in Kane CO.
    Last edited by mjw5678; 03-06-2010 at 04:34 AM.

  21. #21
    Forum Member
    mjw5678's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    695
    Straight from Mchenrys website,

    Apply Now!
    *Correctional Officer
    *Merited Deputy Sheriff
    *Seasonal Marine Patrol

    if all were Deputies it would not seperate them for employment. Go to Dupages website, you will see you can only apply to be a Deputy.

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    HapkidoKa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    627
    Anyway the bill was sent to sibcommitee where it is likely to die.

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    mjw5678's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    695
    Dont get me wrong I truly do believe C/O's should be allowed to carry off duty for their own protection.

  24. #24
    Whats In Your Wallet?
    D.T.O.M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago Metro Area, IL
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by McHenrysFinest View Post
    MCSD- thats odd, cause when i go on transports and sign the papers, I have to sign after the "x" that says deputy, and when I go to court they call me deputy, not Correctional officer...........and when i get paperwork to show up to court it reads "Deputy "my name"...............im so confused.........plus didnt you get fired from here? I believe you did. Then got in trouble doing security at a hospital for using unauthorized force...................im so confused.
    I am pretty sure it was clearly explained to us in the academy that its merely counties general orders that change the job title.
    U are awesome though. Ill just assume that your right and all the legal papers I have signed and what not have been fraudulant, and that the states attorney is retarded.

    Did you get hired by another department or do you just troll around here for free? If so, I hope you have comcast to get the most out of your internet trolling/exploits.....oh yeah, apparently you work for comcast now....can you get me some free cable? If so I will let you wear my uniform and relive your glory days.
    Furthermore, I must make further corrections to your posts. In dupage you dont HAVE to start in the jail. It all depends on who you know over there. It is only my home county and my best friend has been there for 20 years, and I went to the academy with about 8 of them (I am sure you did too, cause you are awesome). You do usually start in the jail but it depends on who you know. Its all up to the big guy.
    Secondly, Kane county is indeed Deputized, their badges say "Deptuty Sheriff" on it, and above to the left it says corrections. They also have the sheriffs law enforcement pension retirement. It is merely their general orders that take away off duty arrest and carry, how do I know this you ask, well one of my best friends has been working there for quite sometime also. But maybe he is a liar, maybe I am wrong. I, unlike you seemingly, can admit that I may be wrong from time to time.

    While I have noticed that you get off on being the "know it all guy", I just hope that you have gotten hired elsewhere by now. And if so hopefully its not on patrol because you are on here WAYYYYYY to much.


    Any updates anyone on this bill? Also I would assume that even if this passes it would not override General Orders of our employers.
    Apparently you know all.


    Lets squash the little crap.

    First and formost, you dont know me, nor anything about me, so id be carefull to pass judgement. I didnt get fired from the Sheriff's department, i left because of personal problems that required me to move 2 hours away. If you think you know all why dont you go talk to the now Chief. In fact why dont you let me know who you are because im sure that he would LOVE to know that one of "deputies" (as you put it) has an issue and carries himself so well. BTW does he know you live in Madison? GO's clearly state you must live in a boardering county NOT including WI. Didnt get fired from the hospital POLICE job either there fella. Left for the same problem I had to leave the county.

    You are right about Dupage, you can get on depending on who you know. Same thing with McHenry too, and since you are in the jail you obviously dont know much yourself.


    You obviously didnt pay much attention in the academy. I went through Dupage, I paid attention while there, in fact I was the top of my class, how bout you go ask Mondelli about your little claim? Better yet, go ask Chief Sedlock, im sure he will whole heartedly agree with you.

    I took the oath of a correctional officer, same as you. No where in there or on my credentials did it state I had ANY authority as a deputy sheriff, nor was I deputized. Read the law as it applies to County Correctional officers in Illinois. No where does it state all county co's are deputies. It is at the discretion of the Sheriff to appoint that title, and Nygren will never do it. I still have family that work at the jail there, who started when the CO's WERE deputies, and im sure he will tell you all of the same things I am.

    Oh and the reason you sign on that little line? Its because you are taking custody of the prisoner. They put the title deputy there because it is a standardized form. Look at the form from Lake county, they say Deputy/Correctional Officer.

    Go ask a booking officer if you are allowed to sign a warrant. You arent. Same with Writ's. Ever wonder why there are certain forms that you have to call in a Road deputy to sign? Well maybe you arent smart enough to have worked in booking, but there are those forms which you will get slammed if you sign without a deputy signing them. Ask the Booking Sgt.

    I dont know if you are new and only think you know what you heard, but you dont know anything.

    McHenry County CO's are only CO's. You are NOT deputies. Not only can you not carry off duty, or have arrest powers off duty, you dont even have them ON duty. You can only take custody. Ive been to court too, was always called officer not deputy....... maybe you are special though.

    And yes, I work for comcast and am a private security contrator....making more then I did with the county, im not not ashamed of that. Im also in the process with a few departments. Ive got plenty of time to get hired.

    Good luck in your career, CO.


    Oh and heres a little lesson for you too, there is nothing wrong with being "just" a CO. You dont have to be a deputy to have pride in the job you do. I did, and wish I didnt have to give it up, but you have to deal with the hands you are delt.
    Last edited by M.C.S.D; 03-08-2010 at 01:45 AM.
    "Sgt, this guy says he wants to talk to some one who knows whats going on."
    "So tell him to call Jessie Jackson"


    " Negative, I am currently 10-96 with a 10-98"


  25. #25
    Whats In Your Wallet?
    D.T.O.M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago Metro Area, IL
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw5678 View Post
    Straight from Mchenrys website,

    Apply Now!
    ��*Correctional Officer
    ��*Merited Deputy Sheriff
    ��*Seasonal Marine Patrol

    if all were Deputies it would not seperate them for employment. Go to Dupages website, you will see you can only apply to be a Deputy.


    Thats because they are not deputies. The sheriff does not want them to be, too much liability. I was a CO for this county.
    "Sgt, this guy says he wants to talk to some one who knows whats going on."
    "So tell him to call Jessie Jackson"


    " Negative, I am currently 10-96 with a 10-98"


Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register